Login / Register

Any experience with 4930k on Asus X79 Deluxe?
New Reply
Subscribe
rgames
24th November 2013
Old 24th November 2013
Gear interested

Any experience with 4930k on Asus X79 Deluxe?

I just built a new DAW with a 4930k on the Asus X79 deluxe and I'm having trouble getting it to work as well as the i7920 / Asus P6T that it's replacing. I'm getting a few crackles on projects that didn't crackle on the old hardware. It's not a huge difference, and I didn't expect a huge increase in performance from the DAW standpoint, but it sure seems I ought to get at least the *same* performance I got on the i7 920.

Some relevant info:
Windows 8.1 (old machine was Windows 7)
Cubase 6.0.7 running mostly VE Pro over ethernet to two slaves
Fireface 800 connected via PCIe card w/ TI chipset (using Firewire 400 connection)
128 buffer
Latest versions of drivers/firmware/BIOS
LatencyMon looks basically the same on both machines

Things I've tried that make no difference:
EIST enable/disable
C states enable/disable
Min processor state in Windows power management options
Max processor multiplier (up to 40)
HPET enable/disable
Intel vs. Realtek network adapter

On the old system, I could get 1250 - 1500 voices from VI Pro on one slave before crackles. With the new DAW, it's more like 1000 - 1250. Note that the slave hasn't changed - it is exactly the same slave I used with the old master DAW. So I'm at a loss for where to look for the difference. Again, it seems to me I ought to be able to get at least the same performance, certainly not worse.

Any one have any tweaks for a 4930k / Asus X79 Deluxe / Win 8.1?

Thanks in advance,

rgames
www.rgamesmusic.com
25th November 2013
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

Richard,

It seems you're comparing the network performance of the new machine rather than the CPU/memory performance, no?

VE pro slaves are sending their audio visa Ethernet so that's the first place I'd look on your machine.

However I'd say that upgrading your machine won't boost the performance of your VE slaves though as the transfer via Ethernet will be the same.

MC
25th November 2013
Old 25th November 2013
Lives for gear

My guess would be the difference is Windows 8 vs Windows 7... especially if you're talking about a slave setup.

You should absolutely notice a significant difference still going from i7 920 to 4930K. The benchmarks really should a noticeable difference in instance counts... and I would assume the power also gets realized with polyphony. However.. obviously your slave machine is doign the polyphony. So... if the polyphony count isn't as hell... i'm guess it has something to do w/ the OS change. That's the only thing that looks really different. Theoertically... I would think you'd get the same slave performance no matter what CPU is in your main machine... that's the point right?

Send me an email. There are two Windows8 system changes that have to do with the OS's internal clock operating best for audio. They did make some changes. I just can't remember it off the top of my head, and I don't want to forget it. I'm PM'ing you my email address. It has something to do with "bcfedit dynamictick" on Win8, and there's two commands to run. I can't remember them off the top. I have the instructions saved at my studio computer.
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the network performance definitely plays a role. I tried both network connections and several different drivers. One set of drivers made it a lot worse but other than that there's no difference in performance.

I've been tweaking a bit more and have made the following observations:
  • Overclocking to x44 multiplier helps to get it pretty close to i7 920 performance at 3.8 GHz
  • The Intel network drivers that came with the motherboard are awful - the occurrence of crackles went *way* up when I tried those. I uninstalled them and went back to the Windows default and got better performance
  • My Canon Pro9000 printer driver causes a pretty significant increase in crackles, even when the printer is not connected. That's really weird...
  • I had been using some USB extensions with the old system and got a bit better performance when I removed them

So, bottom line, I got performance close to what I was getting on the i7 920 at 3.8 GHz (but still a bit shy) by making the tweaks mentioned above. I guess the X79 Deluxe motherboard just isn't as friendly as the P6T.

Still doesn't make sense that I had to remove hardware and overclock a lot more to get performance that is still not quite what I had...

4930k / Asus X79 Deluxe at 4.4 GHz = i7 920 / Asus P6T at 3.8 GHz????

Anyone else have any ideas?

rgames
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search