STEVE SLATE DRUMS SUPERIOR?? Yeah I think so
Old 26th April 2013
  #1
Gear nut
 

Thread Starter
STEVE SLATE DRUMS SUPERIOR?? Yeah I think so

Hi,

I've tried SD,AD,BFD2,everything under the sun with my DIY hybrid roland/alesis electronic drum set (using an alesis trigger i/o 10 triggers - 2 rides, 1 snare, 1 kick, 1 crash, 1 hi-hat, 4 toms - roland tom v-pads) and I have never been more satisfied with SSD personally.
I'd like to save a lot of you some trouble buying all these virtual drum software packages and wasting money like I did. SSD sounds the most realistic (still I have to use my STEP EQ to EQ the kick drum and what not) and has the most options granted not a WHOLE lot of rides to choose from thats my only complaint but I don't know maybe its in the eye of the beholder but SD and AD (BFD2 WAS THE WORST believe it or not crazy isn't it!? crap I thought BFD2 would be the be all and end all of Virtual drum software the trigger's were so f**ked up on it I couldn't take it) just suck compared to SSD. Just one opinion.

That's my story and i'm sticking with it!

thanks guys

mystic muse
Old 26th April 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Glad you found something you like. I keep listening to the Slate drums, hoping I'll like them as much other people, wondering if they could possibly be the end-all be-all solution for me. Personally, I find them over-processed sounding. Plastic-y, and soul-less.

I dunno... They sound pretty good, I guess, but they are just wrong for the kind of music I try to make right now. I'm not just out to slam Slate. I just don't think that will work for everybody.
Quote
1
Old 26th April 2013
  #3
Gear maniac
 

The thing with digital drums is that they sound very professional. Sometimes over the top. I find SSD sounds the best but AD and old Ez drummer is better for writing stuff. At least for me.
Old 26th April 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Bristol_Jonesey's Avatar
 

SSD sounds too over-processed to me as well.

BFD2, IMHO absolutely smokes it
Quote
1
Old 26th April 2013
  #5
I LOVE all the Slate Digital products. I think they're a shining light in the plugin world. I've used Trigger/SSD a lot on all sorts of projects but I do have to say I'm finding those sounds less and less useable these days.

I'm not sure what it is. Maybe my tastes are changing. Maybe as I improve as an engineer, I'm hearing things more critically. Whatever it is, I'm less pleased with the results every time.

Strange.
Old 26th April 2013
  #6
RTR
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
 

I liked them but they are in no way REAL sounding. They are very processed to the point of sounding like a drum machine, witch is a good thing if that's what your looking for/
Old 26th April 2013
  #7
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
 

I prefer a combo of SD2.0 realism enhanced with just kick and snare from Slate.
Old 26th April 2013
  #8
Gear nut
 

Thread Starter
interesting responses....

Oh crap i knew this would happen now I want to switch not really but I'm intrigued by the comments on SSD. I do typical rock 'n roll (anything that you'd expect to hear from the '60's and '70s that kind of genre) bass guitar, electric guitar, vocals, keyboards and drums. So what I'm wondering is SSD conducive to this type of recording (i know that doesn't help much)?

I dunno I might go ahead and get SD back on ....one thing about SSD that is lacking is the amount of toms, rides, and hi-hats. I love rides. I usually go for two rides and they basically only have two types of rides so perhaps i'll check and see if there is an expansion pack for SSD. Any thoughts on that?

I'm just wanting you guys to elaborate on the overproduced sound as it were of SSD? To me the thing that really sells me on it is the fact that my trigger i/o and pads and cymbals don't HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. For some reason ALL the other software have problems in which lets say I hit the hi-hat NO SOUND. or I kick the bass drum and hear the snare. I mean crazy stuff that drove me nuts. BFD2 is the worst at it for me it just never worked out. My hi-hat never played when I would hit it at the same time I would hit the kick drum.

so thats the main reason why SSD is my pick for NOW at least. It just seems to be compatibile.
Old 26th April 2013
  #9
Gear maniac
 

Slate Drums 4.0 features new unprocessed drums, in the past versions, 3.5 and before, all the drums were processed but that's not the case anymore.

Also there's a Chris Lord Alge expansion pack (engineered and mixed by CLA himself) that features another ride for the OP looking for more rides. CLAs drums are processed, but they sound totally different than Slate's, but they sound amazing.
Old 26th April 2013
  #10
Gear addict
 
rog951's Avatar
 

I do think the Slate drums sound very good in general, but I still haven't found a set of drum samples that beat the Baressi Evil Drums library...at least not for the hard rock-ish stuff I lean toward. I bought it on a whim and am thrilled I did!
Old 26th April 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I prefer a combo of SD2.0 realism enhanced with just kick and snare from Slate.
Exactly.
Old 26th April 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 

If anyone thinks any modern drum library sounds like a "drum machine" then they don't know how to use the drum library properly. Any of today's libraries can sound excellent and real in the right hands. It just depends on the style of music you're making and what you require for your drum sounds.
Old 26th April 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst View Post
If anyone thinks any modern drum library sounds like a "drum machine" then they don't know how to use the drum library properly. Any of today's libraries can sound excellent and real in the right hands. It just depends on the style of music you're making and what you require for your drum sounds.
Well certainly some are more natural sounding than others due to processing/sampling techniques.
Old 26th April 2013
  #14
Gear maniac
 
Silky Smoove's Avatar
 

I prefer SD2 to SSD, but would love to give Mixasaurus drums a try. They sound really nice on the demos I've heard.
Old 27th April 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
I also "converted" to SSD from SD2 (most of the libraries) and before that, all the BFD and BFD2. I also have most of the Abbey road/NI stuff among many other older drum libraries. What I was surprised by and liked about SSD is that since these drums do have some processing on them, it's very easy to get a great modern drum sound. I don't usually have to do much and just playing them "raw" is inspiring. I still use the other libraries either in legacy productions or if there's something SSD isn't getting (like the more raw sound or better brushes or rods). But yes, if I were recommending just one library to some one who didn't have anything and wanted to get more mix ready sounds I'd have to pitch SSD. It's all great though. If you can't get great drum tracks these days it's certainly not the software's fault:-)


Sent from my iPad
Old 27th April 2013
  #16
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thanks for the post.

Anyone who thinks that SSD sounds over-processed must not realize that SSD4, which came out in December 2011, contains 16 unprocessed kits called DELUXE that sound amazing. But I'm biased

Drums are fun though, huh?

Cheers,
Steven
Quote
1
Old 27th April 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ben_allison's Avatar
 

SSD's prior to v4 are SUPER processed, and never really worked for me. Haven't tried the newer unprocessed kits, though I'm sure they sound great.

Superior sounds like actual drums. Love all the libraries.

The best drum samples, by far, are from Analogue Drums. Super affordable, much more "organic" than the big names.
Old 27th April 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Thanks for the post.

Anyone who thinks that SSD sounds over-processed must not realize that SSD4, which came out in December 2011, contains 16 unprocessed kits called DELUXE that sound amazing. But I'm biased

Drums are fun though, huh?

Cheers,
Steven
Yes, I love the new "unprocessed" drums!! Even though they're raw, they still just sound and work better for me than the competition prior to any tweaking. Instant awesomeness!
Old 27th April 2013
  #19
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy View Post
Yes, I love the new "unprocessed" drums!! Even though they're raw, they still just sound and work better for me than the competition prior to any tweaking. Instant awesomeness!
Thank you. The unprocessed DELUXE DRUMS are the result of about a year and half of work getting the ultimate natural sound that still doesn't require tons of tweaking. Lots of attention to mic placement, mic choice, drummer technique, room response, and phase correlation.

We have a new SSD 3rd Party pack about to come out. The only hint I'll give is that it was recorded in Henson Studio B, where tons of great drum sounds have been recorded. But the cool thing about this pack is the engineer/producer who recorded it

Cheers,
Steven
Old 27th April 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
They sound good. I've played with em on a friend's setup.

I honestly prefer Addictive Drums for my acoustic drums.
Old 27th April 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Oldone's Avatar
 

I haven't found anything better than Superior Drummer 2.0. You have to treat it like a real drumkit with the necessary parallel compression and parallel EQ. I stopped searching after using it.
Old 27th April 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Thank you. The unprocessed DELUXE DRUMS are the result of about a year and half of work getting the ultimate natural sound that still doesn't require tons of tweaking. Lots of attention to mic placement, mic choice, drummer technique, room response, and phase correlation.

We have a new SSD 3rd Party pack about to come out. The only hint I'll give is that it was recorded in Henson Studio B, where tons of great drum sounds have been recorded. But the cool thing about this pack is the engineer/producer who recorded it

Cheers,
Steven
Ross Hogarth?
Old 27th April 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 

The unprocessed kits in SSD4 are really fab and every bit as good as SD2.

It's great to have both of these VI's as they cover slightly different ground IMHO.
Old 27th April 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 

You are all wrong. You need them ALL.
About the only drum romplers I dont own are the Ocean Way stuff and ADS, both of which I tired and didnt buy for various reasons.
And of course the mega expensive Megasaurus.

Obsessive? Me? Sure - but I rarely get caught without a drum sound that works in a particular track, mostly through layering though, I have to confess.
P.AS. I also bought the Zildjian cymbal sets, which are excellent for certain things as well.
Old 27th April 2013
  #25
Gear maniac
 

I've been really happy with SSD4 so far- my initial plan was to use NI's Studio Drummer with my V Drums but found the pad response to be WAY off, velocities are all over the place. I ended up buying SSD4 with the CLA expansion on a whim when they were 50% off last month and am really happy I did. The CLA stuff is great for a rock mix- everything cuts through great without cluttering the mix. I've only really used the "Deluxe" SSD kits as they sound the most natural to me. I don't have Superior Drummer but do have EZ Drummer and I prefer the feel and sound of SSD4.

My only wish with SSD4 would be to add different velocities/ dynamics of snare rimshots- as a rock player I usually hit some type of rimshot on 2+4, and that's the one area that ends up sounding fake in the v drum tracks- all rimshots are the same sample. It'd be nice to have some dynamic range with the rim shots and would further blur the line between real and sampled drums I think.
Old 27th April 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBarnes21 View Post
I've been really happy with SSD4 so far- my initial plan was to use NI's Studio Drummer with my V Drums but found the pad response to be WAY off, velocities are all over the place. I ended up buying SSD4 with the CLA expansion on a whim when they were 50% off last month and am really happy I did. The CLA stuff is great for a rock mix- everything cuts through great without cluttering the mix. I've only really used the "Deluxe" SSD kits as they sound the most natural to me. I don't have Superior Drummer but do have EZ Drummer and I prefer the feel and sound of SSD4.

My only wish with SSD4 would be to add different velocities/ dynamics of snare rimshots- as a rock player I usually hit some type of rimshot on 2+4, and that's the one area that ends up sounding fake in the v drum tracks- all rimshots are the same sample. It'd be nice to have some dynamic range with the rim shots and would further blur the line between real and sampled drums I think.
You should check out Mixosaurus if you like rimshots, the best implementation I've seen. You have snare rimshots for center, half way out and out. All with numerous velocity layers (15 to 20 I think) and 7 round robin. The library even has rimshots for the toms too which is really handy and something you don't see in other drum libraries.

SSD CLA is really freaking great too. I've been replacing the Mixosuaurus kicks with CLA kicks and blending in some of the snares as well.
Old 27th April 2013
  #27
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Thank you. The unprocessed DELUXE DRUMS are the result of about a year and half of work getting the ultimate natural sound that still doesn't require tons of tweaking. Lots of attention to mic placement, mic choice, drummer technique, room response, and phase correlation.

We have a new SSD 3rd Party pack about to come out. The only hint I'll give is that it was recorded in Henson Studio B, where tons of great drum sounds have been recorded. But the cool thing about this pack is the engineer/producer who recorded it

Cheers,
Steven
Are the COMPLETELY unprocessed? They sound like there is some mild processing to me.
Old 28th April 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino321 View Post
Are the COMPLETELY unprocessed? They sound like there is some mild processing to me.
I feel like they're "processed" in the way that, unlike BFD or SD2, I don't have to go to town to get them to sound good. That's fine by me as I like to work quickly. It's the only library where I really enjoy doing my finger drumming just for fun.


Sent from my iPad
Old 28th April 2013
  #29
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

The 16 Deluxe Kits in the SSD4 Platinum bundle are unprocessed. There were no eqs or compressors in the recording or editing chain. The sound is due to the drum choice, drummer, mic placement, mic choice, phase, and room.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th April 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
The 16 Deluxe Kits in the SSD4 Platinum bundle are unprocessed. There were no eqs or compressors in the recording or editing chain. The sound is due to the drum choice, drummer, mic placement, mic choice, phase, and room.

Cheers,
Steven
Outstanding job my man!


Sent from my iPad
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.