Best plugin limiter to date ?
PureArtist
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Best plugin limiter to date ?

What is the best plugin limiter to date ? From Waves L2 to FabFilter Pro-L to Slate Digital FG-X to Voxengo VariSaturator. Is there one plugin that is the greatest at this moment ?
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Head

I have quite a few Limiter Plugins but my Fav is the A.O.M Limiter. Its used to be FabFilter till the A.O.M. came into my life.
PureArtist
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrychua View Post
I have quite a few Limiter Plugins but my Fav is the A.O.M Limiter. Its used to be FabFilter till the A.O.M. came into my life.
Yeah right ..... Lol.
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

What's so funny?

Sent from my GT-I9100
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Im still finding the UAD Limiter excellent. FXG might be good for loudness but i hear all sorts of distortions when i drive it past about -14RMS.
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
ReaComp
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Fabfilter Pro-L is great. Ozone 5 is also great but I like Fabfilter a tiny bit better because of the feature of easily hearing the same volume and what the limiter is doing to your song apples to apples. Sound wise I think Fabfilter is very similar to Ozone 5. Elephant has some cool stuff if you are looking for a sound with your limiter but normally I want as close to invisible as possible.
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
I use either the fabfilter pro-L or the UAD precision limiter. I'm a fan of both of them.
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
drake.ch

For me it is a mixture of Massey, L2 and FabFilter.

Still looking for a set-and-forget ISP solution. Hopefully the new Avid one will work.
PureArtist
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

Hi should I use VariSaturator then Elephant or Elephant then VariSaturator ?
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
A limiter for mastering belongs at the end of the chain.

Although it's an older article, it still is useful to see how different limiters are compared to each other ...
Pro Tools Mastering Limiter Shootout, Part 2
(it says Pro Tools but most plug-ins are for all DAW's)

I use different limiters - like Pro-L (which has great graphics indeed), Sonnox Limiter, Waves L - for different purposes. A lot of pro's use the FX-G but I must admit I struggled with the same problem (on a higher RMS level though) >
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
FXG might be good for loudness but i hear all sorts of distortions when i drive it past about -14RMS.
It seems it's a pre-mix issue so the plug-in does work (of course) but only if everything before in the mixing stage is right.
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

i want to know it too - what is considered the best one?
In most cases i tend not to use any of them, but if i use one for technical reasons - that would be Limiter#6. I used to use Sonnox, tried Fab and others, and to my ears Limiter #6 is one of the most musical or natural sounding units over there.
18th June 2013
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

I hear lots about PRO-L being the best for all genres. I wasn't able to demo FG-X, Compassion and Pro-L at the same time so no idea what is the best on sound quality but the most fun to work with was FG-X. All three kick the crap out of the limiter included in Ableton Live 8.

I use FG-X for EDM and Rock nothing to moan about sound wise, I'm not an expert at mastering so I trust the recommendations of it from the forums.
It's just great to mess around with very simple and fun tweaking the sound with it. Does what it says on the tin.

DMG Audio Compassion has a limiter built in that does the job very transparent I use this on a mix while trying things out because FG-X will crash Ableton Live 8 or 9 64bit If you have a few sampled instruments loaded. So I can only use FG-X when final mastering with just the imported final WAV file. There wouldn't be enough CPU to run FG-X and the mix synths and effects anyway.

Now if the compressor within FG-X had it's own makeup gain knob and additional dll just for the compressor it would be a no brainer.

Live 9 has Cytomic The Glue for limiting going to give that a go. Anyone tried Cytomic The GLue for limiting and making it a bit louder?
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Gear maniac

Recently I've been using Oxford Inflator and just clipping in the plugin, doesn't seem too pump like a limiter and sounds smoother. Does anyone else do something similar?
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
to my ears Limiter #6 is one of the most musical or natural sounding units over there.
Never heard of it before so I checked some reviews and will definitely test it. It's also a free plug-in.
Limiter ?6 | vladg/sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom75 View Post
Anyone tried Cytomic The GLue for limiting and making it a bit louder?
Not as a limiter but as parallel compression because I wanted to compare both The Glue and Waves SSL. But it has very good references so maybe it will also work for limiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeline-rec View Post
Does anyone else do something similar?
I use it as a maximizer on the output channel with 0.0 input and -3.19 output (so the volume stays in balance). Nothing really spectacular but it does what it must do.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

FGX , Sonnox , Fabfilter , L3-16
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Limiter no.6 is off the hook
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear

My top 3:

Sonnox Inflator & Sonnox Limiter Combo
Pro Audio DSM-V2
Voxengo Elephant 3

I dont like Pro-L much, but used it on a acoustic song yesterday, and it worked just fine after DSM-V2. Made things wider slightly.

Still to try the A.O.M and the free Limiter #6

Edit: the free Limiter No6 is great. Loud and clear...just wow. The AOM Invisible Limiter is fabulous, super clean and gets really loud without the usual pumping or side effects. May have to pick this up real soon.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Gear maniac

Favs-
1 - aom limiter
2 - flux pure limiter 2
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear
UAD Precision Limiter > Studio One stock Limiter > Stillwell Event Horizon > Kjaerhus MPL

These are the ones I'ev used enough to comment on. I like them in that order ^^, from best to not best.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear

is this the most frequently asked question on Gearslutz?
it seems this topic pops up every month.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureArtist View Post
Hi should I use VariSaturator then Elephant or Elephant then VariSaturator ?
Definitely use the
VariSaturator then Elephant followed by
VariSaturator then Elephant. One important thing to remember is that you need a really great rta to make this chain work.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Ozone 5 for me, but it has to be the later version that has the multiple algorithms for IRC III mode. It's just always impressed me. The FG-X Level is great too, but I never use the comp section. Never tried AOM or Limiter6...
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nverxion View Post
Ozone 5 for me, but it has to be the later version that has the multiple algorithms for IRC III mode. It's just always impressed me. The FG-X Level is great too, but I never use the comp section. Never tried AOM or Limiter6...
You may want to give the AOM a try. I had been using Ozone 5 exclusively until I tried the AOM on a rock mix. Compared with Ozone (in its various modes -- I tried them all), the AOM limiter seemed to give kick drums greater weight and punch, while Ozone seemed like it was eating the transients more. That's the main difference I heard -- AOM also appears to have a more transparent, clear, and less colored sound overall at equivalent subjective loudness levels. AOM could get louder than Ozone without distorting!

AOM settings were CH Mode: LR, Shape: Linear, Oversampling: 16x, Overshoot: Clip, Limit Level: 0dB, Output Gain: -0.3dB (this is what is usually called Ceiling). I adjusted Input Gain to get around 5db GR as per the meter, which was about as loud as I could go without distorting.

I still use Ozone 5's limiter on some ballad-type material, but for anything that needs punch, AOM is my go-to.

Cheers,
Eddie
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Hmz, maybe I'll try the AOM Invisible Limiter too. At first sight it looks like IK Multimedia T-RackS SoftClipper. And still haven't tried the UAD one. Too much choice!
Let's see if I can test them all after finishing a track.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear

I got to admit, the A.O.M is just amazing for loudness and clarity. Right up there with Sonnox, DSM, Elephant and beats the Pro-L and FGX for me.

Been trying it on everthing and I can use just AOM Invisible Limiter to achieve the loudness of two limiters in a series. That is pretty amazing.
19th June 2013
Old 19th June 2013
Lives for gear

TB Barricade
20th June 2013
Old 20th June 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureArtist View Post
Yeah right ..... Lol.
So now that there are a few others who also like the A.O.M. Limiter, do yourself a favour and try it out, instead of laughing. I dont understand whats so funny?
TNM
20th June 2013
Old 20th June 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

I think it's awful. Well not awful as such just not a patch on barricade, pro l, or fgx. I find unlike it's name, it really is rather visible. I want a final limiter to be transparent and just cleanly make what I put into it louder but sound exactly the same otherwise. That's what a quality limiter does to me. The aom limiter lets me know that it's limiting and it's not clean. That to me, is a fail.

I honestly find the notion of anyone preferring the aom to the fab filter very difficult to understand.
20th June 2013
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I think it's awful. Well not awful as such just not a patch on barricade, pro l, or fgx. I find unlike it's name, it really is rather visible. I want a final limiter to be transparent and just cleanly make what I put into it louder but sound exactly the same otherwise. That's what a quality limiter does to me. The aom limiter lets me know that it's limiting and it's not clean. That to me, is a fail.

I honestly find the notion of anyone preferring the aom to the fab filter very difficult to understand.

Well I disagree.

I have always found Pro-L to sound quite hollow in the midrange. It also excites the high frequencies. Far from being transparent. Everytime I use Pro-L, my midrange dips right down. That's why I don't mind using it on the odd track that works fine with Pro-L.

Sorry but, AOM kills Pro-L for sheer musicality. The bass, vocal, kick, snare and the stereo image stays intact - even if you push into ridiculous levels. Plus the 16x OS is superior IMHO.

As for FG-X, I'm a Slate fan...but to me the FG leveller sounds close to Pro-L, it has that top end exciter thing going on, not very natural to my ears.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search