Login / Register

Eliosound EQ, Sonalksis Comp vs UAD, URS?
New Reply
Subscribe
Lowas
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear addict

Eliosound EQ, Sonalksis Comp vs UAD, URS?

I'm demoing effects at the moment for tracking/pre-mastering ITB.
I don't have a UAD card or iLok key so I haven't been able to test them so if anyone has tested both I would appreciate some input, both for mixing and mastering.

From my tests I like Eliosound's EQ and Sonalksis SV-315, the Eliosound EQ seems to be able to "grab" the bass and add punch when used as a mastering EQ which I haven't been able to reproduce in other plugs, the SV-315 has a nice "silk" color to it and can pump up the volume better than other plugs I've tried without starting to sound ugly.

Both are very CPU efficient too so I don't need a card to take the load off my CPU really.

I've tried a lot of ITB compressors that seems to be really nice in adding color, warmth etc but tend to need 1-3dB more than the SV-315 to add similar punch, the way I see it's kind of decieving, I might just as well pull up the mixer faders.

What I'm very interested in is how the UAD plugs compare to these ones I mentioned, and URS too.

I'm 100% into Elisound because I don't want to be without that low-end punch, does UAD/URS have that? and about 80% into the Sonalksis, love it but might want more than 1 color compressor.

So if anyone has run both of these please post your thoughts, thx! :D
(If you can compare them to hardware that's great too.)

PS.I currently have Trash/Ozone3 as third party effects, that I use/like DS.
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
Quote:
I'm 100% into Elisound because I don't want to be without that low-end punch,
me too.. it rocks perfect EQ in my opinion.. very airy:D love that.
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
me too.. it rocks perfect EQ in my opinion.. very airy:D love that.
How would you describe airy so anyone might get it?
2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
How would you describe airy so anyone might get it?
Smile with your mouth open. Then blow with your mouth like your blowing out birthday candles, but keep your mouth open and smiling.

That.

2nd December 2006
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowas View Post
I'm 100% into Elisound because I don't want to be without that low-end punch, does UAD/URS have that? and about 80% into the Sonalksis, love it but might want more than 1 color compressor.
The Sonalksis SV-315 is a pretty transparent compressor, in my opinion. Not very colored (although your ear gets used to what it does after using it for a while.) If you're looking for a little more character, the UAD/URS would definately give you that. The UAD plugins have character/color for days, and the URS compressors, while not my favorite compressors, do have a certain splatty character that I like (at least the 1975.)

The UAD-1 plugins are great, but they may or may not be worth the price/hassle. Honestly, if I only had one software compressor, I might choose the SV-315 (either that or Waves SSL.) And I love the AirEQ as well. The URS EQ bundle would give you a little more color/variety, tho.

I'd suggest demoing the URS stuff. The UAD-1 plugins are as good as people say, but, again, hassle and price. Plus, with today's native processing power, I found it very frusterating to be bound to a DSP card.

Try the Massey stuff too! thumbsup
Lowas
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear addict

Price

Thanx all for your comments, there's a deal here on the UAD-1/UAD-1e card for around 500 euro with 500 USD to shop UAD plugs for so it's the eliosound/sonalksis combo that would be kind of pricey to me.

I want to add that the Sonalksis adds "depth/3D" too that I haven't been able to reproduce with the other plugs I've tested.

The Air thing on elisound seems to be nice on strings, I can imagine it sounds good on dull hihats, cymbals etc.

I run Sonar on a PC btw so no Massey for me.

I do feel like I need to demo the URS too before and if I decide to get the UAD.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Smile with your mouth open. Then blow with your mouth like your blowing out birthday candles, but keep your mouth open and smiling.

That.

I'm afraid so far that is about as good a description as I have found. Oh well.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam c View Post
I'm afraid so far that is about as good a description as I have found. Oh well.
LOL! Sorry, cracked out explaination, I suppose. The high end of a flute could be described as "airy." Also, the high end of many modern female vocal sounds might be described as "airy."

Oh! How about this! An eighteen-wheeler letting out it's brakes. That do anything for ya?
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL! Sorry, cracked out explaination, I suppose. The high end of a flute could be described as "airy." Also, the high end of many modern female vocal sounds might be described as "airy."

Oh! How about this! An eighteen-wheeler letting out it's brakes. That do anything for ya?
Yep, the 18 wheeler description is still better then the high end of a flute.
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

You cannot make something wrong with Eliosound. This EQ is amazing and my favorite.

For more coloring and "sound-forming" URS and UAD (you mean the Neve-Clones?) are superb. Eliosound AirEQ founds his home in my box side by side with the UAD-Neve EQs.

thumbsup for AirEQ

Frank Arnold
Musician and IT Freelancer

| | |
| |
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear Head

I use the same combo, the Air Eq and Sonalksis 315.

I used to have a UAD card but my machine got stolen, and i didn´t reinvest in a UAD, because i expected the native plugs to be just as good in a short time.

I think AirEq is more that just as good, it´s the best IMO.

But i still mis the Comp´s from UAD, i haven´t found anything quite like it yet.
But i REALLY don´t mis the card limits, the latency, not being able to use it on my laptop and the sometimes strange compatibility of the UADcard. So i´m not going to buy one again.
Lowas
3rd December 2006
Old 3rd December 2006
Gear addict

Back to square one! :/

I've been testing hi mid boost on heavy rock guitar atm and here I feel Elisound doesn't deliver at all, it's not bad but it's not to my taste, I feel it would make a DI recorded guitar sound more DI recorded :/

The Sonalksis EQ has a "creamy" hi mid to me and sounds the most OTB for me at this freq, it seems to glue things together a bit.

Hydratone(FF 110 band, 0 Fire, Normal) is brutal at the hi mid in a good way, would use it on some metal for sure, CPU hog but will keep it in mind for premastering in the future.
The Elisound boosting the low and Sonalksis/Hydratone EQ boosting the hi mid sounded very good.

I really need a color eq too I think, especially for DI recorded guitar where good mid really can make it sound a bit better.

I've ditched the idea about UAD because of the slight hazzle it might cause.

So I will probably buy the iLok key just so I can at least try some URS plugs and put them head to head vs Sonalksis and Elisound.

I appreciate more tips and comments, keep em coming! :P
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

you know, it depends on the source.

and I like to cut more with an EQ than to boost.

I use the URS EQs, Sonalksis and Eliosound, and every EQ has it's meaning. on my last project I boosted the guitars with eliosound EQ a bit in the upper mids, while I made an highpass at 150Hz with the sonalksis.

cheers
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I dont want to do that
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear Head

I have the UAD neve 1073,ssl4000 and URS s series all very good and although I love em all just tried the eliosound and it rocks together with either ther SSL comp or the UAD LA2 comp.Also really good on mastering into any old limiter.It could now be my fav!
Lowas
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
you know, it depends on the source.
and I like to cut more with an EQ than to boost.
I've been testing it on "rich" sources, which to me is something that can stand a lot of eq tweaking, in this case I played ACDC's Back in Black, it has always been my fav band and I'm familiar with their sound on all albums, live etc.

The Eliosound gave me a little "mesaboogie"-era feel of ACDC which doesn't have to be bad, it's certainly excellent in it's own way :P, to me ACDC's newest stuff is a little bit too much of the "vintage-past" sound.

I've used boosting in my tests because this is where I've been most unhappy in the past with ITB EQ's, I almost never use EQ to boost, it's the one thing I've always tried to avoid ITB, I will if I get Eliosound or something similar tho :P

I just fooled around with a drumloop now and the Eliosound "grabbed" the snare and gave it the right snap/mid/punch, I was impressed to say the least.

The Eliosound seems to be able to sound like you did EQ on an individual track when using it on a stereomix.

I'm gonna test Sonar's vintage channel when I get it next week to try it for that "creamy" vintage mid that I found in the Sonalksis, I would love to have them all but cant afford it atm :P
4th December 2006
Old 4th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
I dont want to do that
man you don't know what your missing
Lowas
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Gear addict

New fav on the compside is PSP mixpressor :P
Mixpressor for punch and SV-315 for smooth.
5th December 2006
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowas View Post

I just fooled around with a drumloop now and the Eliosound "grabbed" the snare and gave it the right snap/mid/punch, I was impressed to say the least.
the above and also the high freq (not airband) on this thing is unlike anything I've used/abused ITB. I just can't get my hands down, it's as simple as that.
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

And my hands came down today like a ton of bricks when I reloaded a song I was working on last night, and Aireq had reset. All of the fukkin Aireq's had reset (no I don't have the demo version). I love it when protection schemes screw the customers. What a waste of time.

Yes I'm dfegad off
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Gear nut

Hi,

In an other thread, We have apologized for releasing version 1.2 with a bug : In this version, AirEQ will reset with songs made with earlier version.
We release last week a version 1.2.1 witch should fixe this issue.
If you didn't save your song with the reseted buggy AirEQ, you will find it correct with the new 1.2.1 version

I am very sorry for this
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Hi,

In an other thread, We have apologized for releasing version 1.2 with a bug : In this version, AirEQ will reset with songs made with earlier version.
We release last week a version 1.2.1 witch should fixe this issue.
If you didn't save your song with the reseted buggy AirEQ, you will find it correct with the new 1.2.1 version

I am very sorry for this
It actually happened with the latest one 1.21. And the problem wasn't the old songs. It was basically every song I've worked on for the past 2 days. I've uninstalled/reinstalled and it seems to be "remembering" stuff again, except for the L/R settings, when you toggle the plugin L/R info on the left side of the gui is gone and you have to reselect it. Could be my system, could be a bug.
You've made an exceptionally beautiful sounding plugin. I just don't wanna be crossing my fingers every time I open a saved project.
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Gear nut

You can trust your system. I will check it this version an other time and look for this problem.
I understand your frustration and we won't leave you in this state.
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Lives for gear

Pretty random now. Some of the eq's are saved and some are reset, all within the same song. It does not correctly/consistently save settings.

Do you have a link to version 1.1 as I've deleted mine and would like to use that one until this has been sorted.

Thanks.
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Gear nut

Could you please contact us with the following link. It will be easier for us to manage and follow this problem. And by the way, could you give us more informations on your system (processor,os and host)

http://www.eliosound.com/contact

I will send you a link for version 1.1.1
Lowas
6th December 2006
Old 6th December 2006
Gear addict

Just a little update since I've gotten to test some more plugs.

Comps; GAC, Sonalksis, Mixpressor
I get GAC with the Sonar 6 upgrade so I'm not sure the others bring enough new things to the table atm, I like them tho.

EQ tracking/mixing/DIY mastering; PSP Neon(LP on/off), Eliosound, Ozone3(seems to lack Neon's/Eliosound's punch but seems good allround, also got an option for improved quality and soft saturation), I liked MasterQ too but already have Ozone3.

Trash for creative sounds, not only distorsion :P
Voxformer has a very nice unique flavor, haven't tried it on vox tho.

A lot of plugs I've tried sounds great at first but seems to make the overall sound smaller or more narrow, very subtle things, more ITB sounding than others one might say.

I've also taken stability, $ and CPU usage into account.

Take it for what it is but someone might find it helpful :P, I wasted a lot of time on so-so plugs imo and would find info like this helpful myself.

If you are looking for good plugs for the PC I would say it's a pretty good start to try these out.

I haven't tried the URS plugs yet tho, only thing left now almost :P
7th December 2006
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

And just a little update on my problem with Aireq resetting itself. Xavier was extremely attentive and helpful. The problem was not copy protection, and he has sent me a betafile that is working 100%.
Big thanks to Xavier who solved the problem without even being able to reproduce it himself. I am very impressed and at the same time glad to be a customer of such a dedicated and talented company.
7th December 2006
Old 7th December 2006
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

this is called customersupport:D
7th December 2006
Old 7th December 2006
Gear nut

Hello,

Thank you for your comments, but in fact I'm not very proud of releasing a buggy up-date

Here is a link for downloading the preview version 1.2.2 which seems to fixe the resetting of AirEQ issue :

ftp://ftp.eliosound.com/AirEQ

I hope this version will now work properly, without waste your time.
In this case, it will be officially released, in the other contact me at

http://www.eliosound.com/contact
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search