DVI to VGA adapters. Why won't it work?
New Reply
Subscribe
1320 P.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear maniac

DVI to VGA adapters. Why won't it work?

Hi, I was using a digital monitor at a studio I was working at the other day on my computer to get 2 displays. Worked like a charm, so I got a DVI to VGA adapter so I could use two monitors at home as well.
Well, I have now been through 4 different DVI to VGA adapters (all different pin configs.) and I can't get my computer to see the second monitor.
What am I missing here?
My video card is a MSI 6200TC
Thank you in advance.

Peace.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

This is too funny to see this post (not ha ha funny but interestingly on time). I just bought a DVI to VGA adapter as well and it won't work with my Apple 20" Cinema to my KVM. I'd love to hear someone's response to this so I too can figure it out.
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for AudioLot's BIG DEAL Gear Specials, Morning Mix Tips, and more by clicking here
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've actually got my monitor to display using a DVI-I adapter, but it looks fuzzy, I played around with every setting possible on my monitor and video card control panel, and found out that when using a DVI adapter with a VGA monitor, the results will always be less than perfect.

Now, I'm stuck with a blurry second monitor (I use it for the edit screen in pro tools, the good screen is for the mix window). It sucks, and everyone I have spoken to tells me the same thing, that I'm stuck with what I got. I know this doesn't deal with your issue, but when buying an adapter, make sure you are using the right DVI adapter, it's either DVI-I or DVI-A, check your video card's manual, that's about the only thing I can help with on this subject.

Best of luck and I hope when you do get yours working, it actually looks like your other monitor, which is not what happened with me.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I have a Matrox 650 with two DVI outputs with adapters to VGA. Works perfect, almost pixel accurate. Actually it worked so well so I havn't jet bougt new cables for my monitors so I can use the DVI port!

/Cojo
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Hmm, you guys are talking about making a DVI video card compatible with a VGA monitor. I'm wondering about a DVI monitor (Apple 20" Cinema) compatible with a VGA video card.
jyc
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
jyc
Gear addict

There are three types of DVI connections, DVI-D (Digital), DVI-A (Analog), DVI-I (Digital & Analog).

On some display cards, its DVI output is straightly DVI-D which means digital only. (i.e. the iMacs mini-dvi port i think).So you can't just use a cable conversion to use your ANALOG monitors.

Check whether this is the case.
1320 P.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Gear maniac

It is a DVI-I.
I just submitted a tech support at MSI. I will keep ya posted.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Well, I believe I found the answer and it's not good news.

http://www.networktechinc.com/vga-dvi.html

Here's another one:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

Apparently the Cinema displays are DVI-D and thus you cannot use a simple adapter. You have to use a digital to analog video converter box such as the ones shown in the links above. Very expensive and probably best to just purchase either a new video card, or a VGA compatible display (NEC makes some nice flat panels that are both DVI and VGA compatible out of the box).
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I was very pissed to find out that I had to buy a $110 box to hook up my 20" Cinema Display to my newer G5 (that replaced my last G5)...

Apparently, Apple dropped the ADC format...

Pissed I tell you.

Between Steve and Avid...

Casey
SC Digital Services

Bob Olhsson wrote on 17th September 2002, 12:56 PM:
"Music is being used to sort consumers rather than to entertain people."
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search