presonus firestudio VS. MOTU Traveler
New Reply
Subscribe
osci
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Gear nut

presonus firestudio VS. MOTU Traveler

It is a bit of a silly story but I traded in my RME Multiface for a TC Konnekt 24D, and then traded it in for the MOTU Traveler. I liked the sound of the Konnekt 24D very much and would have stuck with that but it did not work with ableton live, that and it was a little short on the ins and outs. I am not totaly happy with the sound of the Traveler. I was wondering if anyone has actualy listened to the Firestudio for more than a few min in a store. I would love to hear what some other folks think. I am going to try and get some time to A/B the two but time is one thing that I dont have much of.
osci
7th December 2006
Old 7th December 2006
Gear nut

Ok to get back to myself I have now traded in my traveler for a Firestudio. The bottom line is that it sounds way better. getting into more detail is something I will spare you all frome having to deal with. The setup was DEAD SIMPLE. The mix software is very clear and well setup on first impression. I can rout my in's and out's the way I need to with no fuss, not like the Traveler. And to top it all off my cpu meter in Ableton live is stable and smooth where as with the Traveler it would jump around quite abit always leaving me feeling a little uneasy as to when I would start hearing clicks and pops. So my review if you could call it that is that the Firestudio sounds very dam good. I would be interested to sit down for an afternoon listening to it against the RME Fireface. Hmm might have to get a friend down to the studio
26th December 2006
Old 26th December 2006
Gear addict

Interesting. I had my heart set on the Traveler and am just about ready to fork out the didge, but this looks really promising. Would love to hear more about it in comparison to the Traveler. Did you grab any sound samples to compare?
6th January 2007
Old 6th January 2007
Lives for gear

Keep us posted !

I too was leaning towards the Traveler. I would go RME 800, and I know many might think I am nuts... but I'm on the 'ol tight budget.

So my plan is to go along with the Traveler and later when I get my little tracking studio, either black lion it, or move upwards to a new unit.

I REALLY believe in good tracking and mixing, over better pre's and super duper AD's.

I believe in creativity and good mics

Clocks are a different story

But back to topic, check out the black lion mod and the numerous threads with samples all over this board.

I never owned a MOTU, but have seen them in action many times. CueMix is a brilliant masterpiece of software. If you tame it, you'll never want anything else (depending of course of your needs and workflow/setup)

For tracking and live, it's just amazing.
9th March 2007
Old 9th March 2007
Gear interested

I started a related thread: "Compare clock jitter specs on Firewire interfaces (Traveler, Firestudio, etc.)"
http://209.85.42.32/board/showthread...95#post1170195

Maybe I should have appended it here, but I don't know how to do that. Anyway, my question(s) are more specific to clock jitter specs... Hoagie
11th March 2007
Old 11th March 2007
Gear addict

Sir. Audio,
Give the firestudio a chance. The dsp mixer is one of the most complex out there, but it's so simple to understand and operate. I love the unit and love getting full bands into the studio and sending 6 to 7 stereo headphone mixes with ease.
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear interested

Drummin,

I see here and in other threads that you like the Firestudio (it looks pretty good to me too). Have you had the opportunity to make a direct comparison with a Traveler? Pres, converters, clock?

Anyone else?
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

Not exactly firestudio vs. traveler...but, I have both a firebox and an 828 mk2, and IMHO they are very similar, except when using the firebox in bus-powered mode (ie without the ac adapter) -- which adds a very unpleasant whine to the noisefloor in my studio. If anything I'd say the 828 is just a little more detailed. But all in all I'd say they're pretty interchangeable...and the firebox is a lot more portable, and about half the money. The 828 has more easily configurable hardware ins and outs, which can be nice.

Myself, I'm looking to upgrade soon, probably to apogee symphony....partially because of the sound quality and partially because I'm getting the random interface crap-outs I'm getting. I don't know if anyone else is having firewire audio issues, but both of these interfaces are crapping out, randomly, unexpectedly and it's a real PIA. I've read a bit on-line which suggests that a wide range of interfaces have had problems in os 10.4.xx.

I keep updating drivers, new operating systems, etc, hoping that it will be fixed, but it never is......Fortunately, it's also not a completely debilitating problem, usually a reboot solves things. But it is a buzz kill.

Maybe it'll be fixed when leopard and the new logic 8 with the new psychic mind controller come out.....but, then again maybe not. (in a way, I hope not, that way I HAVE to throw down the 4 g's on an apogee setup....http://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/thumb.gif)

Maybe that should have been a new thread....right now I'm kind of down on all firewire interfaces.....
14th March 2007
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

I dunno. I really like my traveler and I think it sound pretty darn good for what it is. Never heard the presonus but now I want to.
14th March 2007
Old 14th March 2007
Lives for gear

whoa. My last post was the post of the beast!!!!!
14th March 2007
Old 14th March 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyserial View Post
Not exactly firestudio vs. traveler...but, I have both a firebox and an 828 mk2, and IMHO they are very similar......
Myself, I'm looking to upgrade soon, probably to apogee symphony....partially because of the sound quality and partially because I'm getting the random interface crap-outs I'm getting. I don't know if anyone else is having firewire audio issues, but both of these interfaces are crapping out, randomly, unexpectedly and it's a real PIA. I've read a bit on-line which suggests that a wide range of interfaces have had problems in os 10.4.xx......
Polly S., My understanding (based in part on possibly anecdotal sources such as this forum) is that both Presonus and Motu have improved pres, converters and clocks since the Firebox and the 828MkII. So we may have a box of apples and oranges here.

On paper, the Apogee Ensemble looks brilliant. If I could afford it, that's what I'd be jumping on now... probably (or an 800). But (also anecdotally) I've heard and read that Apogee took a long time to get the firewire working, and may not even be there yet. So if firewire and drivers have become "a real PIA" for you, as you say, then take a hard look at the Apogee before you jump.

-- Hoagie
24th March 2007
Old 24th March 2007
Gear interested

Get your Traveler to Black Lion!

From a computer/driver perspective, the Motu products are quite stable, on either platform. If you would like your Traveler (or 828, or 2408 etc) to equal Radar in sonic performance, Black Lion Audio will get it there....
12th April 2007
Old 12th April 2007
Gear interested

Osci & Drummin & all Firestudio owners...

Is Presonus Firestudio able to put down the LATENCY

under the 3 ms

on this configuration:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 +, 2 GB RAM
Windows XP plus SP2

The software is:
Steinberg Nuendo 3

at the 24 bit / 96 KHz recording resolution ?

MrTNT
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search