Subscribe
pedrogoya
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to pedrogoya
16GB Ram MBP w/ 32-BIT DAW

Now Im confused...

As far as I know my os is working in 64bits, but my daw is in 32BITs (mainly because of 3rd party stuff). (I know about Bridge btw!)

Am I just using a limit of 4Gbs of ram processing?
If so, 16Gbs or 4Gbs of ram would have the exact same workpower on my daw if im using it in 32Bit?

I really dont want to move to 64bits. Do I have to, to really explore the cpu ram / power (eve with the osx running in 64 bit mode)?

:/
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

This isnt making sense in my head...

What about those Mac Pro's totally tweaked out with large ram & processors...

Afaik, 64bits is pretty recent (at least in daws)...so everyone who had huge workhorse computers with huge rams installed were not achieving more than 4gb of ram processing in their all time 32-bit daws?

If so, what was the point of ram (for digital music production) if it had a low ceiling of activity?

Do u get my confusion? Lolol
Help!
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to swartzfeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrogoya View Post
This isnt making sense in my head...

Afaik, 64bits is pretty recent (at least in daws)...so everyone who had huge workhorse computers with huge rams installed were not achieving more than 4gb of ram processing in their all time 32-bit daws?

If so, what was the point of ram (for digital music production) if it had a low ceiling of activity?

Do u get my confusion? Lolol
Help!
I'm probably screwing this up or misremembering, but I thought each instantiated VI/synth/wrapper/whatever was limited to 4GB, so there were ways around the 4GB limit, hence a benefit to 4GB+.
TNM
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

well tell us what software you are using! You can bridge each plugin if using bridge (and vst) in it's own process and they have access to around real world 3gb ram EACH instance! and you can use Kontakt with a memory server which will use all your ram OUTSIDE the host and it WORKS. you can still do great stuff with a 32 bit host. I know i have considered going back and working in 32 bits to avoid logic's bridge, do as much as i can, then and if and only if my project hits the memory wall, i'll then finish it off in 64 bit.. I presume i would have done he chunk of it by then and will have avoided the use of bridges.. i don't mind the bridge working in the backround it's the gui pain (and jbridge suffers from this too.. on mac only one bridged GUI can be open at one time)

so i am going to try that for my next song starting tonight.. 32 bit and if i get any warning about memory, i'll flick logic into 64 mode and finish it that way. I can't believe i never thought of this before, and i get to use my fave 32 bit plugins properly
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

So, my questions made sense?
Its really like I was thinking?
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Also the EXS24 can access the extra memory while running in 32bit mode.

From my experience instruments caused the bridge to crash most of the time.

15 inch 2 GHZ Quad i7 MBP, OSX 10.8.4, Apollo Duo

TNM
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Unless of course you go all 64 then no bridge.. but I didn't realise the OP was using logic as in EXS24. In that case Jbridge won't work for him anyway, only logic's in built bridge. Sorry for my error.
pedrogoya
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear addict

Im actually using live 9, although I use Logic too as my secondary daw.

What about all the usb gear Ive got connected (virus ti, moog sp, maschine)? Will they suffer with the daw change to 64? Will I need to update them in somewhay? Im asking this cause all of them has a kind of vst plug to be inserted on the midi channel.

Soundcard? Will suffer too? Rme needs any kind of update or is ok to go just the way it is?

I havent tested yet with the new computer (16gbs ram mbp), but would like to have some ideas ahead!

Thanks!
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Pedro, you can work fine with 32 bit DAW and 32 bit plugins in 32 or 64 bit OS

In 32 bit OS you have 4GB limit for each process, or in other words, each instance of VSTi samplers with huge multisampled instruments can use 4GB

Only if you have lots of audio tracks, LOTS, everything in RAM, 4GB could be not enough, but you can keep them on disk and stream from there.

Your audio interface and usb gear do need appropiate drivers for 64 bits OS.

Boa sorte!

Edit: I was completely wrong, what I posted applies only to 64 bit OS.... So you DO need 64 bit OS to access your full 16 GB RAM.... Sorry

Last edited by Mr. Lau; 19th March 2013 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: I was mistaken
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lau View Post
Pedro, you can work fine with 32 bit DAW and 32 bit plugins in 32 or 64 bit OS

In 32 bit OS you have 4GB limit for each process, or in other words, each instance of VSTi samplers with huge multisampled instruments can use 4GB

Only if you have lots of audio tracks, LOTS, everything in RAM, 4GB could be not enough, but you can keep them on disk and stream from there.

Your audio interface and usb gear do need appropiate drivers for 64 bits OS.

Boa sorte!
A 32bit OS can only see 4GB of RAM even if you have 96GB of RAM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
Oh!

YES you are completely right!!!!

My mistake, I apologize!!!!
TNM
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrogoya View Post
Im actually using live 9, although I use Logic too as my secondary daw.

What about all the usb gear Ive got connected (virus ti, moog sp, maschine)? Will they suffer with the daw change to 64? Will I need to update them in somewhay? Im asking this cause all of them has a kind of vst plug to be inserted on the midi channel.

Soundcard? Will suffer too? Rme needs any kind of update or is ok to go just the way it is?

I havent tested yet with the new computer (16gbs ram mbp), but would like to have some ideas ahead!

Thanks!
i don't know about the moog but the virus TI and maschine are definitely 64 bits native 100%so there will be no change there. All RME work on 64 bit mac

what machine do you have? you might already be booting into a 64 bit KERNEL but using a 32 bit OS. All newer machines boot into 64 bit kernel. Which would mean your drivers are already 64 bits.

Go to about this mac and under extensions see if it says 64 bit
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

4GB is pretty minimal for a 64bit OS. You should do fine with 8 GB. It's pretty cheap. Go for 16GB and you're set for life! (lol)

Quote:
Got one. Lots of CPU headroom means a very quiet machine under load. The extra RAM means you can have multiple apps open without a hit. Or run very big sample libraries in RAM. Or maybe you want lots of expansion without a tangled lot of cables and power supplies. Don't want to open a debate about the "death of the Mac Pro" though...
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
OS X isn't 32-bit, and has been able to use more than 4GB of RAM since about 2003 anyway, even if all the applications running are 32-bit.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search