Sonar X3

28th September 2013
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

thks .....for the news ....
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear nut

Meh, for the first time in 20 years, I am not really interested in a Cakewalk release...
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post
Meh, for the first time in 20 years, I am not really interested in a Cakewalk release...
you should ...i have been the same with X2 (X1 user here) but man we have some hot shit going on , on this release and some features request since x1 was released

be sure to check their videos .....(other than nomad factory)

MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/zoakajeezo

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZozillaT...t?feature=mhee

Cutthroat to the bone !

"People became used to use money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress others who do not care"
jinksdingo
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

You can determine when it begins to turn it down and when it resumes from turning it down, even how quickly it does it's "turn it down" and by how much it turns it down so you can push more voltage into it to be turned down and then make up for gain lossed from turning it down.Bart Nettle
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear Head

I agree. X3 is pretty awesome. They have replaced their Session Drummer with Addictive Drums and V-Vocal with Melodyne. Really fantastic upgrades for users who didn't already have those things.

They brought back track color customizations and improved their take lane and comping features. This looks like it will really speed up the comping workflow.

There are some other cool addons, I don't want to make a commercial out of this, I'm just giving a shout out to a fantastic upgrade, much more exciting than X1-X2.
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

I am a former Sonar user who switched to Logic a few years back. This update is interesting, since in X1, Sonar started to look a bit like Logic with the Skylight interface (a good thing imo) and now with X3, they have updated some more things that kind of feel like they were Logic inspired in their implementation, for example: Comping.

X3 looks really great!
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Hi,

I'm wondering, what are the specific features that would makes one choose Sonar X3 over Cubase 7 ?

I use Cubase 7 (PC), and have never looked closely at, or used Sonar.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

I'm wondering, what are the specific features that would makes one choose Sonar X3 over Cubase 7 ?

I use Cubase 7 (PC), and have never looked closely at, or used Sonar.
And I was wondering what Cubase has that Sonar doesn't. Just wondering in case Gibson discontinues Sonar down the road.
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
And I was wondering what Cubase has that Sonar doesn't. Just wondering in case Gibson discontinues Sonar down the road.
I can't answer your question, since I don't use Sonar, so can't compare it to Cubase
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post

3 things Cubase has that Sonar doesn't:

1. VST Expression technology (priceless)

2.MIDI implementation in Cubase has always been superior to every other DAW- including SONAR.

3. Chord Harmonizer
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBonds View Post
3 things Cubase has that Sonar doesn't:

1. VST Expression technology (priceless)

2.MIDI implementation in Cubase has always been superior to every other DAW- including SONAR.

3. Chord Harmonizer

4. Media Bay
5. Logical Editor
6. Control Room
7. Nested Folders
8. Sample Editor

we could go on....

http://soundcloud.com/vespesian
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

wanted to start answer and squash (easy cubase 7 that i tried deeply ) but this isn't the subject ....

Cubase user , please use cubase and if you have time just demo sonar ...and let's keep this thread safe

(ps : i started on pro 24 lol)

ok one info : X3B and X3C shedulded ...

X3B for some bug fixes (as usual)

X3C for features asked for ....can't remember...

for those complaining bout sonar ...http://www.steinberg.net/forums/view...b09c31929efd6e

It's not against cubase ...i'm just pointing that some ,just seems to don't know what a DAW is all about ....Cubase is agreat one and with studio one is one i would consider if i stop using sonar (witch is not going to happen soon !!)
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Telling it like it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post

X3C for features asked for ....can't remember...
I'd like to think that it means that they're moving back to the much more superior workflow of 8.5 and returning features they took out that weren't broken like stereo interleave and phase buttons on each track.

It'd be nice to see Sonar move back to being a professional product instead of the bedroom producer product it is now.

But then again, maybe I don't understand Cakewalk's vision...perhaps they gave up on professionals and are going after fruityloops? That would explain how pathetic Sonar's become at least.

www.frankperri.com

Never listen to opinions regarding gear. For every 50 nobodies on Gearslutz that say a piece of gear doesn't sound good enough to cut it, I know at least one somebody who is cutting it in NYC with that piece of gear.

www.diehipster.com
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I'd like to think that it means that they're moving back to the much more superior workflow of 8.5 and returning features they took out that weren't broken like stereo interleave and phase buttons on each track.

It'd be nice to see Sonar move back to being a professional product instead of the bedroom producer product it is now.

But then again, maybe I don't understand Cakewalk's vision...perhaps they gave up on professionals and are going after fruityloops? That would explain how pathetic Sonar's become at least.

phase and interleaved are here and never gone ! can't understand that statement ...

Every area have been enhaced , every exctpt the notation that not have been touched ......so now if you don't dig the interface or goodies like the Matrix , step sequencer stuff or plugins added (like i do also ) this will not say that this is a bed romm producer product ....even if now young kids can use it and are not impressed like they used to be with the exellent 8.5.2
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

take on a X1 screen shot

first track .....see ...
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
take on a X1 screen shot

first track .....see ...
This is why I'm still with 8.53
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Lives for gear

this is a customized gui, not official .... ^^^^^

it looks lik this in my daw....
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lamb Laid Down on MIDI

It comes down to this. If you are an experienced DAW user, most likely you have stuck with your DAW from the beginning after researching which one appeared to fit your workflow best, etc.

From there, we all get frustrated with things that should have worked but didn't (all DAWS have gone through these growing pains).

So, if you are a SONAR user, X3 is a welcome release... some new cool features, some new plugins, etc. If you are already plug in rich, then the STUDIO version or even the CORE version should work for you. The CORE package has the same code (not crippled) with no limitations of anything and full price is like $99.00.

So, if you have a ton of plugs, used to use SONAR, for $99 you can get come back and try all the features and fixes of the X series of CAKE"s DAW.

I obviously am a long time user and really like this release... I don't like the $149 upgrade price but you get some full version plugs worth much more than that if you need them.

JK
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

I upgraded to the X3a Producer version (64 bit) yesterday (from X2 Producer). I could probably get by with a lot less but I like what is available if I want or need to use it. I already had Melodyne so that wasn't an upgrade, although I had more success with VVocal than Melodyne.

I also bought ProTools MP9 a couple of years ago as many of my friends in Nashville use that, but compared to Sonar I'll stick with Sonar for my uses.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Association
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

X-3a already out? That was quick!
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

The download yesterday (Sunday) was X3a. Apparently something fixed before the release and instead of leaving it X3 they added the "a".

I have no idea what the "a" did.
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

Sonar X3 is what's on the manufactured box disc sets, since those were manufactured they have still been working night and day on bug fixes and features that are on the X3a download. So if you download your X3 purchase, you get the X3a version. The X3a update download for boxed set owners is supposed to be available in the next week or so.
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

That's common. Manufacturing needs lead time so it's not uncommon to have a newer version for download than the version on a cd.
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

I forgot to mention, Cakewalk has already said they are working on an X3b update and an X3c is also scheduled to have some video updates done. It's nice to see a program being supported with continuous improvements.
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

yep the want to provide video editing for the X3 C ...
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Lives for gear

X3 is interesting for me. I added up some of the new features and if you bought all the plug-ins separately, you'd have to spend at least $1,000 bucks. For me this is a great bargain as I didn't have many plug-ins, but now I do. Here's a quick list off the top of my head..

Addictive Drums
Nomad Effects Bundle
New high quality EQ
High quality Tape Simulator
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Gear interested

I am a long time sonar user and in my opinion x3 is the best sonar released to date with many of the reqested features implimented. For me the color customization alone worth the upgrade price (which was the only feature in protools that I liked). I am very excited for this version.

Sent from my GT-N7100
30th September 2013
Old 30th September 2013
Telling it like it is

Quote:
phase and interleaved are here and never gone ! can't understand that statement ...
They used to be on every single track, easily accessible and viewable making it easy to tell if there were any tracks that you changed the phase on and if you were mixing any stereo tracks in mono.

As usual, they removed it for no good reason. I don't use the track inspector. It's a waste of time and just takes up screen real estate. There's no reason to have to have it open to see the phase and stereo interleave when it used to be already visible on every track.

What else is new though? Every major version is a step backwards in terms of workflow. Sonar was a step down from Pro Audio and the X series is a step down from Sonar.

I get it - you love the plugins and the pretty colors, but there are those of us who go back far enough to remember when the program was geared towards professionals who had deadlines to meet and needed workflows that helped, rather than hindered meeting those deadlines.

It's frustrating and sad to see the program in its current pathetic state remembering how great it once was and knowing that it's not going to be great again because Sonar needs to go back to 8.5 first and more forward correctly from there before it can attempt to be a serous competitor again in the DAW world.

It's just mind boggling...Cakewalk takes a giant sh*t in your hat over and over again and and you just say, "Thank you. It fits much better now."
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search