Login / Register
 
Best DAW for midi - Logic Pro X, Cubase 7, Ableton 9, Studio one 2.6? [POLL]
View Poll Results: The Best MIDI Focused DAW Poll
Logic Pro X
33 Votes - 30.28%
Cubase 7
46 Votes - 42.20%
Studio One 2.6
5 Votes - 4.59%
Ableton Live 9
17 Votes - 15.60%
Something Else (specified)
8 Votes - 7.34%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
micheck123
Thread Starter
#1
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #1
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 125

Thread Starter
micheck123 is offline
Best DAW for midi - Logic Pro X, Cubase 7, Ableton 9, Studio one 2.6? [POLL]

6 Months ago I finally decided to have a go at music production mainly electro stuff, I first tried FL Studio, didint like that at all, I understand that allot and I mean allot of electro producers love fl but to me it felt un-professional, I next tried Studio one 2.5 and is what I have been using for the past 5 months I really like this daw for a number of reasons, Drag & drop, the whole layout and ease of use but ofcourse there's a major downfall, and that is the midi, to me it feels like midi on s1 was an afterthought and is simply not there...

I just built my hackintosh. 6 cores, 32gb ram, ssd etc. and looking to upgrade as my music is getting better and im starting to fall in love with making it.

With the recent release of Logic Pro X and somewhat recent cubase 7 as well as the s1 2.6 update, what do you think is the best direction to go for me. Ideally id like to pick up Cubase 7 but I dont like the idea of carrying the usb stick with me at all times... Im leaning towards logic but I want your input on this. CHEERS!

Logic pro x?
Ableton Live 9?
Cubase 7?
Stick with studio one?
something else?
__________________
Headache inducer.
micheck123
Thread Starter
#2
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #2
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 125

Thread Starter
micheck123 is offline
Also, just to add. If you vote on the poll can you please leave your reason why? Thanks!
#3
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #3
Gear addict
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 497

fistikuffs is offline
I'd imagine its a small pool of users who could give a genuine answer. It's unlikely that many users are completely familiar with all the above Daws and their midi implementation. I think your poll may just turn into a popularity contest with people just voting for their favourite DAW without necessarily having experience of the other DAWs.
micheck123
Thread Starter
#4
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #4
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 125

Thread Starter
micheck123 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistikuffs View Post
I'd imagine its a small pool of users who could give a genuine answer. It's unlikely that many users are completely familiar with all the above Daws and their midi implementation. I think your poll may just turn into a popularity contest with people just voting for their favourite DAW without necessarily having experience of the other DAWs.
I totally understand that, but for the few who have used Cubase and logic pro x id love to hear their input. With that being said if people do vote for their favorite daw, can you please tell me why its your favorite? Im sure this will help out the guys who will be in my exact situation.
#5
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #5
Gear addict
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 497

fistikuffs is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheck123 View Post
I totally understand that, but for the few who have used Cubase and logic pro x id love to hear their input. With that being said if people do vote for their favorite daw, can you please tell me why its your favorite? Im sure this will help out the guys who will be in my exact situation.
Well I can't comment on anything else but I use Live and I think it's a fantastic DAW. To me, it's session view, clips including clip automation, dummy clips, and the racks make it a must for EDM. They added some cool midi tools in 9 and while I'm no midi wizz kid I find it to be excellent.
#6
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #6
Gear maniac
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 217

billcarroll is offline
Cubase midi is the best out there. You really need to dig in to appreciate everything cubase midi offers.

Just editing midi Cubase is clean and clear, with tons of tools to inputting chords and transforming notes, not to mention VST and note expression which no other DAW I know of can touch.

Notice small touches like how easy it is to see swing represented on the grid.



Editing midi in Logic feels clumsy to me compared to editing midi in Cubase.
#7
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #7
Gear maniac
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 217

billcarroll is offline
Also, check out the MIDI Drum Editor in Cubase. Studio One has a cut-down implementation of drum editing, but I don't believe Logic can touch this.

MIDI Drum Editor in Cubase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdCwpJb104g

Last edited by billcarroll; 15th September 2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: YouTube video link edited
micheck123
Thread Starter
#8
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #8
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 125

Thread Starter
micheck123 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
Also, check out the MIDI Drum Editor in Cubase. Studio One has a cut-down implementation of drum editing, but I don't believe Logic can touch this.

"Video Currently Unavailable" I really wish I could try out Cubase before buying but even for the demo i need to buy the key... AT heart I do believe that Cubase is the better choice seeing how im familiar with s1 and s1 was programmed by ex- steinberg employees. But then... I start to think about the price and using the keys... I do prefer the look of logic pro x, then its the price too. But... Cubase to my ears sounds better and has a few more features... really not sure at the moment.
#9
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #9
Gear maniac
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 217

billcarroll is offline
Try the edited link above for the video.

The midi implementation in Logic simply doesn't hold a candle to Cubase. I say that as a Logic user since version 7 back in 2005 'til present with Logic X.
#10
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,242

Clonkified is online now
It's important to keep in mind that features for the sake of features isn't what you should be judging a DAW on. You should look at how the features will actually help your real world workflow. For example, some film composers use...ABLETON of all things, but the MIDI functionality in Ableton, while limited, does cover a lot of key things - use the arrows to transpose, make notes legato, make notes half time / double time, etc.

The main things I think Cubase does better than Logic when it comes to MIDI are VST Expression, transform of CC data, and viewing multiple CC lanes at once. I wouldn't call that blowing Logic out of the water though. For example, I still use Logic.
#11
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,475

muziksculp is online now
Cubase 7
#12
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,083

Joe Porto is offline
Another vote for Cubase. I own Logic X (since L7), PT11HD (since PT9HD), and Cubase 7 (since Cubase VST3).

I have not done much as far as MIDI in Logic X, but if it's anything like Logic 9, there are some major limitations, particularly when using external MIDI devices on separate MIDI i/o. There is a lot of "programming" of the environment to do very simple things, like set up an arpeggiator.

Cubase is very easy to work with when using external MIDI gear, and has tons of MIDI modifiers that are easy to access.
#13
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,159

Frodebro is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
Cubase midi is the best out there. You really need to dig in to appreciate everything cubase midi offers.

Just editing midi Cubase is clean and clear, with tons of tools to inputting chords and transforming notes, not to mention VST and note expression which no other DAW I know of can touch.

Notice small touches like how easy it is to see swing represented on the grid.



Editing midi in Logic feels clumsy to me compared to editing midi in Cubase.
Logic is smooth and quick for me, but I'm sure a lot of that is due to the fact that I've been working with it for years. Plus, I use a MIDI controller to play my parts, then use Logic's editing to clean up any clams, so I'm not doing a whole lot of MIDI programming within the DAW itself.
#14
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #14
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 75

EddieLovesYou is offline
I was in a similar boat as you: hackintosh, loved StudioOne 2, found MIDI lacking. Bought Cubase 7 and I've never been happier with a DAW
micheck123
Thread Starter
#15
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #15
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 125

Thread Starter
micheck123 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLovesYou View Post
I was in a similar boat as you: hackintosh, loved StudioOne 2, found MIDI lacking. Bought Cubase 7 and I've never been happier with a DAW
How was it like switching from s1 to Cubase? how long did it take you adjust? thanks!
#16
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #16
Gear interested
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 2

J48484 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheck123 View Post

With the recent release of Logic Pro X and somewhat recent cubase 7 as well as the s1 2.6 update, what do you think is the best direction to go for me. Ideally id like to pick up Cubase 7 but I dont like the idea of carrying the usb stick with me at all times... Im leaning towards logic but I want your input on this. CHEERS!

Logic pro x?
Ableton Live 9?
Cubase 7?
Stick with studio one?
something else?
Agreed, I'm in a similar situation and Cubase 7 and Logic Pro X seem to be the top contenders for a strong midi composing DAW. Chord track in Cubase looks awesome but the cubase appearance is a bit dated especially compared to LPX.
micheck123
Thread Starter
#17
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #17
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 125

Thread Starter
micheck123 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by J48484 View Post
Agreed, I'm in a similar situation and Cubase 7 and Logic Pro X seem to be the top contenders for a strong midi composing DAW. Chord track in Cubase looks awesome but the cubase appearance is a bit dated especially compared to LPX.
Yeah, Whilst I do see the advantage of cubase there are also big disadvantages. To me personally looks are important, Looks are inspiring and energizing. I know to most this will sound stupid but cubase is not welcoming for me.
#18
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #18
Gear maniac
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 217

billcarroll is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheck123 View Post
Yeah, Whilst I do see the advantage of cubase there are also big disadvantages. To me personally looks are important, Looks are inspiring and energizing. I know to most this will sound stupid but cubase is not welcoming for me.
I like the way Cubase looks over Logic. It's just subjective, and I've chosen Cubase for many of my own reasons.

As far as your original question re: MIDI, Cubase runs circles around Logic. That's a fact.

At the end of the day it's really about what inspires you to make music. If you find Logic more inspiring, then quit debating and jump on it. Logic is an amazing piece of software and you simply can't go wrong with it.
#19
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #19
Gear interested
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 2

J48484 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post

As far as your original question re: MIDI, Cubase runs circles around Logic. That's a fact.
Bill,

Thx with your input with your use of both programs. I've heard that Cubase has more capabilities on midi than logic too. What are the big differences concerning midi?
#20
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #20
Gear maniac
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 217

billcarroll is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by J48484 View Post
Bill,

Thx with your input with your use of both programs. I've heard that Cubase has more capabilities on midi than logic too. What are the big differences concerning midi?
A few things that quickly come to mind that I like about Cubase midi editing:

- The editor is clean and clear -- I like the look and feel
- Tools to enter chords with one click
- Note names on the notes
- Deep selection of midi tools, like Arpache SX and others
- Drum editor and drum maps
- VST and note expression
- Chord track (yes, it's also a midi tool)

I also like the way notes are duplicated in Cubase. Generally editing midi in Cubase feels faster and cleaner. Totally subjective.
#21
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,242

Clonkified is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
A few things that quickly come to mind that I like about Cubase midi editing:

- The editor is clean and clear -- I like the look and feel
- Tools to enter chords with one click
- Note names on the notes
- Deep selection of midi tools, like Arpache SX and others
- Drum editor and drum maps
- VST and note expression
- Chord track (yes, it's also a midi tool)

I also like the way notes are duplicated in Cubase. Generally editing midi in Cubase feels faster and cleaner. Totally subjective.
Great list! Logic X has MIDI tools now, but the other stuff would definitely be welcome!
#22
17th September 2013
Old 17th September 2013
  #22
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 150

submarin is offline
Yeah it´s only about personal preference and workflow.

Me I tried and worked with Pro Tools, Logic (for 15 years since Atari :-), Sonar, Ableton Live (Which I use on stage), Samplitude,
bottom line for me when it comes to stability, workflow and ease of use, Cubase just nails it..
#23
25th November 2013
Old 25th November 2013
  #23
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 1

RayLewisPitt is offline
Hi all, I just wanted to put in my two cents. I have been using Cubase since the early days of their sequencer for the Atari 1040 ST Waaaaay back in the '80s. I love the software and think it's the best out there, even though it has a TON of features I'll never use. Also, their tech support sucks the giant one. I have NEVER had their support fix a problem in less than 2 or 3 MONTHS. For my first major problem, I had to fill out a support request form, then wait for them to get back to me 10 or 12 times with those annoying "are you sure it's plugged in, and the power button is on" type of questions. Then, after 3 or 4 emails trying more stuff that doesn't work, and them scheduling a phone call to log into my PC and see that is it really broken, I had to send them my dongle, or order another one, then install it, then go through the email process all over again, then wait again for them to schedule another time to log in to my PC, then fix the problem.....and that was just to INSTALL THE PROGRAM!!!!! It is like that EVERY time I have to use their support. Now, the nightmare is on again trying to install the latest update. Grrrrrrr. If I win a giant lottery, I'm going to buy the company or enough stock that I will have the clout to go in and fire the entire support department and start over. :-)
#24
25th November 2013
Old 25th November 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 
lordward's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Germany

lordward is offline
I choose Cubase but would have chosen Logic, but the fact that it is Mac only changes this. I have Mac and PC and I can migrate back and forth with Cubase without a hitch, which makes it more useable for me. Especially when it comes to midi programming.
__________________
I've gots me a compressor, and I'm not afraid to use it.
#25
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Inside my brain...
Posts: 3,237

Lawrence is offline
Not that i have a dog in this war but FLStudio's piano roll put's everything on the list to shame.

Of course, midi editing is certainly more than just the piano roll, but man, that one is pretty great.

Back to "Cubase vs Logic" episode 23.
#26
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
shanabit's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,157

shanabit is offline
As a user of all 3 as far as MIDI goes

1. Cubase
2. Logic
3. StudioOnePro


What I use in this order of usage:
1. Cubase
2. StudioOnePro
3. Logic

*If you dont want a DONGLE then Cubase is out but I didnt see you had a laptop you were carrying around. My C7 Dongle stays on my MacPro. I dont even think about it.
#27
26th November 2013
Old 26th November 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,560

lllubi is offline
which DAW from above is the most reliable when it comes to recording and reamping hardware synths and electronic drums ?
micheck123
Thread Starter
#28
1st December 2013
Old 1st December 2013
  #28
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 125

Thread Starter
micheck123 is offline
Quick update, I used logic for a week or so and could not get in the flow, after using studio one pro for a few months, logic really annoyed me where as in studio one i could accomplish a task in 1 step, in logic pro x i would have to take 5 steps. So i gave up on logic. Right now im playing around with Ableton and loving it, I still find it faster to work in studio one but I can draw out and build ideas faster in ableton. Currently im waiting on Bitwig which looks like a fusion of Ableton, Studio one and logic.
#29
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
  #29
Gear interested
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 2

jrproductionz is offline
Hello all! should i get Pro tools 11 or Logic Pro x for POP/ROCK/COUNTRY-ish/CLUB music. I record guitars on my own and bass, use a e-drum, etc... but ofc i also use VI if its needed... what should you recommend please, thank you!
#30
16th April 2014
Old 16th April 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 
EDGEK8D's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Chicagoland, USA
Posts: 2,005
My Recordings/Credits

EDGEK8D is offline
I'm happy with the improvements MIDI-wise with Logic X. Has made a large impact for me. Can't imagine going back to 9 for those reasons alone. Once I spent some time with the manual going over the MIDI FX, it was love at first use. I use the arpeggiator and randomizer like crazy which have breathed life into my sound. No more adjusting velocities on a four bar loop and then those same velocities repeat. Set the randomizer and forget it. Never played the same once for the whole arrangement.

I've given Live a fair shake completing a couple of projects and its just not for me.

Cubase definitely has a few features that look exciting. Maybe I'll have a go one day. Right now there I'm very comfortable and productive working with hardware in Logic. Someone mentioned the dreadful environment above. Happy to say I have not had to visit yet in LogicX.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.