Peterson StroboSoft tuner
VivaLaVinyl
5th September 2006
Old 5th September 2006
Gear nut

Peterson StroboSoft tuner

A guitar tech recently informed me about a software strobe tuner, made by
Peterson, makers of the popular hardware strobe tuners. I was just wondering
if anyone had any experience with this product, as it's fairly new, I think.

Still, I'm considering getting it, based on the reccomendation of the tech (who
uses a Peterson hardware strobe) and the reputation of the company itself.

Anyone wanna throw their two cents my way?
5th September 2006
Old 5th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've had it for about a year.

Works well, full BFTS support in the Deluxe version if you are into that. Lots of parameters to customize and save and good for setting intonation. Cons include potential problems accessing soundcard resources if trying to run StroboSoft and your DAW app at the same time. I tune before each take, so that can get tiresome.

I also have StroboStomp and I prefer it for general everyday tuning duties since it has a hard bypass and I can run it inline before the guitar amp. Also, the display is a bit less erratic on the pedal vs. the on screen display of StroboSoft. It's easier to "cage" the strobe bands on StroboStomp ... even though with StroboSoft you can adjust the sensitivity, the bands sometimes never appear to stand still which is very frustrating.

Unless you need it to be available on your DAW or need a feature exclusive to the software, I would recommend a hardware unit like StroboStomp or the new StroboFlip.

Still, it's not that expensive, relative to what you get. And like I said, for intonation, I prefer it.
5th September 2006
Old 5th September 2006
Gear maniac

the strobostomp is a brilliant piece, and it can go everywhere your computer doesnt
5th September 2006
Old 5th September 2006
Lives for gear

The software that runs StroboSoft is even better than what's in the harware units. Lightning fast tuning and a sh!tload of options. I'm a big fan!
VivaLaVinyl
6th September 2006
Old 6th September 2006
Gear nut

Cool

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure how many people might be familiar with it.
Great to hear the positive responses. Truth be told, I'd rather have a hardware
unit, but that is not in the budget just yet.

Thanks again for all your input.
6th September 2006
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

Have been using it very happily ever since it first came out.
7th September 2006
Old 7th September 2006
Lives for gear

How do you guys like the Strobosoft on bass?
8th September 2006
Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drundall View Post
How do you guys like the Strobosoft on bass?
Great. However, due to the high degree of accuracy, occasionally sketchy on the low E and on the low B. Sometimes hard to get the strobe bands to stabilize. A light touch combined with plucking with the thumb/finger at the 12th fret, rolling off the highs and mids, using the neck pickup (if applicable), and changing to new strings can help. Then again, due to the Peterson's accuracy, a little bit off is probably much better than most other tuners. But repeatedly tuning up over and over can drive you nuts if you're as obsessive about tuning as I am.

As I mentioned above, the hardware Strobo Stomp is a bit easier to stabilize, IMHO.
8th September 2006
Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

The stabilization is often a problem with the frequency response of the pickup and in the case of the PC version the analogue section. You will see great improvement with a good studiomic that is flat down to 30hz. The freq rolloff causes fifths to be too dominant.

If you tune straight out of an Ebass or guitar take care to get the right level out.
A DI box might be very helpful.

I own several Peterson models and endorse them with vigour.

kjetil
8th September 2006
Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

I've been using TL-InTune for a while in ProTools. It works great and has never glitched and is solid down to low B.

I bought a strobostomp box when they first came out, and after trying it on a few bass gigs I gave it away. I found it vague and confusing due to my questionable eyesight. Perhaps I should have given it more time.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search