Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   * WARNING * - Do NOT install new iLok software! (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/844460-warning-do-not-install-new-ilok-software.html)

Agzilla 23rd June 2013 10:02 PM

Can't do the time machine thing..

My last backup (actual, i don't use time machine stupid i know) is from too long ago and would cause too much other grief i think...

I'm sure there's a a way to sort this out... just not found it yet! Haven't had time.. had to abandon 64bit PACE protected plugs for a hot minute...

Just WISH someone would explain WHAT the iLok does when you insert a plugin (open it for the first time)

If I knew what it was doing roughly i might be able to figure out why it takes forever to do it?

Permissions?

Something to do with the GUI elements?

Checking online?

What takes 3mins???

Zz.

QuintaQuad 23rd June 2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tui (Post 9163461)
More so than pirates, developers will have to fight the perception that, so long they are associated with Pace/iLok, they are unconcerned with the integrity and operability of entire DAW installations, and that they put profits before customer satisfaction.

This is not a good place to be for developers. They won't enjoy being labelled greedy and uncaring on every audio forum - which is exactly what will happen.

Sorry but this type of rhetoric is totally uncalled for. I've been outspoken as being fed up with Pace's long documented arrogance and lack of support for end users but calling developers unconcerned and putting profits above their customers as well as greedy and uncaring just because they are trying to protect there business is ludicrous.

Steven at Slate Digital, Michael at Exponential Audio and Greg at Kush are three developers that use iLok to protect their software and all three post regularly here on GS. They are very concerned with their customers needs and interact with them here on a personal level. I don't see how that is anything but generous and caring.

Sure it benefits them to be here but it's not required of them. That's what great customer service is all about and they are prime examples of businessmen that truly care about us, the end users.

Please don't lump all developers that use iLok into the same boat with Pace. You do them a great injustice...

rnappi 23rd June 2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orcasound (Post 9163523)
Thanks for the reply. -
Actually really needed to pick up the AcousticSamples clav library for a track I'm working on ... But don't want to screw the pooch.,.,

There's a new 9 Gig Soniccouture Clav:

Clav | Soniccouture

rich

elambo 23rd June 2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratology (Post 9163235)
No, it's not. There is no evidence whatsoever that iLok reduces piracy in any way, or increases revenue of software manufacturers.

Nonsense. I know a few developers quite well who've had to shut their doors because their hard word wasn't rewarded with adequate revenue due to piracy. iLok 1 was flawed but it held some pirates at bay, forcing many would-be pirates to pay. And pay they did. Had iLok not existed the game would have been quite different. Again, I'm not fan of iLok, but I'm a fan of eyes which are open to the real world.

iLok2 has yet to be cracked from what I understand. If you want to use iLok 2 software you must pay. That cash goes to developers, evidence that iLok helps increase revenue.

Agzilla 23rd June 2013 10:33 PM

I personally think it's VERY cool to have the developers on here talking DIRECTLY to their customers... Love hearing the details about tests n such..

However... it is worth remembering that the customers ARE the business too...

No customers..... No business....

Being active on the forums generates a LOT of awareness and in turn customers...

We've all seen the New Product Threads...

It's time's like these when the crapolla is flying at the fan and everything has gone wrong... That's when we see what they're made of...

I think Steven Slate and Greg from Kush getting involved in the discussion over this last week is commendable.

Zz.

orcasound 23rd June 2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnappi (Post 9163581)
There's a new 9 Gig Soniccouture Clav:

Clav | Soniccouture

rich

Thanks rich - I saw that. Big fan if broken Wurli and Pan Drum... AC seems to have a leg up on the clav for my needs .... But SC might win out.... Because no ilok.... Certainly not worth betting session time on a clav.

Have we confirmed that ilok is "working"?

elambo 23rd June 2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deft_bonz (Post 9163273)
I'd second that. All those plugs are available cracked.

Name one iLok2 plugin that has been cracked.

jigsound 23rd June 2013 10:34 PM

Why don't we take it a step further. Let's use body implants which directly connect with our brain in order to see if someone uses pirated software.
Oh, you don't have nothing to hide...

When is this gonna stop?

<SNIP for politics>

Btw. Cytomic and U-he are both developers (like the majority of them) who are willing to secure their products. But not with an iLok.
So thank you very much for your helpful comment.

This is beginning to become a discussion about ocultism. You are a believer, or you are not. Just like before this disaster.
Just too sad to see that manufactures are not willing to listen to their own customers (even after the newest iLok disaster)
and start making changes for the better.

elambo 23rd June 2013 10:37 PM

If it were ME I'd not play with the iLok manager if mission-critical sessions were in my near future. You might not have an issue but if you do you could be locked out of production.

nickelironsteel 23rd June 2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elambo (Post 9163629)
Name one iLok2 plugin that has been cracked.

pro tools 10?

stratology 23rd June 2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 9163391)
I am against ilok as anyone else who doesn't like it, but what you wrote above is a complete and utter fabrication.

You were replying to stratology's post which was also complete and utter bs.

Any plugin requiring an ilok 2 dongle has NOT been cracked in any way shape or form to this day. That's FACT, not bs forum talk. That means that there are plugins that have been available for at least a year now which can only be used by those who BUY them.

If it were any different I GUARANTEE that not a single dev would stand for what has happened with this recent debacle and they would be ditching it left right and centre as well as giving the CEO of ilok a real piece of their mind.

Well, if I search Piratebay, I find pirated versions of Protools or Waves plugs right away. Are you trying to say that only iLok version 1 protected plug-ins have been cracked? You're making my point, really.

Forward thinking developers (PSP, u-he, Apple,...) have either ditched hardware copy protection a long time ago, or never even started to go down that road.
They are the ones I purchase software from, not the idiots that inconvenience paying customers out of paranoia.

stratology 23rd June 2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elambo (Post 9163624)
Nonsense. I know a few developers quite well who've had to shut their doors because their hard word wasn't rewarded with adequate revenue due to piracy.

How do you know the revenue did not come in due to piracy, rather than quality of their technology? How come lots of developers that use different methods of authentication are successful?

Tui 23rd June 2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratology (Post 9163676)
How do you know the revenue did not come in due to piracy, rather than quality of their technology? How come lots of developers that use different methods of authentication are successful?

Excellent point. If it was that simple: No iLok2 > bankruptcy, there wouldn't be any developers left.

It's more like this: iLok = Fear

Tui 23rd June 2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuintaQuad (Post 9163546)
Sorry but this type of rhetoric is totally uncalled for. I've been outspoken as being fed up with Pace's long documented arrogance and lack of support for end users but calling developers unconcerned and putting profits above their customers as well as greedy and uncaring just because they are trying to protect there business is ludicrous.

I'm afraid it's not ludicrous. It is exactly what it is: Developers who continue to use iLok after this debacle tell me, by their actions, that they are willing to *knowingly* take a gamble on my ability to work and play.

Every developer has to deal with piracy. My heart goes out to them - really. However, some developers - even Waves - have made the right choice and freed themselves *and their customers* from an unhealthy dependency.

florent 24th June 2013 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 350576 any Idea ?can't get the demo of PT syncing with my Ilok

TNM 24th June 2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agzilla (Post 9163353)
Why oh why... Does it take my 64bit plugins protected by iLok literally minutes to open an instance in Logic now?

Slate VCC, UBK-1, Soundtoys.. ALL take FOREVER to open the GUI.. Slate VCC takes 3mins to open!!

wtf... Never used to...

Can't be Slates fault.. Can't be Kush's fault or SoundToys can it?

What EXACTLY does the iLOk DO WHEN YOU WANT TO OPEN A PLUGIN AND USE IT?

Someone please explain how this can take 3 mins per instance?

Impossible to work this way...

I'm running Logic in 64bit mode on an old MacPro booted in 32bit kernel mode cos it can't boot 64bit... BUT BEFORE ALL THIS iLOk UPGRADE license manager crapp it worked PERFECTLY...

IF i decide NEVER to buy another PACE protected product can i reinstall the OLD iLOk software and go back to the way things were before all this?

Although i'm doubtful as I never actually upgraded on purpose... everything was suddenly screwed up and licenses were no longer recognised.. without even logging into iLok or anything... Upgrading and going through all this was the only way for my licenses to be seen when trying to open plugins...

But at 3 mins per instance.. All my 64bit stuff protected by PACE is rendered unusable in any serious way....

If Slate, or anyone from any of these companies has even seen the problem of loading times being crazy long... if they dare to admit it and chime in here i'd be soo grateful...just to know i'm not the only one..

I've received no response to support tickets bar generic crapola...

"your call is important to us...."

Zz.

Unfortunately I have had issues like this also. Massive pauses opening a plugin. That can only be the new driver causing that.

It's getting all a bit hard to tolerate. I keep on trying to find a reason to hang on and especially cause of those lovely rare plugins that use ilok like kush, slate, soundtoys, softube.. But it's getting very hard to justify it as its one problem after another. The only ones that really have NO CHOICE are those who use pro tools sadly.

orcasound 24th June 2013 12:43 AM

So ... There are still problems ...
Has anyone had a solid working bug free transition?

sound_music 24th June 2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tui (Post 9163995)
...I didn't know I had a "61 page crusade". :lol:

:facepalm:

Tui 24th June 2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 9164028)
That doesn't mean the versions he had were ones that required ilok2 to operate.

Well, only Steven would know if there ever were developer- or beta versions in existence that worked without iLok.

mattyd 24th June 2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orcasound (Post 9164020)
So ... There are still problems ...
Has anyone had a solid working bug free transition?

I literally just tried and got my Protools 10/11 licences to activate and transfer to my iLok. My Melodyne licence also went across and now actually works.

I won't be opening Licence Manager again in a hurry. I'll just stick to this now that it works for me.

Now just to wait patiently for Avid to provide the fix for Protools 11 so that Celemony can release the AAX Melodyne :)

rmt1974 24th June 2013 01:03 AM

Good news from me

at a certain point I suspected that the LM was not recognising my iLok in some way… all my licences were correctly listed in my account section

so like I read in a PT forum I performed a clean install deleting also the previous installer

I rebooted my mac and this time the iLok appeared not connected in the right column also when I plugged it after signing operations

so I guessed my suspects were right

I rebooted my mac one more time with the iLok plugged in and then I performed again all the steps mentioned in the known issues page (I launched the LM with the iLok unplugged and so on…)

This time I noticed the iLok icon turned from grey into black (not from red into black) the ownership was correctly assigned to my account and the used amount was not 100% but only 80% (is this right for only 7 licences???)

Anyway sync/repair worked

Now I' m afraid to log out again… I will restart my system later this week but for now Im back to work

I hope this helps someone

jalcide 24th June 2013 02:08 AM

This whole thing has made me realize my real fear was mostly about theft and loss. The idea insurance would have to cover software (it never would, for what I'd be willing to pay per month).

So, I just bought the iLok ZDT (Zero Down Time). 30 bucks a year I can deal with.

They have a new feature I didn't really understand until reading it more closely called TLC (Theft and Loss Coverage). The tradeoff is that when you enable it, it needs to phone-home every three months, which looks like it's done manually in the License Manager -- a "refresh" button.

That's actually kinda cool. I can deal with that.

So, basically, if it were stolen, the most any thief would get is a 90 trial of the software (if they stole it right after you refreshed the 90 day countdown). Pretty clever add-on feature, actually.

The upshot is that ZDT/TLC ensures iLok would replace all the licenses -- no insurance policy needed.

That was my main beef.

I have another annoyance, but it's not just with iLok, but with all overly restrictive licensing systems, in general. I'll save it for another day.

SpiritShooter 24th June 2013 02:23 AM

Unbelievable, its 2013 doe god sakes.

Unbelievable, its 2013, WTF is Avid using iLok. There are many alternatives that they could use. But to insist in that little piece of shit called iLok is beyond me.

delldude6 24th June 2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep (Post 9130379)
Worked for me:

Try a full client-side (Mac) reset:

1. Open the LicenseSupportInstallerMac_v2.0.0 disk image:
http://installers.ilok.com/iloklicen...LicenseSupport InstallerMac.zip
2. Run the "Uninstall License Support" application
3. Drag the following items to the Trash:
• Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > com.paceap.eden.clientdb.v1.01.sdb
• Macintosh HD > Users > your_user_name > Library > Caches > com.paceap.iLokLicenseManager
• Macintosh HD > Users > your_user_name > Library > Preferences > com.paceap.iLokLicenseManager.plist
4. Restart your Mac
5. Open the LicenseSupportInstallerMac_v2.0.0 disk image
6. Install the iLok License Manager software
7. Restart your Mac (yes, another restart is required)
8. Open the iLok License Manager application
9. Click "Sign In" and login with your iLok credentials
10. Click on the affected iLok icon in the left sidebar
11. Select ALL of your licenses
12. Select "Deactivate" from the "Licenses" menu (this moves the licenses back to your user account)
13. Click "OK" to confirm deactivation
14. Click "OK" on the successful deactivation prompt
15. Click on your User icon in the top left of the iLok License Manager
16. Select ALL of your licenses
17. Click and drag the licenses to the iLok icon in the left sidebar
18. Click "OK" to confirm activation
19. Click "OK" on the successful activation prompt
20. Test the affected software/plug-ins
----
Simon Morrison
Simon Morrison - About Simon | Morrison Studios | Welcome | Mix Engineering Solutions | Welcome

I just wanted to confirm that this advice here worked for me and I'm re-posting it just in case someone hadn't come across it yet.

Thank you, Simon Morrison! kfhkh

dominus 24th June 2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs (Post 9163798)

Have a few things back but licenses seem to change every few days... its showing not just old demos but I'm authorized on things that I never purchased!

Almost makes me want to buy an iLok and hook it up and spin that wheel to see if I win a prize. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs (Post 9163798)
ZDT is and always has been a joke. Saw not just one, but three friends who paid for the "service" have to shell out more money to get back to work. And it was never in just a day or so, IIRC one of those cases took at least a week to resolve. Not to pile on but PACE has never, ever had much concern for us... the ultimate end users.

Not to mention, this whole episode which lasted about two weeks.

As I've said before:

A server crash shouldn't wipe your iLok clean. That should NEVER F___ING HAPPEN.

Can't try a new demo? Okay.
Can't transfer a license? Okay.
Can't install a new plugin/update? Okay.
Can't update the iLok driver? Okay.
Remove all the licenses from the iLok? Not okay.

Zyzygis 24th June 2013 04:30 AM

I suppose now it will be a matter of which will hurt sales the most, piracy or PACE.

toolowd 24th June 2013 04:38 AM

my latest pace boondoggle:

One of the problems I have is that I wanted to reload the LM in case the drivers were corrupt and that was causing my difficulties. The un-installer would not let me run it without an administrator password. The problem is, there is no password. I left it blank when I set the machine up. There are two of us that work this room, and I didn't see the point.

After almost a week, I heard back. They tell me that I can't run the uninstaller without the password (that isn't there).

it takes days for them to respond, so I guess I am stuck.

what do I do? Wipe the system and reinstall everything with a password?

Really?

wow.

Paul D 24th June 2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolowd (Post 9164484)
my latest pace boondoggle:

One of the problems I have is that I wanted to reload the LM in case the drivers were corrupt and that was causing my difficulties. The un-installer would not let me run it without an administrator password. The problem is, there is no password. I left it blank when I set the machine up. There are two of us that work this room, and I didn't see the point.

After almost a week, I heard back. They tell me that I can't run the uninstaller without the password (that isn't there).

it takes days for them to respond, so I guess I am stuck.

what do I do? Wipe the system and reinstall everything with a password?

Really?

wow.

Can you modify your admin account to add password protection? I think you can do that in Win7

Eddie TX 24th June 2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuintaQuad (Post 9164464)
I'm no fan of Pace but for now I don't see any other viable options for the developers that are presently using Pace. Hopefully one will come along soon...

I'm curious as to whether iLok2 is indeed the only option. Steven Slate seemed to indicate the other day that eLicenser is also uncracked at this time. If it really is just as secure as iLok, then devs currently tied to PACE would do well to at least consider plans for offering their products in both formats. Not a trivial effort to produce new versions of your stuff, but given PACE's track record and the ill will they've generated, it could be a good move.

Raoul23 24th June 2013 07:02 AM

I thought FG-X was ilok2 only, but its out there for all to grab