New Reply
Subscribe
mr.smithmusic
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear interested

Changing tempo of a track

Hi,

I have been working on a session and have decided I want to up the tempo from the current tempo of 128bpm to 132. I have recorded in Cubase and the élastique pro algorithm seems to be effective when speeding up the tempo on the tempo track - I can't really hear any loss in quality.

My question is, would it be better to:

a) speed up the tempo now and record any new bits at the new tempo of 132bpm thus meaning some parts were recorded at 128 and some at 132

b) record any new parts at 128 and speed the whole track up when finished to 132

I cannot work out whether it would be better to have them all recorded at the original tempo and then all sped up or to have half of the parts recorded at the original tempo and half at the new tempo.

For anyone suggesting that I should re-record the whole track at the new tempo, this is not an option - it is only a demo and I do not have time to do this.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
mr.smithmusic
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear interested

Can anyone help with the above please? Thanks
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Warp the tracks.
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

I can really identify with you here. I often find getting the right tempo only happens after I have begun tracking. To answer your question, I would say 'a'. This is because changing the tempo will also change the feel of the track, and therefore how the instruments, vocals etc. are played/ sung.

https://soundcloud.com/visceral
mr.smithmusic
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear interested

Mononym, Zyzygis thanks for your replies. I have gone with a). Record any new parts at the new tempo and warp the parts already tracked. I'd really like to know the theory/science/maths behind this though and the effect warping has on quality. Anyone that can help on this?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search