Midas Venice U24 or A&H Zed R16?
New Reply
Subscribe
.Russ.
17th May 2013
Old 17th May 2013
Gear maniac

Midas Venice U24 or A&H Zed R16?

I want a decent mixer, audio interface and summing box - I produce EDM.

I had virtually bought an Allen & Heath Zed R16 - (having done a fair bit of research) for my needs and the money it seemed ideal.

In true GS style I have blindly stumbled upon the Midas Venice U24 and need a few opinions on anyone who has used both of these units as they are both roughly the same price in the UK.

My use(s) would be purely studio based, for external outboard kit to connect to my Mac Mini and DAW (Ableton Live with Reason). I would like to be able to treat my external kit with plug ins inside my DAW through the desk and generally mangle sounds on the fly.

I am wondering how the EQ and A/D D/A compares between the two?

Also generally what would be the better option or alternative?

Cheers

Russ
.Russ.
18th May 2013
Old 18th May 2013
Gear maniac

BUMP anyone...
.Russ.
19th May 2013
Old 19th May 2013
Gear maniac

Anyone?
19th May 2013
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

try a search - there is a guy in the EDM forum who recently purchased a Midas 32F and posted about it...Ive not read much about the U series...but I assume they are the same mixer with USB...The Zed is popular tho...

As far as I can tell the USB midas have less comprehensive IO over the Firewire devices...also I believe the 16 channel Midas have more stereo channels which dont have parametric EQ on them...but I understand that the Midas quality is good...

You prob cant go wrong with either but personally Id prob go for the Zed R16 unless I could afford the space and cost of the Venice F32.
19th May 2013
Old 19th May 2013
Gear maniac

Just for your information:
Midas has a fan!
I f-n hate fans.
The old Midas consoles don't have fans and sound wonderful.
.Russ.
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
Gear maniac

A belated thanks for your responses - (2 weeks in the Dominican Republic got in the way).

It seems like there are some real good deals floating around with these Midas desks at the moment. I am wondering what the A/D D/A conversion would be comparable to these days?
t_d
11th June 2013
Old 11th June 2013
t_d
Lives for gear

i was in a similar dilemma... and went with a midas f16.

the build quality of the A&H is just way too plastic for me. the midas has real 100mm faders and feels so much more like a serious piece of gear.

it DOES have a fan... i hate fans.. and i create quiet, ambient music.. and this fan does not bother me whatsoever... it's a non-issue.

maybe the plastic quality of 60mm faders of the zed won't bother you... certainly did me tho.

looking for: simplicity
.Russ.
12th June 2013
Old 12th June 2013
Gear maniac

Hi t_d

How would you compare the audio conversion quality? (by today's standards)

And have you used this desk in a project studio environment and a DAW?

Cheers
.Russ.
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Gear maniac

Anyone care to give their thoughts on the conversion quality of the Midas Venice desks? (for example is it as good as RME?)
.Russ.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Gear maniac

BUMP anyone
.Russ.
17th June 2013
Old 17th June 2013
Gear maniac

BUMP...

(There must be one or two Midas Venice users who can give their thoughts?)
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Russ. View Post
BUMP...

(There must be one or two Midas Venice users who can give their thoughts?)
Sorry a bit late but just bought a Venice U24. Haven't used the USB yet but the mixer sounds awesome, previous mixer was an Allen & Heath PA12CP.

The sound has more clarity, mic pres are great, really high fidelity and overall the sound is much fuller. Work flow is amazing and so many option in terms of routing. Very pleased - 3 year warranty too!
.Russ.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by herby660 View Post
Sorry a bit late but just bought a Venice U24. Haven't used the USB yet but the mixer sounds awesome, previous mixer was an Allen & Heath PA12CP.

The sound has more clarity, mic pres are great, really high fidelity and overall the sound is much fuller. Work flow is amazing and so many option in terms of routing. Very pleased - 3 year warranty too!
Cheers bud.

I bought an RME FF800 to tide me over and bring me up to speed - but still very interested in the Venice U range. Let me know your thoughts on using USB with your DAW and if you have any latency issues...
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by herby660 View Post

Really want to hear some feedback. What can you compare it to as far as eq's and mic pres? I don't like that its limited to 8 x 8 but I'm sure I'd deal and just use the analog section for mixing. Most of my pro audio work is live (and often recorded) so this could be an easy and affordable option for me.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G
4th November 2013
Old 4th November 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Russ. View Post
Cheers bud.

I bought an RME FF800 to tide me over and bring me up to speed - but still very interested in the Venice U range. Let me know your thoughts on using USB with your DAW and if you have any latency issues...
Sorry only used USB to record show but quality of sound is excellent, very pleased with mixer. Get so many compliments on our sound!
8th November 2013
Old 8th November 2013
Lives for gear

using MIDAS Venice F32. loving it.

Quick thoughts on sound quality:

Preamps - handles hot signals/spikes well. certainly not an API but has that type of tight, punchy sound to it. Not fat like a Neve, but some warmth.

EQ - don't know how to describe or compare. first impression was blah but after spending some time with it.... really impressed. you can make massive boosts of highs and high mids without it getting harsh sounding. very useful, a little character but nothing crazy. simply turning the EQ on and not actually applying any EQ adds a little "something" to the sound that I love.

Converters - I've been using Apogee Rosetta 200 converters for many years, and I was worried about the Venice falling a bit short. It doesn't. It's very good, certainly not "boutique" but I find it very comparable with any quality A/D D/A.

Headroom in the board is good - clean, quiet, can handle a little pushing the red before it starts to break up into an unpleasant distortion. I will say that my particular console doesn't seem to be calibrated perfectly on the D/A.... the sound coming out of pro tools into the board seems to run 1-2 db hotter than it should.

faders are pretty good for a budget board. knobs are surprisingly sturdy.

routing flexibility is crazy. lots of options.

but, its a different board - if you are used to using an inline console or doing everything in the box you'll likely have a little learning curve. I've gotten used to it and really like it a lot.

There are different ways to tap into the analog goodness of it with your daw. here are the various ways i use it:
- Record through it
- sum mixes through it
- mix with it
- hybrid mixing - splitting the mix up between the DAW and the board
- use the inserts in your DAW to access the EQ and physical inserts on the board, but do the rest of the mixing in the DAW

Last edited by gainstages; 23rd December 2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: added a few more thoughts
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search