Finally ditching Apogee Duet, going with Fireface 800
New Reply
Subscribe
Daniel_Che
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Finally ditching Apogee Duet, going with Fireface 800

So i've finally managed to get rid of my Apogee Duet, great interface, but limited and considering my studio is growing i was obviously short with inputs an outputs section.

I came across used Fireface 800 for a good price, the seller claims he's the first owner, that he used is for 5 years never took it outside of the studio. He claims it is in perfect working order. From the photos I can tell it's cosmetically in tip top shape.

However, the seller stated that he sent it about a month ago for a service because FF800 solenoid was damaged and was replaced with a new one in authorized dealer. Technician said to him that other parts are in great shape.

The seller offered me to fully test the FF800 at his place.
What should i pay attention on, and should i be worried if something happens again with the interface?
Soundtracs Solo 24/8/24, RME Fireface 800, Akai MPC 3000, Roland Juno 60, Oberheim SEM Pro, Vermona Mono Lancet, Acidlab Miami, Ibanez AD-202, Dynacord DRS-78, Rode NT1-A, Technics 1210 M3D, Yamaha HS-80, Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro, iConnect Midi, Mac Mini i5, iPad 2
Daniel_Che
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

anyone?
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

I say go for it. What do you have to lose? I have a FF 800 Get it and do not look back.

Yes, I am a real opera singer, a Lirico Spinto Tenor. Check me out at:

www.richardcarlucci.de www.richardcarlucci.com
Daniel_Che
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

well, i could lose 750 euros if it goes dead in a few months,
this one is 5 years old, but in great shape, i guess i would like
to be sure that i could run it for at least few more years..

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaman View Post
I say go for it. What do you have to lose? I have a FF 800 Get it and do not look back.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Che View Post
well, i could lose 750 euros if it goes dead in a few months,
this one is 5 years old, but in great shape, i guess i would like
to be sure that i could run it for at least few more years..
if you're worried about this kind of thing you should never ever buy anything that is not first hand and from a reputable dealer.

no one can tell you if gear is going to brick or not. it's a risk that comes with buying second hand. If you don't want that risk, don't buy it.

I myself am happy to take that risk, as in my opinion it is a very small risk and outweighed by the discount. 90% of my gear is second hand.

If I were in a position of buying a second hand fireface, I would demo it, and if all functions work I would buy it, same as any other gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
My gearection has gone from 'Fairchild' to 'Behringer'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
Daniel_Che
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

agree, it's just that i don't usually buy second hand gear,
i will demo it for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
if you're worried about this kind of thing you should never ever buy anything that is not first hand and from a reputable dealer.

no one can tell you if gear is going to brick or not. it's a risk that comes with buying second hand. If you don't want that risk, don't buy it.

I myself am happy to take that risk, as in my opinion it is a very small risk and outweighed by the discount. 90% of my gear is second hand.

If I were in a position of buying a second hand fireface, I would demo it, and if all functions work I would buy it, same as any other gear.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear interested

I bought a Fireface 800 secondhand cheap on eBay a year ago and it's now about 8 years old and runs flawlessly. RME stuff seems to really last.
Daniel_Che
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHeartShips View Post
I bought a Fireface 800 secondhand cheap on eBay a year ago and it's now about 8 years old and runs flawlessly. RME stuff seems to really last.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

The point I was making was if it works when you try it you are fine. Too bad you are not in Germany. I have one I am going to let go for 600 EU because the FW 400 never worked, but both 800 ports have been rock solid (I got the UFX on a good deal and use the same software with my babyface).
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear addict

Check all outputs, a couple of mine have stopped working.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post

after a couple of disappointments in the used gear department, I decided to start going with refurbished gear from authorized resellers, you still get stuff for much cheaper but you get the warranty coverage!

of course I know a lot of the stuff you're buying would be impossible to find refurbished and sold by an authorized dealer
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

why didn't you say so earlier, well i may not be in Germany, but have a lots of friends there and Croatia is part of the EU now

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaman View Post
The point I was making was if it works when you try it you are fine. Too bad you are not in Germany. I have one I am going to let go for 600 EU because the FW 400 never worked, but both 800 ports have been rock solid (I got the UFX on a good deal and use the same software with my babyface).
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Well if you are still interested pm me. We can sort it out.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search