DVI to VGA adapters. Why won't it work?
Old 14th September 2006
Gear maniac

DVI to VGA adapters. Why won't it work?

Hi, I was using a digital monitor at a studio I was working at the other day on my computer to get 2 displays. Worked like a charm, so I got a DVI to VGA adapter so I could use two monitors at home as well.
Well, I have now been through 4 different DVI to VGA adapters (all different pin configs.) and I can't get my computer to see the second monitor.
What am I missing here?
My video card is a MSI 6200TC
Thank you in advance.

Peace.
Old 14th September 2006
This is too funny to see this post (not ha ha funny but interestingly on time). I just bought a DVI to VGA adapter as well and it won't work with my Apple 20" Cinema to my KVM. I'd love to hear someone's response to this so I too can figure it out.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've actually got my monitor to display using a DVI-I adapter, but it looks fuzzy, I played around with every setting possible on my monitor and video card control panel, and found out that when using a DVI adapter with a VGA monitor, the results will always be less than perfect.

Now, I'm stuck with a blurry second monitor (I use it for the edit screen in pro tools, the good screen is for the mix window). It sucks, and everyone I have spoken to tells me the same thing, that I'm stuck with what I got. I know this doesn't deal with your issue, but when buying an adapter, make sure you are using the right DVI adapter, it's either DVI-I or DVI-A, check your video card's manual, that's about the only thing I can help with on this subject.

Best of luck and I hope when you do get yours working, it actually looks like your other monitor, which is not what happened with me.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Matrox 650 with two DVI outputs with adapters to VGA. Works perfect, almost pixel accurate. Actually it worked so well so I havn't jet bougt new cables for my monitors so I can use the DVI port!

/Cojo
Old 14th September 2006
Hmm, you guys are talking about making a DVI video card compatible with a VGA monitor. I'm wondering about a DVI monitor (Apple 20" Cinema) compatible with a VGA video card.
Old 14th September 2006
jyc
Gear addict

There are three types of DVI connections, DVI-D (Digital), DVI-A (Analog), DVI-I (Digital & Analog).

On some display cards, its DVI output is straightly DVI-D which means digital only. (i.e. the iMacs mini-dvi port i think).So you can't just use a cable conversion to use your ANALOG monitors.

Check whether this is the case.
Old 14th September 2006
Gear maniac

It is a DVI-I.
I just submitted a tech support at MSI. I will keep ya posted.
Old 14th September 2006
Well, I believe I found the answer and it's not good news.

http://www.networktechinc.com/vga-dvi.html

Here's another one:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

Apparently the Cinema displays are DVI-D and thus you cannot use a simple adapter. You have to use a digital to analog video converter box such as the ones shown in the links above. Very expensive and probably best to just purchase either a new video card, or a VGA compatible display (NEC makes some nice flat panels that are both DVI and VGA compatible out of the box).
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I was very pissed to find out that I had to buy a $110 box to hook up my 20" Cinema Display to my newer G5 (that replaced my last G5)...

Apparently, Apple dropped the ADC format...

Pissed I tell you.

Between Steve and Avid...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search