Ipad replacing your laptop?
sopre
Thread Starter
#1
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #1
Gear addict
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 315

Thread Starter
Ipad replacing your laptop?

I'm looking at everything I have now computer wise and am content. Now I have a laptop with my audio interface/maschine for if I travel. Then I have a desktop used for internet use and then another i7 18 gb ram for music production only. Eventually next year I want a all mac set-up with Pro Tools/Logic. For now I use Maschine/Studio One. I also was looking at getting cubase 7. Didn't make sense to buy since I have Live, Maschine, Reaper, FL Studio, Reason, Studio One Professional. I bought all those and tried to find what worked best for me.

Basically I'm trying to find a reason if need be at add an ipad. If so, what can that replace? Maybe get a used ipad off ebay? Or hold off on the ipad and buy more vst's and get maybe an ipad mini later? Thanks!
#2
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
I'm looking at everything I have now computer wise and am content. Now I have a laptop with my audio interface/maschine for if I travel. Then I have a desktop used for internet use and then another i7 18 gb ram for music production only. Eventually next year I want a all mac set-up with Pro Tools/Logic. For now I use Maschine/Studio One. I also was looking at getting cubase 7. Didn't make sense to buy since I have Live, Maschine, Reaper, FL Studio, Reason, Studio One Professional. I bought all those and tried to find what worked best for me.

Basically I'm trying to find a reason if need be at add an ipad. If so, what can that replace? Maybe get a used ipad off ebay? Or hold off on the ipad and buy more vst's and get maybe an ipad mini later? Thanks!
I have an iPad, and it's more of compliment to my studio and workflow.

I use V-Control Pro as control surface for Logic.

I have the Alesis iO Dock, and sometimes send the audio from virtual synths to Logic.

The various sequencer apps are fun but you need a midi controller to get the most out of them.

Check out iDesignSound: iOS iPhone iPad Apps Audio MIDI Music News Reviews Tutorials for everything musical in the iOS world.
#3
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,031

IMO, with regards to music apps, the iPad is still a work in progress. There's a lot of really interesting experimental stuff that's fun to play around with. But the conventional Host/Plugin relationship goes against the iOS's fundamental mandate to keep apps separate; only some apps like Auria have embraced the plugin concept but it's on a per-app basis: there's no universal AU or VST format.

A workaround has emerged in the form of Audiobus which allows apps to feed audio into one an other. However, rock solid MIDI timing is still an issue that needs to be ironed out. And MIDI itself has branched out into at least two basic frameworks which has led to a lack of standardization likely to get worse since Audiobus is working on a third... in other words, Apple dropped the ball on setting up one MIDI standard for iOS.

And now that it's become possible to feed the audio of one app into another, the CPU limitations of the iPad are becoming obvious. Don't even bother with an iPad1; the iPad 2 barely scrapes by running some of the more demanding apps concurrently, and running the heavy apps concurrently requires an iPad 3 or 4. I have a 2 myself and I'm holding out on an upgrade for the next serious bump in CPU power.

So if I were you, I'd hang on to my laptop for a while yet, unless you need an iPad for something else than laptop replacement. The iPad is currently a great mobile console for travel (email, web, Skype, maps, reading, media playback, etc...) and it's also handy as an external controller for remote operations of a DAW and softsynths (that's why I got one initially). It's also very interesting to explore how a touch display can be used for creative control of sound and musical elements. There are some really novel ideas to have fun with. But IMO it still has a way to go before it's a proper and complete remote workstation, although some will say that it is already that if you're willing to work around its idiosyncrasies and limitations...
Quote
1
#4
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #4
Gear addict
 
Mighty_Zoltan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Athens GA (Originally London England)
Posts: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
it's also handy as an external controller for remote operations of a DAW
This is what I use my ipad for. Soooooo handy. Especially if you are recording yourself. I can set up my tracks in Pro tools in the control room, then walk into my live room with my ipad and sit at my Farfisa or pick up my guitar or whatever, rehearse along with the track and and then hit record when I'm ready. So amazing.
#5
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,167

My iPad has freed up my MBP to be a dedicated DAW for live use, as well as for quick writing sessions. I also use the iPad with Griid to control Ableton Live and V-Control Pro to control PTHD.
sopre
Thread Starter
#6
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #6
Gear addict
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 315

Thread Starter
I'm going to school. So do you recommend paying one off via qvc or something or saving a buying a used one off ebay? Or getting the mini via my service provider sprint? Also, I traded in my iphone 4s and have my upgrade for my line. Got the 5s 16 gb for $20. $188 was taken off from trading in the 4s.
#7
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
I'm going to school. So do you recommend paying one off via qvc or something or saving a buying a used one off ebay? Or getting the mini via my service provider sprint? Also, I traded in my iphone 4s and have my upgrade for my line. Got the 5s 16 gb for $20. $188 was taken off from trading in the 4s.
Unless you NEED the service from sprint, just go with the wi-fi models.

Plenty of used ones on ebay.

I cashed in my American Express points for mine, next will get the largest capacity, it was easy to fill up 16GB.

#8
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
I'm going to school. So do you recommend paying one off via qvc or something or saving a buying a used one off ebay? Or getting the mini via my service provider sprint?
Your iPhone can act as a hotspot, so no need to get a cell enabled iPad.
#9
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
  #9
Gear addict
 
edwonbass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 417

My iPad gets used for surfing the Internet, email, reading ebooks, and playing games. It also comes in handy as a DAW controller when I can't sit at my MCU.
As handy as it is I still don't think it can replace my laptop for certain things. I have a studio only computer so the laptop is good for downloading plugs and such that I can test out on the laptop before I let them enter the mother ship.
BTW I just typed this on my iPad sitting on my couch while not getting my legs cooked by the laptop heat.
#10
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: somewhere outside of Boston
Posts: 677

One thing is you didn't say is what software you have virtual instrument /FX wise.... I don't know off hand all the tools you have and what they come with virtual instrument / FX wise.. Usually, obviously enough.. whatever comes with one DAW type software.. you can't use in the next DAW.. rewiring options being a pseudo exception.

It's also not clear to me why you need all that or what level you're at with this stuff... and there are two basic issues that could impact your thinking relative to this stuff.

#1 When you're just starting out it might very well be that what comes with the DAW in question is good enough for you.. for some period of time... At the level I'm at.. I tend to assume, often erroneously, that what comes with the DAW "isn't good enough," so I mostly rely on a plug in folder that goes with me from DAW to DAW.

#2 There's a danger when getting too many DAWs.. that you don't get really masterful with any of them. I think this is especially an issue when you're starting out.. I've been making music on computers since the 90s.. I now mostly just move between Digital Performer, Reason, and Ableton... and because I move between these programs I'm not as strong in any given one as I could be.. so even with a lot of experience there's trade offs.

I remember reading this book from Berklee press that suggested "never buy a new synth until you've mastered what you already got.. and though that sounds like crazy talk give how things are today.. I think there is still huge value in limiting your tool set.. and focusing on a few tools. (Advice I don't follow AT ALL but still probably good advice)

I don't have an iPad.. but the most basic version of a new one is $500, right? I mean not including the new smaller ones? I don't know if the $500 model makes sense for the amount of space on it but..

Well here's my picture.. I see there as being a continuum between between desktop, laptop, ultra portable laptop, tablet, and smart phone.. and I think there's value in having something that fits into all of these categories.

I'd mostly echo what other people are saying.. that I think the biggest draw of the tablet / iPad is that you interact with it in a way that's different from a regular computer.. plus there's a different form factor.

I want one to be able to do the Jazz Lumer type stuff / control for Ableton / regular DAW.. and I don't really have a lot of expectations beyond this.. music making wise anyway.

I also have the impression that there's a very short shelf life on iPad's and iPhones.. although that probably doesn't effect using it as a controller as much as it would in other areas.

If you're thinking about adding Logic and ProTools... I don't know studio one well enough to say this.. but I might drop Logic.. for an iPad... an iPad might have more value for you simply because it takes you into an area that you don't have access to.. where as with your DAWs you have a lot of overlap.
rlg
#11
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
  #11
rlg
Gear maniac
 
rlg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
IMO, with regards to music apps, the iPad is still a work in progress. There's a lot of really interesting experimental stuff that's fun to play around with. But the conventional Host/Plugin relationship goes against the iOS's fundamental mandate to keep apps separate; only some apps like Auria have embraced the plugin concept but it's on a per-app basis: there's no universal AU or VST format.

A workaround has emerged in the form of Audiobus which allows apps to feed audio into one an other. However, rock solid MIDI timing is still an issue that needs to be ironed out. And MIDI itself has branched out into at least two basic frameworks which has led to a lack of standardization likely to get worse since Audiobus is working on a third... in other words, Apple dropped the ball on setting up one MIDI standard for iOS.

And now that it's become possible to feed the audio of one app into another, the CPU limitations of the iPad are becoming obvious. Don't even bother with an iPad1; the iPad 2 barely scrapes by running some of the more demanding apps concurrently, and running the heavy apps concurrently requires an iPad 3 or 4. I have a 2 myself and I'm holding out on an upgrade for the next serious bump in CPU power.

So if I were you, I'd hang on to my laptop for a while yet, unless you need an iPad for something else than laptop replacement. The iPad is currently a great mobile console for travel (email, web, Skype, maps, reading, media playback, etc...) and it's also handy as an external controller for remote operations of a DAW and softsynths (that's why I got one initially). It's also very interesting to explore how a touch display can be used for creative control of sound and musical elements. There are some really novel ideas to have fun with. But IMO it still has a way to go before it's a proper and complete remote workstation, although some will say that it is already that if you're willing to work around its idiosyncrasies and limitations...
+1. For music, fun to play with, but too many limitations to think about it as a serious tool.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sethbrand_12 / So much gear, so little time!
34
PlugHead / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
34
cajonezzz / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
13
TOR / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
23
Telepc / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
8

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.