Gabalonso
17th August 2013
Old 17th August 2013
Gear maniac

New iMac in 2014

My Mac Pro is too old to be compatible with Mountain Lion.

Therefore I am envisaging a new machine.
I like the iMac 27 i7.
Before I buy I want to make sure that I am not going to miss the release of a new iMac retina...
As anyone heard anything about a new iMac for 2014?

Cheers
Gab
17th August 2013
Old 17th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalonso View Post
My Mac Pro is too old to be compatible with Mountain Lion.

Therefore I am envisaging a new machine.
I like the iMac 27 i7.
Before I buy I want to make sure that I am not going to miss the release of a new iMac retina...
As anyone heard anything about a new iMac for 2014?

Cheers
Gab
There definitely should be one by then. Even maybe this year.
I would sit tight but don't know if it will be Retina.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear interested

Gabalonso
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear maniac

Spot on!
Good to know!
Many thanks for the info.

Better wait then!
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear maniac

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeandShadow View Post
Yeah, I am looking to purchase my first mac as well, apparently they are due for a Haswell refresh in the next couple months, so wait it out!

New Haswell iMacs And MacBook Pros Arriving In Next Couple Of Months [Report] | Redmond Pie
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Mac Rumors thinks the iMac will get it's refresh in Q4 this year. I think safe bet it'll get Haswell but not Retina because rumor is the yield on the panels is low even on the 15" models. So 27" retina displays may be awhile.

Option 2: Get a tricked out Mac Mini and something like a 2560 X 1440 display for a almost Retina experience. Mac Mini probably gets Haswell in Q4 as well and that's what I am waiting for.
18th August 2013
Old 18th August 2013
Gear addict

2nd the mac mini advice.
Gabalonso
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear maniac

How good is the video card on a Mac mini?

What I like with this option is the portability of the mini.
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabalonso View Post
How good is the video card on a Mac mini?

What I like with this option is the portability of the mini.
Not at good as iMac but plenty good for DAW work. Playing 3d games would be weak on Mac Mini.
Gabalonso
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Gear maniac

Is there a possibilty to get Thunderbolt - 2DVI?
I have 2 Apple Cinema display 23'.
I would quite like to keep them
G
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaburque View Post
h

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Mac Rumors thinks the iMac will get it's refresh in Q4 this year. I think safe bet it'll get Haswell but not Retina because rumor is the yield on the panels is low even on the 15" models. So 27" retina displays may be awhile.

Option 2: Get a tricked out Mac Mini and something like a 2560 X 1440 display for a almost Retina experience. Mac Mini probably gets Haswell in Q4 as well and that's what I am waiting for.
Like to see a mini with Thunderbolt2, not that I've used Thunderbolt on my MBP for anything other than a monitor.

21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Gear maniac

+1 for the supped up mac mini. I wish I did that instead of a MB Pro. I Would have had the same states + and SSD OS Drive for about $1,000 bucks less Including the extra display since the mini has no screen. And personally unless you get more screen real-estate I could care less about retina for audio software.
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Gear addict

what are the benefits of the imac with haswell? i can see it for the macbook and longer battery life but not the imac; unless apple is going to do something really bold like make it portable with a battery (just moving it from room to room around the house, or showing it off on the coffee table with it running off the battery.)
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Gear addict

Apple store is down. Could be an update coming right now.
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by djloekee27 View Post
what are the benefits of the imac with haswell? i can see it for the macbook and longer battery life but not the imac; unless apple is going to do something really bold like make it portable with a battery (just moving it from room to room around the house, or showing it off on the coffee table with it running off the battery.)
Newer, faster processors and IGPs. Haswell isn't just for battery life.
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Gear nut

I'm looking forward to a Mac mini refresh. I'm using a late 2011 MBP with HDN and HDX via thunderbolt with great success on PT 10.3
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

I would skip the 2014 iMac and hold out for the 2015 model. It will ship with next-gen Broadwell CPU's and the new nVidia Petraeus GPU's. That is gonna be a major revelation.
22nd August 2013
Old 22nd August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
Newer, faster processors and IGPs. Haswell isn't just for battery life.
Just how much faster are these new processors? Intel's new processors have been getting smaller and more power efficient, the speed upgrade over my 2nd generation quadcore isn't big enough to warrant an upgrade. In fact my 2nd or 3rd generation i7 dualcore in my laptop isn't faster than my quadcore (not a fair comparison, laptop vs desktop though). On paper my laptop is faster when it switches to turbo speed/1 core but in reality, these new cpu's have been hovering below the 4gz mark for 5 years now (with the exception of some AMD chips). Faster? Really?

I will admit that I haven't gone to Tom's hardware and looked at the benchmarks yet (I have a Q9550, not overclocked but it used to be overclock at 3.4ghz before I crashed my bios in Feb. But I saw that it could go much higher when I had to google how to overclock it again.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantbbee View Post
I wish I did that instead of a MB Pro.
I always hated the keyboard and the lack of a dedicated delete AND backspace key on them (I went Mac only for 3 months in Korea, it was my roommates). I would have to go with a iMac or Mac Pro myself.

edit:
I have to take that back about the new chips being faster, my pc failed to overclock to 3.41 ghz again; and I put it back down to 2.8ghz. There's goes an excuse to get an i7 & ddr3 motherboard + ram.
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

I always hated the keyboard and the lack of a dedicated delete AND backspace key on them (I went Mac only for 3 months in Korea, it was my roommates).
Yup, that is the one thing I dislike about my MBA. Only backspace, no delete. Bad.
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
what are the benefits of the imac with haswell?
Not much. Maybe 15% performance compared to Ivy Bridge. I'm planing on Haswell only because my MM is about five years old and Logic X barely runs and I want an SSD.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

I have a 2011 iMac and I myself am looking to upgrade soon. My gut feeling is telling me that the new iMac won't be out until at least Q1 2014, possibly between Feb-April.

Q4 2013 is already packed with new iphones, ipods and ipads rumored. I can't see them releasing the macs as well all at the same time.
Gabalonso
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
I have a 2011 iMac and I myself am looking to upgrade soon. My gut feeling is telling me that the new iMac won't be out until at least Q1 2014, possibly between Feb-April.

Q4 2013 is already packed with new iphones, ipods and ipads rumored. I can't see them releasing the macs as well all at the same time.
Wonder if it is really worth waiting for the new iMac.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Yup, that is the one thing I dislike about my MBA. Only backspace, no delete. Bad.
You do know that fn & Backspace = Delete don't you..?
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd View Post
as is pain in the bottom, you can remap the esc key for a del key though with keytweak etc.
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd View Post
Yeah, can't get used to that. Maybe because I still use the classic keyboard (with numpad) on the MacPro.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search