Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   I want to start recording songs, which software should I go for in my case? (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/852278-i-want-start-recording-songs-software-should-i-go-my-case.html)

KaiZ 10th July 2013 11:53 PM

I want to start recording songs, which software should I go for in my case?

Hey there, at the moment I'm a bit lost, mainly on which DAW and OS I should use for my music recording.

I've currently got a PC where I've got Windows and OS X installed, and to start this off, I don't know which one I should use for audio stuff.

As a day to day operating system, I prefer using Windows and very rarely boot to OS X, so if possible I'd like to stick to Windows.
However, maybe OS X does have advantages that Windows doesn't, especially since most of the time I see Macs instead of normal PCs in recording studios.

As for the DAW, my knowledge with DAWs is basically on a starter level, but I'd need something for recording my guitar, something to use with drum machine VSTs such as Addictive Drums and EZ Drummer, and included instruments such as piano/keys and bass guitar (not sure if external VSTs would be better for this, but if so I don't know what options are out there). Also, different effects for vocals would be nice, but that's probably something most DAWs will have by default.

Well, I think that's about it, I hope someone here can guide me on both subjects... Thanks in advance! kfhkh

Muser 11th July 2013 01:33 AM

probably studio one might be a good choice for your needs.

Reverb 11th July 2013 01:56 AM

Download some demos. There are a ton of good options out there.

Reaper has the best price- quality ratio and will run well on just about any system. You should start there. If it meets your needs you'll be saving a lot of money.

Cubase , Logic, and Ableton are favored by electronic musicians. Reason seems geared towards that also.

Pro Tools is good choice if you plan on working in the industry ( post production etc) but it is incredibly fussy with regards to system specs, especially on pc. Do your homework if you go that route.

Studio One and Sonar have loyal fan bases.

brockorama 11th July 2013 04:43 PM

You need an interface as well.

I just got a focusrite scarlett 2i2 to track acoustic guitars in my house and for 150 bucks its a no brainer.

Pair it up with reaper and you are rockin---cheers kfhkh

kaboom75 11th July 2013 04:55 PM

Third party effects and instruments are better than what you get in DAWS.
I would demo Ableton Live 9 I once tried Studio One 2, it was good but zero midi effects so difficult to use if you want to play a few instruments at the same time like a one man band.

ASIO4All will let your OS run the ASIO for the DAW so you don't need ASIO sound card until you are running zillions of tracks or you need to plugin mics and hardware synths.

brockorama 11th July 2013 06:29 PM

I see you want to record guitar. An interface of some type will be very useful.

I recommended one but there are many to choose from. Good luck.

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.