Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Best overall convolution reverb aax 64 bit... (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/853678-best-overall-convolution-reverb-aax-64-bit.html)

Mystic Muse 17th July 2013 01:32 AM

Best overall convolution reverb aax 64 bit...
 
I'm in search of a convolution reverb plugin that is 64 bit AAX for PT HD 11 and I have in mind using Bricasti Impulse Responses (note - I once owned Altiverb 7 had a ton of Ir's from all over the place 99% of them didn't work - point being...should all IR's work on all convolution reverbs?)

also wanting to use PCM IR's, and whatever else is out there. I noticed recently the Vienna Suite it fits the bill compatability wise as well as IR compatible. Just tell me if I get Bricasti IR's they will work on ANY IR/convolution reverb plugin?

And I still use my PCM 91 but it takes too long to mix with and the presets are somewhat lousy overall its okay but I believe if I can get some really high end IR's with a con. reverb I'd be closer to at least a TC Electronic 4000 if not a Bricasti M7 (actually I doubt the latter!)

thanks

elambo 17th July 2013 02:34 AM

You should download the demo of Phoenix and R2 from Exponential Audio. I know you asked for convolution but these two are so advanced that they're worth losing your IRs. No convolution reverb I've heard (all the popular ones) even competes on the same playing field. I'd considered a hardware Bricasti -- I don't anymore.

Mystic Muse 17th July 2013 03:06 AM

you should have bought a Bricasti!
 
are you telling me in no uncertain terms you had the money to buy a bricasti yet you decided to stick with these plugins? Sorry to sound like a prosecutor but that is suprising. I'd kill for a M7. I have a PCM 91 and now i see its a POS more or less. Half way decent but really not that great. I wouldn't mind ditching IR's all together (just that I wanted those bricasti IR's) because I have tons and tons of IR's lexicons you name it and you know what NONE OF THEM WORK neither on altiverb nor on IR-1 full or IR-1 Live. so i am fed up with Ir's but i figured a Bricasti IR would be the next best thing to an M7. well not really but at least close enough till i get $3700.00 in my pocket.

I am however interested in your reply just that I've never heard anyone talk about these nor any website talk about them. Personally if I were to ditch IR's I would go 2C-Audio ALL the way. they sound so damn good soon to be AAX also. Though I did notice these you mentioned are AAX 64 bit so that is a relief.

now i am really uncertain!

Homunculus 17th July 2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Muse (Post 9236510)
are you telling me in no uncertain terms you had the money to buy a bricasti yet you decided to stick with these plugins? Sorry to sound like a prosecutor but that is suprising. I'd kill for a M7. I have a PCM 91 and now i see its a POS more or less. Half way decent but really not that great. I wouldn't mind ditching IR's all together (just that I wanted those bricasti IR's) because I have tons and tons of IR's lexicons you name it and you know what NONE OF THEM WORK neither on altiverb nor on IR-1 full or IR-1 Live. so i am fed up with Ir's but i figured a Bricasti IR would be the next best thing to an M7. well not really but at least close enough till i get $3700.00 in my pocket.

I am however interested in your reply just that I've never heard anyone talk about these nor any website talk about them. Personally if I were to ditch IR's I would go 2C-Audio ALL the way. they sound so damn good soon to be AAX also. Though I did notice these you mentioned are AAX 64 bit so that is a relief.

now i am really uncertain!

Phoenix and R2 from Exponential Audio are the best plugins reverb imo, they are made by Michael Carnes who used to work for Lexicon and I agree, they sound better than any IR's i've heard

Bob Olhsson 17th July 2013 03:42 AM

This is seriously good. LiquidSonics - Reverberate | Convolution Reverb for VST, RTAS, AU and AAX

Casey 17th July 2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 9236606)

I love their position on charityware. I would love to visit with them to create the definitive m7 convolution library/playback.

peachh

-Casey

elambo 17th July 2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Muse (Post 9236510)
are you telling me in no uncertain terms you had the money to buy a bricasti yet you decided to stick with these plugins?

I've had the money to buy a Bricasti since it was first introduced but failed to sense the advantage of a single stereo unit over my existing Lexicon hardware (at the time). If it offered 4 channels I'd have reconsidered but I use a fair number of channels of verb.

But now, I can run with Exponential and feel no compromises. And it's extremely efficient so I can use many of them, with different settings, in one session.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic Muse (Post 9236510)
i figured a Bricasti IR would be the next best thing to an M7

It would be nice if that were true, but it isn't. The unit which was sampled (M7) is great but the technology used to reproduce it (convolution) doesn't do it justice. Listen to the hardware/software comparisons available on this site -- there's simply a huge gap. It's akin to taking a picture of a sunset, printing it on a low-resolution printer, then saying it's the next best thing to staring at a sunset. Why else would Bricasti speak so positively about the IRs, practically promoting them? Because they know that they're not likely going to lose many sales to IRs of their hardware. Convolution simply has its sonic limits. Google Michael Carnes' podcast interview where he discusses convolution -- it's very enlightening.

Exponential offers nearly every plugin format so try it and decide for yourself, but be prepared to spend the money to keep it after the demo expires. I'm just warning you.

baslotto 17th July 2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 9236606)

I also am a great fan of Reverberate, seriously powerful plugin, a must in PT11 at the moment. And for $50 it's a no brainer.

liquidsonics 17th July 2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 9236907)
I love their position on charityware. I would love to visit with them to create the definitive m7 convolution library/playback.

peachh

-Casey

Offer accepted kfhkh

Casey 18th July 2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elambo (Post 9238243)
Why else would Bricasti speak so positively about the IRs, practically promoting them? Because they know that they're not likely going to lose many sales to IRs of their hardware. Convolution simply has its sonic limits. Google Michael Carnes' podcast interview where he discusses convolution -- it's very enlightening.

Michael is a good friend, and yes, always enlightening! I love the work he has done. kfhkh

We promote the IRs because the alternative industry position is to frown on IRs. I really do feel the need to repeat how we are ok with it.

It promotes sales and creates value out of thin air.

And it's always fun to hang with guys like Matt at Liquid. So why not?

peachh

-Casey

Zoot 24th July 2013 02:14 PM

Could anyone give me an indication as to how Phoenix's plate compares to Lexicon PCM Vintage Plate.

I am going to demo it tonight, as I am in a real jam with PTHD11/HDX. I have things to mix and revibe sucks on drums.

I need a dope aax 64 plate verb for snare and toms.

bee 24th July 2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elambo (Post 9236428)
You should download the demo of Phoenix and R2 from Exponential Audio. I know you asked for convolution but these two are so advanced that they're worth losing your IRs. No convolution reverb I've heard (all the popular ones) even competes on the same playing field. I'd considered a hardware Bricasti -- I don't anymore.

Wow, that's complement for Exponential Audio. Can either of those reverbs do awesome small room reverbs like the Bricasti?

jwh1192 25th July 2013 03:10 AM

does anyone think we will see TL Space go AAX 64bit ???

WKG 25th July 2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 9236606)

Yup. Liquidsonics is a great company and Reverberate is nice. I like the new blue GUI also.

I've got the Bricasti IR's and they work just fine.

Zoot 25th July 2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1192 (Post 9264900)
does anyone think we will see TL Space go AAX 64bit ???

RIP TL|Space. It had a good run. I enjoyed its plate for a while... but there are better verbs out there.

Avid have flat-out stated that Space will never be ported.

shatz 25th July 2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoot (Post 9266087)
RIP TL|Space. It had a good run. I enjoyed its plate for a while... but there are better verbs out there.

Avid have flat-out stated that Space will never be ported.

That's not true. This topic is going on over at the DUC.

Zoot 25th July 2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatz (Post 9266163)
That's not true. This topic is going on over at the DUC.

It WAS listed on Avid's site that it will not be ported... Now it is not.

So who knows.

I know that I don't care - and I own it. Other options are way better.

I am still awaiting Massey to release a reverb. I'd buy it.

(Maybe he will after all his plugs are ported)

jimbridgman 25th July 2013 07:00 PM

I will say that the samplicity IRs are very good for what they are.

They do a decent job of emulating the bricasti, does it do it just like a real hardware bricasti, no, but it does sound very nice.

I have both the liquidsonics reverberate and the altiverb plugins and I have had not one issue using these IRs, they sound good on a lot of sources. My favorite "preset" from this bundle is the Corn Room. I think it is based off of the real deal from the Prarie Sun Studios room C in California, Here:
Prairie Sun's Studio C

This sounds very close to the bricasti version, but I can tell it is not the real thing when using an IR, not that it is bad at all, just you can tell it is a "modeling", or "snapshot" or whatever you want to call it.

The IRs can be found here:
Samplicity's Bricasti M7 Impulse Response Library v1.1 - Samplicity

I will say that I have not used my bricasti in a bit... I still use my bricasti and use it a whole lot on things, but just not in a couple months.. but when doing some quick sessions and need to stay ITB, these IRs do the trick for me. If I really need the real thing, then there is no substitute. If you can't afford one, then this will get you a nice reverb for not even close to the price.

Now some of the other plugs mentioned are awesome as well, I think it just really is more of what meets the needs for the project you are working on and the workflow that is needed for said project, and the type of verb you need for that project. Sometimes a hardware reverb can be just overkill for certain things, yes even the bricasti, as hard as it is to believe. You sometimes just need a little hint of something and an IR or software plugin just can do the trick from time to time.

Jim


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:15 AM.

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.