Microboards PF2 -Win 7 driver
plus6vu
1st August 2013
Old 1st August 2013
Gear nut

Microboards PF2 -Win 7 driver

I am hoping someone here can help.

I have a Microboards PF-2 CD printer that works just fine, but MB has stopped supporting it. I have not been able to find a driver beyond Win XP. As you know, a replacement would cost about $1,800. As much as I would like to buy a new machine and move on, I'd like to avoid the budget hit simply for lack of a driver.

The problem is that my updated graphics software, as well as other applications, have moved along and would like Win 7. I have been trying to use Win 7 in XP "mode" and try to install the driver there, but have had little success. It worked once and then stopped.

Has anyone else had this problem? If you did, what did you do about it?

Thanks for the help,
Scott
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have been trying to use Win 7 in XP "mode"
Does this mean you are using a Virtual XP in Win 7 or that you have tried to install the printer drivers in XP compatibility mode? If you haven't tried to install in a compatibility mode, give that a try. Also, have you just tried to connect it to Windows 7 and see if Windows 7 has or can find a driver? (make sure you are on line when you do this).

Finally, have you tried a newer Microboards driver? Maybe one of them will work?

I use "Discus" and an Epson printer for printing on CD's and DVD's.
2nd August 2013
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

How about getting a simple second hand PC for XP/printing?
plus6vu
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
Does this mean you are using a Virtual XP in Win 7 or that you have tried to install the printer drivers in XP compatibility mode? If you haven't tried to install in a compatibility mode, give that a try. Also, have you just tried to connect it to Windows 7 and see if Windows 7 has or can find a driver? (make sure you are on line when you do this).

Finally, have you tried a newer Microboards driver? Maybe one of them will work?

I use "Discus" and an Epson printer for printing on CD's and DVD's.
I've tried to install the driver in Virtual XP, I don't know how to get to XP Compatibility mode. I'll have to look into that.

I'm pretty sure that Windows 7 did a search for a MS driver at some point, but I'll make sure and try that again.

I thought about a more recent Microboards driver, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions
Scott
plus6vu
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
How about getting a simple second hand PC for XP/printing?
That's the next option. For now, my graphics software is XP compatible, but the next update may not be. Besides, I'm already running three machines in the office. I'm trying not to add any more. I'd really like to get ths printer working, but I'll do what I ave to do to keep things rolling.

Scott
3rd August 2013
Old 3rd August 2013
Lives for gear

To access compatibility mode options, RIGHT click on the install icon for the driver and then LEFT click Properties. One of the Tabs in that panel will be Compatibility.
plus6vu
4th August 2013
Old 4th August 2013
Gear nut

Here's an update.

I got the printer to work in Virtual mode after manually changing the printer port. <yay>

Still no luck getting it to work directly in Win 7. Tried searching for a driver using the search under the driver window, no such luck.

Tried right clicking on everything (except maybe the correct thing). Never saw a compatibility tab. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

I might have to install my graphics program on the "virtual" machine. I was hoping that I could access either the printer from Win 7 or the program from XP.

Still open to suggestions.
Scott
4th August 2013
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

This is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Microboards PF2  -Win 7 driver-compatibility.jpg  
plus6vu
4th August 2013
Old 4th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
This is what it looks like.
I must be dense, but I can't seem to find this window.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are calling
Quote:
... the install icon for the driver.
I am assuming that you are talking about the icon in the "Device Manager" window. Is that correct?

When I right click on it and choose "properties" I don't get a window like the one that you posted.

Thank you for the help and your patience. I'm generally pretty okay with this sort of stuff, but this one has me stumped.

Scott

Edit: I am now thinking that the driver icon your talking about is the actual driver - from the driver disc. Correct? That's been rather illusive. I can't seem to find an actual "driver" on the disc. There is a "setup" file, but right clicking on it doesn't produce the window you posted.

Last edited by plus6vu; 4th August 2013 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: more information
plus6vu
4th August 2013
Old 4th August 2013
Gear nut

Update:

I am able to access the graphics program inside XP Virtual Machine which is where the printer driver resides and functions for now. At least it looks like I can get some work done.

I'm still trying to get a Windows 7 driver for this machine.
Latest effort was finding that the MS printer uses an HP 6122 print engine. I tried downloading a driver for that and using XP Compatibility with that driver. So far, no luck.

Still hoping <insert praying emoticon here>

Scott
4th August 2013
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

I am talking about the icon, either on a CD or if the program is on the PC's hard drive that you doubleclick on to install the driver. (Same way with the Icon you would click on to install a program). Nothing to do with the Device Manager or the Add a Printer option.

In the example I showed, It was the install icon for installing drivers for my MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R.
plus6vu
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear nut

Another update:

I am able to get the printer to print in XP mode (inside Win 7), but it will not print black. It prints black as blue, and other colors are incorrect. I re-installed the driver, but no change. I know it's not a hardware problem because it prints fine on my other PC. (I just checked to be sure.)

When printing a test page, it prints black, I just don't seem to be able to make it print black from my graphics program, Corel 15.

Any ideas?
Scott
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search