HELP! Intermittent iLok problem
Tubthumper
20th December 2006
Old 20th December 2006
Lives for gear

HELP! Intermittent iLok problem

I’ve been having intermittent problems with my iLok + PTLE 6.4cs9.

(My PC: a previous-generation “Allenstein”: AMD Athlon 64 3400+, ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard, etc.)

Here’s the deal: sometimes I can boot the PC with the iLok in it’s regular (rear-mounted) USB port – where it had been working just fine throughout the previous session mind you – and it doesn’t show in the “safely remove hardware” icon list, and will not function to authorise plugs within PTLE.

I then remove the iLok from the port, re-insert it, and it’s then one of three possible outcomes:
1. I get a “USB device not recognised” message from Windows. The iLok will not show in the “safely remove hardware” icon list and will not authorise plugs within PTLE.
2. The iLok will show in the “safely remove hardware” icon list but will not authorise plugs within PTLE.
3. Or it will work just fine.

I’ve tried other USB ports – same results.

Another thing I’ve noticed: if it does show in the “safely remove hardware” icon list and I click “stop” in order to safely remove it, sometimes the light on the iLok remains on, even though Windows shows a dialog box confirming that the hardware has been safely closed and can be removed from the system.

I’ve used other USB devices with this system and they generally work fine. I say generally because ONCE when I inserted a USB flash drive I got a “USB device not recognised” message. This occurred on one occasion immediately after I inserted the iLok and Windows failed to recognise it. Apart from this one occasion the flash drive works as expected.

In Device Manager: everything looks cool. Nothing of note in the USB section or anywhere else. In the BIOS I have USB2 activated and HIGH SPEED activated also.

Some background info: I had a motherboard fail on me last year. It was replaced under warranty. The techo who installed the replacement thought he was doing the right thing when he installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 on the machine: when I found this out I asked him to revert to Service Pack 1 as I was running an older version of PTLE v6.4 that did not support SP2. He did this (reverted to SP1, but did not re-install Windows from scratch) – since then I have run the SP2 upgrade CD supplied to me by Microsoft + upgraded to the SP2-compatible version of PTLE (6.4cs9) + installed the latest version of the iLok driver.

Sorry for the long post. Anyone have any ideas? I’m about to kick the shit out of the PC……
20th December 2006
Old 20th December 2006
Lives for gear

get a new one. $40. not worth losing your licences.
Tubthumper
20th December 2006
Old 20th December 2006
Lives for gear

I'm unsure as to whether it's the iLok itself or the motherboard or a driver/software issue.
GPl
20th December 2006
Old 20th December 2006
GPl
Lives for gear

How many other USB devices do you have hooked up to the puter? I find when I have several hooked up that some devices take a few re-insertions(that doesn't sound right) to get working again. And sometimes I have to move them to a different port. Now this is on my business puter. The audio one is a very striped down version of XP and there's not really anything connected to it except ilok and wireless mouse.
Tubthumper
20th December 2006
Old 20th December 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Michael, nothing except iLok loaded. Keyboard and mouse both PS2.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search