Login / Register

Cello Track has flute parting bleeding in track, there a way to remove the flute?
New Reply
Subscribe
Wordflute
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear interested

Cello Track has flute parting bleeding in track, there a way to remove the flute?

I've been trying melodyne, audacity and isotope rx and nothing is getting the result I need. I'd like to remove the bad flute part thats bleeding in my Good Cello track.

argg.. any solutions or tips?
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
No cheap way if melodyne doesn't do the job.

CEDAR noise reduction? there may well be a way to get it to work, there often is if you're willing to pay the price..but it might just be cheaper to retrack.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

there is no way to remove the bleed of the flute in your cello track, any of the tricks that might lessen the bleed will leave you with a bad sounding cello track. If it's that the flute is bad, you will have to retrack unless you have another take where the flute is better or if the flute is played ok and it's just that you don't like the bleed, that you will have to deal with. In that case don't try to separate them, use the bleed.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

If you have time, you can do manual spectral repair in the RX. If this doesn't help, nothing will.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

thinking way outside the box ... IF you have the bad flute part on it's own ... flip the phase on the isolated flute track and blend that in with the Cello track and see if that lessens the bad flute part without taking away from the cello to much. are there any other instruments to mask or is this a cello flute duet ?

have done this with some post production problems and sometimes can help ..

just a thought ... hope it helps ..

cheers

john
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
thinking way outside the box ... IF you have the bad flute part on it's own ... flip the phase on the isolated flute track and blend that in with the Cello track and see if that lessens the bad flute part without taking away from the cello to much. are there any other instruments to mask or is this a cello flute duet ?

have done this with some post production problems and sometimes can help ..

just a thought ... hope it helps ..

cheers

john
why I suspect that wouldn't work is because of this, the phase relationship between the direct flute mic and the flute bleed into the cello mic are different, so flipping the polarity won't cancel it out, maybe it might be possible to use some kind of In Between Phase device like an IBP or the Colortone plug in, but I doubt it.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

NOTHING is going to completely get rid of the flute while maintaining the sonic integrity of the cello. The phase idea is a good one, but as MLab pointed out, it will only work if you have a near identical recording of only the flute (preferrably identical).

All of these tools - Melo, RX, etc. are good to a degree. They do not do what alot of what many people think that hey can. That's because of marketing. They say "get rid of all of this noise and hum and unwanted whatever..." But what they DON'T say, is that in doing so, you will affect other parts of the recording that you dont want to affect, and potentially ruin those parts. I guess that's because if they did say that, their sales would go way down.

Cheers.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

The phase thing would work if you used two ideal omni mics in an anechoic chamber. Even than you would have to compensate for air absorbtion.

From my experience it is possible to remove an instrument from a mix with spectral repair, but it's very time consuming. You have to manually erase all the harmonics + the base frequency of the flute. Izotope RX can work on very narrow bands and as long as there arent to many important harmonics on the same frequency, you can remove the flute without destroying the sound of the cello.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Wordflute, do you have a flute recording too? Post a sample of both for us, we'll give it a try.
TNM
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

are you on mac Wordflute? there is the prosoniq software.. unveil is designed to remove reverberation and ambience, not complete sounds.

isolate is designed to remove complete sounds. It is expensive, and i have no idea how it compares to RX.
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

Although I've never used it I believe the developers of Unveil state... and here's a quote from their site. 'UNVEIL allows you to bring the key features of a recording into focus, or move them to the background...' So I assumed that it would lessen the bleed. The demos are quite impressive and demonstrate how Unveil blocks out background noise whilst bringing the desired foreground sound into focus. Might work on the flute bleed, just demo the software.
29th March 2013
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

agreed on the phase thing, but you never know what might work sometimes until you try .. stranger things have worked and without any additional info about the track it is tough to suss it out ... and if i missed something in an earlier post please just disregard ...

how much do you need to bury the flute ? my i ask again if this is a cello & flute piece, or part of a larger ensemble ?

was there a short clip of the cello posted ? would love to take a listen

and also, Is there a Flute part in Isolation ? i see some speaking of replacing with Wooden Flute ... again most curious .. love to hear how problems are solved .. lots of great minds here to help

cheers

john
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search