Login / Register

Confused and frustrated, is it Logic or my computer, or both???
New Reply
Subscribe
elvtnedge
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear nut

Confused and frustrated, is it Logic or my computer, or both???

So like the title says I'm at my wits end here.

Fairly new Logic user, long time Garageband user but grew out of it.

I'm running Mountain Lion on my late 2008 2.4 core duo 2 MBP with 8 gigs ram, using an external 1TB 7200rpm firewire drive for logic projects. Using a TC electronics Konnekt 8 as my audio interface (firewire)

My story is that I used to use Garageband but switched to Logic due to limitations as well as simple 5 to 6 track songs using guitar rig or similar would be crapping out saying it couldn't play parts. Opening the same projects in Logic everything worked fine.

Fast forward a couple of years now and working on larger projects 10-15 tracks (just my own stuff but still) and Logic has been getting bottlenecked. I have been freezing tracks etc but that's not the problem.

The problem has been a random reoccurring problem of opening Logic and within about 10 seconds it freezes on me. If I hit play in that 10 seconds, I can't stop it. If I move the mouse over the track inspector (where you select record, mute etc) it acts like I've left clicked on the mouse and it will move the track up or down depending how I move my mouse. So let's say the track "guitar" is the 10th track down in the list, if I move my mouse up it will move it up to the 3rd spot lets say but won't let go. Clicking on the apple logo to force quit doesn't work. I have to open safari, making that window active, and then I can click on the apple logo and force quit Logic. I had posted this problem with no replies as I'm sure this is a strange one. I had to delete the plist files and reboot. That seemed to solve it.

3 weeks ago this occurred again and I had forgotten the procedure and deleted logic and reinstalled. Didn't help so I did the plist trick and it worked.

The other day I tried mic'ing up my guitar cab (which I posted here but no replies, again another bizarre thing) and I had to crank the input gain on my TC unit. The wave form was practically clipping but the track volume was too low to monitor and record this way. I tried Garageband yesterday and in that program the monitoring is much louder (go figure). So I opened up Logic to try it again and got a system overload message in Logic, then I had this freezing issue again, but this time I can't do anything. It opens and freezes. I tried the plist trick again and rebooted. I did this 4 times already and Logic is unuseable. I can try it again when I get home tonight but I gave up last night as I have had enough.

My question to you guys is, is this normal? I don't know what to do at this point, but I can't even record my own music without problems. I don't even know how to fix the current problem as I'm out of ideas. I don't know if these are Logic bugs, or maybe if my computer is giving me a sign that it's time for an upgrade. If a computer upgrade will fix these problems then it's worth it to me.

It's all of this and the little things like the fader tool only works on fade ins, not fade outs and a few other quirks that have irked me in the past.

I like Logic but is this cause for a change to something like Studio One or another DAW?
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear interested

Long time Logic user. Running Snow Leopard on my main studio computer and ML on my laptop. Was nervous about ML because everyone I know is staying in SL as it relates to Logic. That said, I have had very few issues.

Logic and Mountain Lion are very happy together. Most major software instruments and plugs are good at this point as well.

2 things.........Logic and Lion are best in 64 bit mode. You will access ALL of your RAM and CPU will be much more efficient. Make sure you're in 64.

Having gone thru some serious research about the move to Mt Lion, it sounds like you may have hardware issues. 2008 era Macs, while fine for most applications, may not be good with Mt Lion and Logic. CPU issues and RAM. The RAM in 2012-13 era macs are 30% faster. My Macbook Pro with I7 processor is crazy fast. No issues with MIDI or Audio. I'm a power user, so I tax this baby.

I think its hardware in your case.....hope this helps.
elvtnedge
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerox View Post
Long time Logic user. Running Snow Leopard on my main studio computer and ML on my laptop. Was nervous about ML because everyone I know is staying in SL as it relates to Logic. That said, I have had very few issues.

Logic and Mountain Lion are very happy together. Most major software instruments and plugs are good at this point as well.

2 things.........Logic and Lion are best in 64 bit mode. You will access ALL of your RAM and CPU will be much more efficient. Make sure you're in 64.

Having gone thru some serious research about the move to Mt Lion, it sounds like you may have hardware issues. 2008 era Macs, while fine for most applications, may not be good with Mt Lion and Logic. CPU issues and RAM. The RAM in 2012-13 era macs are 30% faster. My Macbook Pro with I7 processor is crazy fast. No issues with MIDI or Audio. I'm a power user, so I tax this baby.

I think its hardware in your case.....hope this helps.
ML is default so would that be 32 or 64? and Logic is at 64
elvtnedge
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear nut

No other opinions or suggestions? I came home rebooted and same issue, rebooted without my audio interface, same problems. Cleared plist yet again, and tried a file that was on the internal and same thing. I downloaded smart utility and it said drive is failing with one bad sector.

How accurate is this program and any ideas guys? Can 1 bad sector cause this problem if that program is right?
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yes if you mac or Logic is trying access data in that sector, could cause a problem with incomplete data ect.

Boot to system DVD that came with your machine, and attempt to repair your system drive.

If that doesn't work....
Back up your drive if you can, and look for a replacement.

15 inch 2 GHZ Quad i7 MBP, OSX 10.8.4, Apollo Duo

elvtnedge
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
Yes if you mac or Logic is trying access data in that sector, could cause a problem with incomplete data ect.

Boot to system DVD that came with your machine, and attempt to repair your system drive.

If that doesn't work....
Back up your drive if you can, and look for a replacement.
I booted to safe mode and it was ok... Waited a bit and it messed up again. Rebooted and same thing again. Instead of replacing the drive and still lag with my current system I think it's time for an upgrade. 4.5 years is a pretty longtime to get out of a computer these days.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

ML on a C2D computer might be too much. The best OS for your computer should be SL imho.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search