Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   * WARNING * - Do NOT install new iLok software! (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/844460-warning-do-not-install-new-ilok-software.html)

krheatman 23rd July 2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffydog (Post 9257565)
Slate VBC intro offer is just about up....
I would but...not for now:(

Same here,I still wouldn't trust it.

Sent from my HTCONE

Dpro 23rd July 2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffydog (Post 9257565)
Slate VBC intro offer is just about up....
I would but...not for now:(

I did( get Slate VBC) with a brand new Ilok 2 and its registered and working. I did have to wait 1/2 an hour for Pace to email me back my authorization code. Though the process worked.
Maybe I am lucky, I do know I might be picking up PT11 soon so keep my fingers crossed I don't run into any issues.

Tui 23rd July 2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffydog (Post 9257565)
Slate VBC intro offer is just about up....
I would but...not for now:(

Taking into account certain files with hardware/software comparisons I've heard, you may not lose THAT much.

scruffydog 23rd July 2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpro (Post 9257738)
I did( get Slate VBC) with a brand new Ilok 2 and its registered and working. I did have to wait 1/2 an hour for Pace to email me back my authorization code. Though the process worked.
Maybe I am lucky, I do know I might be picking up PT11 soon so keep my fingers crossed I don't run into any issues.

Glad you are ok..i'm jealous!
I just don't even want to think about it...
I have 632 out of 632 Validations in my Logic 'Audio Unit Manger' right now.
Gonna keep it that way if i can!
I have hardware also so i'll keep my money for now....i'm just waiting on the UAD AMS......bumpkin

norbury brook 23rd July 2013 11:20 AM

I did get a reply and it seems this is an East West issue as there's no licenses been sent from them to my ilok account.


I've still not heard from East West, which is Bad as it's ben 24 hours now and that's unacceptable in a pro support situation.



MC

Agzilla 23rd July 2013 11:43 AM

I was really keen to even demo the SLATE VBC but with my VCC disabled with what seems like permanent effect considering they don't have an answer for my problems (Pace or Slate) and Slate's news email claims ALL problems are now fixed regarding the iLOk License Manager...

YES...they said in their email that ALL the problems are resolved..

This is CLEARLY NOT TRUE....

Anyway... much as I have supported them in the past.... I can't make the purchase either...or even demo...

I'm still looking for a solution to allow me to use the software i already bought from SLATE which was working PERFECTLY BEFORE this PACE horror show...



Ugh.... Thank god for my Calrec RQD6400 HARDWARE BUS COMPRESSOR!!!


Zz.

davidwilson 23rd July 2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tui (Post 9257776)
Taking into account certain files with hardware/software comparisons I've heard, you may not lose THAT much.

Ha ....... I'm waiting for a comparison with the Focusrite D3 plugin. :)

krheatman 23rd July 2013 09:19 PM

I bought it last night anyway.I was enticed by the GUI.
I have another ilok2 and ilok1,and 3 machines.I will try and get it on tonight,maybe :eek:

Sent from my HTCONE

Greenwood Audio 24th July 2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agzilla (Post 9258781)
I was really keen to even demo the SLATE VBC but with my VCC disabled with what seems like permanent effect considering they don't have an answer for my problems (Pace or Slate) and Slate's news email claims ALL problems are now fixed regarding the iLOk License Manager...

YES...they said in their email that ALL the problems are resolved..

This is CLEARLY NOT TRUE....

Anyway... much as I have supported them in the past.... I can't make the purchase either...or even demo...

I'm still looking for a solution to allow me to use the software i already bought from SLATE which was working PERFECTLY BEFORE this PACE horror show...



Ugh.... Thank god for my Calrec RQD6400 HARDWARE BUS COMPRESSOR!!!


Zz.

Hey Ag,
if you're on windows, you may want to check out the driver reversion guide here:
XPfree - Tracktion 3 Unlock Guide

The instructions will be almost exactly the same for Vista and Win7.
Cheers,
GA

Agzilla 24th July 2013 01:07 AM

Thanks... but i'm on a Mac....

Zz.

GMR 24th July 2013 02:42 AM

Just to report, I finally was able to do a transfer of license of Pro Tools to another user in WIN. it worked no problems, about time. I had lost the sale because of that a few weeks ago.

not_so_new 24th July 2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tui (Post 9257776)
Taking into account certain files with hardware/software comparisons I've heard, you may not lose THAT much.

<off topic>Maybe we listened to different files... and based on the number of people that got the tests wrong you either have golden ears or you are talking about different hardware / software comparisons. gooof </off topic>

Anyway, so I picked up the VBC last night because I got an extra iLok out of the deal which I think might help protect me from this iLok mess?

Yeah, that was a question. I don't really know what the issues are that people are having other than that the new iLok manager prevents all licenses on the iLok to stop working.

Does having a second iLok help me if I run into the same problems others have had? If so how?

Thanks

Tui 24th July 2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_so_new (Post 9261308)
<off topic>Maybe we listened to different files... and based on the number of people that got the tests wrong you either have golden ears or you are talking about different hardware / software comparisons. gooof </off topic>

Yes OT. The comparison thread was here on Music Computers (I think). Not a blind test, I might add.

hyposonic 24th July 2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_so_new (Post 9261308)
Does having a second iLok help me if I run into the same problems others have had? If so how?

yes, just don't sync your primary iLok, and use your spare iLok with the License Manager to get your new licenses.

Oop 24th July 2013 06:53 AM

Arrrrrrgh :facepalm: I thought this was fixed!

I was holding back on the update until the session today which kept asking me to buy plugins that were already authorised! So I updated to the latest version and BAAAAAM it's a royal mess!!


mezed PACE

Why can't devs just jump to UAD and wave goodbye to PACE hidz

davidwilson 24th July 2013 11:19 AM

As much as it would be great to see pace get this under control it's become painfully obvious were seeing the end of an era.

I'm sure all developers are deciding their future copy protection methods but it will take time.

For now I think it's best to just stick with company's that are non ilok protected. The others will catch up soon I'm sure.

Agzilla 24th July 2013 01:45 PM

Add to that... companies that don't bullshitt their way along either....

Companies that don't blatantly lie....

Companies that ACTUALLY offer customer service, after sales care....

End of an era indeed.....


Don't believe the hype.



Zz.

drewwebsteraudio 24th July 2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwilson (Post 9262074)
As much as it would be great to see pace get this under control it's become painfully obvious were seeing the end of an era.

I'm sure all developers are deciding their future copy protection methods but it will take time.

For now I think it's best to just stick with company's that are non ilok protected. The others will catch up soon I'm sure.

I waited a few weeks before installing the new iLok software. Literally everything went smooth and moving and adding licenses has literally never been easier or faster.

This has been the same for several of my friends who use iLok as well.

This is not the end of iLok by any means. I still love iLok. I also love the eLicenser or any company that offers some kind of dongle protection. I like being able to install the software as many times as I like and never have to worry about running out of authorizations.

I'm sorry some of you are still having issues, but iLok and companies support for iLok aren't going anywhere.

jigsound 24th July 2013 02:29 PM

"I like being able to install the software as many times as I like and never have to worry about running out of authorizations."

Ah, you mean just like the solution the Plugin Alliance and Waves is offering...

GJ999x 24th July 2013 02:44 PM

Thanks, and good to have balanced commentary (even if we're well across the threshold for acceptable numbers of livid customers...)

Can I ask, are you mac or PC? I'm still putting off installing VBC until I'm more comfortable that enough Mac customers are doing ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewwebsteraudio (Post 9262426)
I waited a few weeks before installing the new iLok software. Literally everything went smooth and moving and adding licenses has literally never been easier or faster.

This has been the same for several of my friends who use iLok as well.

This is not the end of iLok by any means. I still love iLok. I also love the eLicenser or any company that offers some kind of dongle protection. I like being able to install the software as many times as I like and never have to worry about running out of authorizations.

I'm sorry some of you are still having issues, but iLok and companies support for iLok aren't going anywhere.


johnnybregar 24th July 2013 03:36 PM

Serves me right for not keeping up to date on Gearslutz. I installed the license manager for an older iLok because I was doing some symphonic work and authorized my East West Sounds Online strings. After I did that, my Pro Tools license disappeared.

I called iLok and they basically said that that's impossible and told me to contact Avid. So I did. I ended up 3 weeks later finally getting my license back, but it's only because a friend was able to help....

The band that was in the studio at the time had to home. Bummer.

edwinhurwitz 24th July 2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwilson (Post 9262074)
As much as it would be great to see pace get this under control it's become painfully obvious were seeing the end of an era.

I'm sure all developers are deciding their future copy protection methods but it will take time.

For now I think it's best to just stick with company's that are non ilok protected. The others will catch up soon I'm sure.

Sadly, I don't think it's that easy and that iLok is not going away. The real problem here is not that there was an issue with iLok but that Pace has not done anything to recover what goodwill they had before the fiasco. They had an opportunity to go above and beyond with not only their customers (the developers) but the end users (us) and have not. The tragedy is that they have a product that has good potential and excellent market penetration. However, at this point, there attitude makes us feel like we've assumed a position for another kind of penetration. Perhaps their still a window of opportunity for them to do something that would restore their credibility, but it would have to be a huge gesture. Punishing the legal users of their customers' products like this has only created multiple levels of ill will, as we've seen on this very thread.

So, will we continue to muddle along, with a festering bad feeling about Pace and every company that chooses them or will they step up and do something that in any way restores faith? It's up to them and the time is slipping away if it's not gone already. I won't be ditching my iLok right away, because too much of the software I use every day relies on it and it seems to be working for me, but I will be urging the companies to find an alternative. I sincerely hope Avid's response isn't to go back to using their hardware as a dongle. I find Avid to be as unresponsive as Pace, so urging them to find an alternative won't work.

It's a shambles.

raincityrecorder 24th July 2013 04:35 PM

I'm so pissed with this ilok crap. My machine ran perfect before installing Slate VBC and new ilok manager. Now 2 weeks later I'm still unable to mix as VCC,VBC,VTM are super messed up. It's taking about 4 mins to open a single instance of those plugins. If I open a mix sesh with VCC on every channel it's taking 65 mins to open! I've contacted Slate and they were very fast with reply but quickly washed their hands of the problem by sending me to Ilok and telling me it's not an issue with their plugs. Weird since every other plugin is working fine, including FGX and Trigger. So I've been in contact with Ilok and have sent in my auth log file last week. Still not a peep from them. Ilok has the worst service on this planet. I've tried everything, followed all the instructions perfectly and I'm still stuck with this problem. So weird that it's only with VCC,VTM,VBC. This is complete crap. Anybody else in the same boat? I'm on Mac snow lep with HD 8.

GJ999x 24th July 2013 04:43 PM

Sorry to hear that... did you install the new software on your main machine? I heard others are doing OK by installing the new software on a seperate, non-music maschine, updating their ilok via. that, and then sticking it in their main machine... that was my understanding anyway (I havnt tried but aim to soon, bought VBC some weeks ago.....feel like i'm in the garden of eden!!)

Four minutes to open is as good as unusable. The minute-long logic graphic freeze bug was bad enough. I suppose the only thing worse would be something that theatened stability, risked dataloss mid-session etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raincityrecorder (Post 9262825)
I'm so pissed with this ilok crap. My machine ran perfect before installing Slate VBC and new ilok manager. Now 2 weeks later I'm still unable to mix as VCC,VBC,VTM are super messed up. It's taking about 4 mins to open a single instance of those plugins. If I open a mix sesh with VCC on every channel it's taking 65 mins to open! I've contacted Slate and they were very fast with reply but quickly washed their hands of the problem by sending me to Ilok and telling me it's not an issue with their plugs. Weird since every other plugin is working fine, including FGX and Trigger. So I've been in contact with Ilok and have sent in my auth log file last week. Still not a peep from them. Ilok has the worst service on this planet. I've tried everything, followed all the instructions perfectly and I'm still stuck with this problem. So weird that it's only with VCC,VTM,VBC. This is complete crap. Anybody else in the same boat? I'm on Mac snow lep with HD 8.


raincityrecorder 24th July 2013 05:05 PM

I didn't keep up with gearslutz as I've been bunkered down in the studio for the last few months so I didn't find this thread till it was too late. I've never had an ilok problem before so I didnt even think about doing it that way. I've installed it on my work machine and no matter what I do it's still messed. I tried the sync repair on a diff machine but it's still the same issue. I feel as if it's constantly checking my ilok for auth for each instance of VCC rather than once per sesh. Driving me nuts!!!! Didn't Avid buy out ilok a couple years ago? I'd ask Avid for help but they want $40 just to hear my voice.


Quote:

Originally Posted by GJ999x (Post 9262846)
Sorry to hear that... did you install the new software on your main machine? I heard others are doing OK by installing the new software on a seperate, non-music maschine, updating their ilok via. that, and then sticking it in their main machine... that was my understanding anyway (I havnt tried but aim to soon, bought VBC some weeks ago.....feel like i'm in the garden of eden!!)

Four minutes to open is as good as unusable. The minute-long logic graphic freeze bug was bad enough. I suppose the only thing worse would be something that theatened stability, risked dataloss mid-session etc.


Agzilla 24th July 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raincityrecorder (Post 9262825)
I'm so pissed with this ilok crap. My machine ran perfect before installing Slate VBC and new ilok manager. Now 2 weeks later I'm still unable to mix as VCC,VBC,VTM are super messed up. It's taking about 4 mins to open a single instance of those plugins. If I open a mix sesh with VCC on every channel it's taking 65 mins to open! I've contacted Slate and they were very fast with reply but quickly washed their hands of the problem by sending me to Ilok and telling me it's not an issue with their plugs. Weird since every other plugin is working fine, including FGX and Trigger. So I've been in contact with Ilok and have sent in my auth log file last week. Still not a peep from them. Ilok has the worst service on this planet. I've tried everything, followed all the instructions perfectly and I'm still stuck with this problem. So weird that it's only with VCC,VTM,VBC. This is complete crap. Anybody else in the same boat? I'm on Mac snow lep with HD 8.

Welcome to my world.... Throughout this thread i've had the same issues..

PACE do not care and deny there is any problem caused by their software...

SLATE pretend to care and even offered me a REFUND for my VCC purchase BUT because i'd purchased all the way back in beta stage and EVEN posted a song on their website showing how GREAT their VCC product was..... (which it was in both 32 and 64bit before this License Manager crap)

SO they TOOK BACK their offer of a refund and ISSUED ME A COUPON FOR $50 when I have explained over and over that THEIR software VCC and VBC both dependent on iLok2 ARE NOT USABLE on my machine it seems..

So my conclusion is that they don't really care much and it is further evident in the fact that now the majority of the fuss has died down over this PACE update STEVEN SLATE is NOW conspicuous in his absence from this thread...

Too busy finding time to post VBC demos and drumming up sales whilst his company send us emails stating:

"The release of this new ilok manager came with many unfortunate bugs. We have been assured by PACE that these bugs are fixed, have confirmed this on our end, and we are now sure that it is SAFE to download this new ilok manager to license the VBC."



Zz.

Tui 24th July 2013 08:37 PM

Yeah, my perception of Slate has changed dramatically - and not for the better. :facepalm:

GJ999x 24th July 2013 09:37 PM

To what extent does it make you safe to update your ilok on a seperate mac/PC? If the issue if the ilok itself being confused about what you own and dont own, why does it matter where you update it?

seanmccoy 24th July 2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJ999x (Post 9263940)
To what extent does it make you safe to update your ilok on a seperate mac/PC? If the issue if the ilok itself being confused about what you own and dont own, why does it matter where you update it?

Some people have installed ILM on their otherwise perfectly-working DAWs and had it foul up the iLoks they had plugged in at the time. By using a separate computer and iLok, the stuff that's working isn't put at risk.

GJ999x 24th July 2013 09:50 PM

Thank you, that makes sense - but does this mean i have to get a second ilok? They **** up so i buy more from them?

If so, I'll be trying Slate for that free ilok, despite not asking for it when i bought VBC....


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:41 AM.

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.