Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Latency Issues
Old 18th January 2013
Gear interested

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Latency Issues

I'm running Cubase 5 in 64-bit windows 8 with an intel i5 quad core processor, 16gb of ram and a focusrite scarlett 2i2 interface. I've got the latest drivers installed, using the supplied ASIO drivers and have lowered the latency buffer down to 1ms. But I still have 56 ms of latency, is there anything else I can do to sort this out?

I've ran the ASIO4ALL driver and it says in it that the interface is working 'beyond reason', meaning terribly. Could this be a problem within the actual hardware itself?
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Have you had any luck? I'm having the same issue with very similar setup (win7 64bit, 16gb of ram, intel i5 3570k, ableton) and am having 56.4ms latency. I'm using the latest driver that came from the site. I just swapped to the Scarlett 2i2 from an m-audio firewire solo which had about 8ms latency on an intel q9450 so I'm not too psyched.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Are you sure it's latency in the audio and not in the monitor cue?
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Here is a screen from ableton live, after reducing the buffer in the driver settings I was able to get down to 36ms, still not thrilled but a bit less noticeable.

Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

i am getting a feeling that the focusrite asio drivers are really sloppy. i am only getting like 50% real CPU usage by the time the ASIO meter starts choking on my 2i2.

with the older focusrite driver i was at least able to crank up the buffer sizes to 20ms which helped a bit but since the update that is now limited to 10ms for some reason beyond my imagination. right now i started using asio4all which at least lets me increase the buffer sizes again.

i start to wish i had spent more money on maybe a babyface with proven rme drivers.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

I have never used asio4all, can I use this instead of the Focusrite driver with the 2i2 and do I need to remove the Focusrite driver first?
Either way I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

After playing around with asio4all settings for a bit and getting DJHeskey's "beyond logic" error, I selected the "always resample" option as mentioned in the pdf, I'll play around some more but I'm already much happier with the results.

Thanks for the asio4all heads up!

Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Oh, boy!
I have been having serious issues with a focusrite USB 1.1 interface - the saffire6 USB under WIn7 and Win8 with ah Intel i-5 cpu.

The suggested solution is that I buy a Scarlett 2i4, which apparently works fine and delivers good latency figures and is capable of running at low buffer settings on the i-series.
Have you tried seeing what happens if you drop your ASIO buffer down to, say, 128 or even 64?
I used to routinely run the saffire6 at 128 and 64 under |Win7 64bit on a core duo but it fell flat on its face at anything less than 144 with an i5. I could not deal with that much latency when trying to overdub playing through a VSTi.

Wondering now if this really IS all down to dodgy driver programming from ff.
Old 7th July 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Don't know why members here continue to punish themselves with focusrite USB interfaces when it has been proven time and time again, and more recently even by a daw building expert, that focusrite USB drivers are absolutely at the bottom of the heap. The answer is simple.. They are absolute junk and even if you get your latency low they will fall part and cause pops and crackles much faster than almost any then USB interface. Also, using the audio for all driver is not going to report the hidden USB safety buffers or the converter latency. Just because it says 6.53 ms latency, I can assure you it's more than that. Sorry I can't be of help but I posted here to tell you guys to just avoid focusrite and this topic is yet another reason. It's good to have the topic to warn others in the market for a USB interface. If you want a USB interface with good PERFORMANCE you need to just bite the billet and buy an RME for the absolute best drivers, or choose one of the many alternatives in the focusrite price range if the rme is out of reach. Don't be tempted by the features of the focusrite per price ratio, they are actually the worst value around because they are so crap.
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
If you want a USB interface with good PERFORMANCE you need to just bite the billet and buy an RME for the absolute best drivers, or choose one of the many alternatives in the focusrite price range if the rme is out of reach.
I`m looking to replace a ff Saffire6 & have pretty much banged my head up against a brick wall trying to get straight information on the available USB2 interfaces.
All I really need is 2 in 2 out, ideally mic and line/instrument switchable and with MIDI i/o.

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, does anyone out there make an inexpensive USB MIDI & Audio interface that actually works reliably and costs about 1/4 of what the babyface does?
I already have an excellent RME card in my studio machine, this is just for "on the road" use.

Right now I am leaning towards the Steinberg UR22,but it really is a crapshoot till you get to try out an interface with YOUR computer, is`nt it?
Old 8th July 2013
TNM
Lives for gear

Steinberg has high latency as well! Guys read the database.

I will have a good think about this for you and make some recommendations later. On mac it is very easy for me to make plenty, but on windows I need to think about it.

Mind you the ur WILL perform much better than the focusrite. That I do know.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the offer of suggestions, TNM.
Eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

I have a week or two before I have to decide about ff`s kind offer.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

I sent my Saffire 6 off to Focusrite last night. They have worked out a deal where they exchange the saffire6 and ninety UK pounds for a Scarlett 2i4, which they have assured me will work just fine and deliver low latency with my i5.

We shall see.

at least if push comes to shove I can sell the 2i4 and put the money towards a babyface....
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Head

The Scarlets are good for analogue instruments / Mics due to their good for their Price amps and the solid Chassis but it should be more a mobile solution incase not a homestudio main Interface in my opinion. Only the bigger ones are good for this 18ixx or something. Also the older models ive heard in Action were much better compared to the Scarlet line.

Also dont Forget the Scarlets can only Output 16Bit no matter what you can set them to in your DAW or anywhere. If you set them to a higher Bitrate it might come to Problems depending on the Sound Engine that has to upsample virtually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
at least if push comes to shove I can sell the 2i4 and put the money towards a babyface....
Babyface is overpriced for what its capable of. Better spend a few hundred more bucks for a proffessional solution and be happy for the next 10 years.

Hope that helps.
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearSeekerSander View Post
Also dont Forget the Scarlets can only Output 16Bit no matter what you can set them to in your DAW or anywhere. If you set them to a higher Bitrate it might come to Problems depending on the Sound Engine that has to upsample virtually.
Really???

Source???
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Babyface is overpriced for what its capable of. Better spend a few hundred more bucks for a proffessional solution and be happy for the next 10 years.

Hope that helps.
So what is YOUR idea of a "proffessional" USB2 interface, then?
Open to all and any suggestions.

But remember it HAS to be something I can hook my i5 Win7 laptop to.
And since I already use RME ADAT-based stuff on my studio machine (and have a spare 8 channel ADAT unit) I am quite taken with the possibility that I might be able to run the ADAT stuff mobile using the babyface.

I will have a look at the 16 bit/24 bit comment, as that is news to me.

Just checked and on their site ff say up to 96/24bit converters.

Quote:
Specifications
2 in / 4 out USB audio interface
96 KHz, 24-bit conversion

Last edited by ivansc; 20th August 2013 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: second thoughts
Old 22nd August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
Really???

Source???
my new toy Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Page 2 - [H]ard|Forum

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 problem, help me out?

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but can't do 24 bit??

There are alot more People that discovered the fact that the Scarlets can only do 16 Bit natively and that Focusrite is lying with their 24Bit/96khz advertisement. Just Google Scarlet 2i2 16 bit.

I had a Focusrite Scarlet myself and was looking for the reason why the Sound Quality is not what im used to not even compared to Standard Interfaces like M-Audio / NI etc... Its all about Marketing and how to make People believe.

I wouldnt use anything lower These days than Burr Brown or even better ESS Sabre Converters in my Interfaces. But there are also brands that are able to make good Interfaces without the best Chips together like Apogee and if you are not too picky about audiophile Sound Quality RME, Alesis and Avid.

Of course its another league going the Sabre way and mostly very expensive for non DIYer but its worth it.

My advises are the BLA White Sparrow and the Mytek 192 DSD depending where you live and if you have to Import them. These are pure Studio Interfaces with the best of the best Quality of conversion / Output for their Price.

My solution is DIY and costs 1/4 of one of em but you Need to assemble the Mainboard yourself + Casing etc.

Best combination in the world is ES9018 + XMOS asynchronous USB module - period. If thats inside you dont want or Need anything else till the next step in the D/A conversion which is not in sight in the next years. For example the Delta Sigma Signal conversion was known since 1960 but due to technical and economic issues this Modulation / conversion Technology was first available in 1990+. So even there are theoretically better ways to convert D -> A or A -> D the implementation and availability will be in a decade or something.
Old 22nd August 2013
Focusrite

Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Focusrite View Post
The Scarlett range is not limited to 16 bit, they are all natively 24 bit.

The only 16 bit operation occurs when using the WDM driver on Windows system. See here for more information:
Is my interface in 16 bit, or 24 bit on Windows? | Focusrite

Chris
Focusrite
Read the experiences of the People in the threads i posted where changing the Bit depth in a DAW has no Impact on the Sound Quality since the WDM Drivers cant be "negated" by the ASIO Drivers. Its also my personal experience. This Argumentation seems legit at first but in practice its not working like that. Looks like the USB Chip is only 16 Bit. Maybe you can tell us which chip is inside to make clearance about this issue. I highly doubt something like the Tenor TE7022 is inside this Interface.

But to defend Focusrite a bit some true 24 Bit Interfaces with CL in this Price range dont Sound better than the Scarlets. Its just disturbing to advertise it as 24 Bit even its not while its still a solid product for what its good at for that Price (Mic Preamps specially/Design/Connections).
Old 23rd August 2013
Focusrite Tech Support

Quote:
Read the experiences of the People in the threads i posted where changing the Bit depth in a DAW has no Impact on the Sound Quality since the WDM Drivers cant be "negated" by the ASIO Drivers. Its also my personal experience. This Argumentation seems legit at first but in practice its not working like that. Looks like the USB Chip is only 16 Bit. Maybe you can tell us which chip is inside to make clearance about this issue. I highly doubt something like the Tenor TE7022 is inside this Interface.

But to defend Focusrite a bit some true 24 Bit Interfaces with CL in this Price range dont Sound better than the Scarlets. Its just disturbing to advertise it as 24 Bit even its not while its still a solid product for what its good at for that Price (Mic Preamps specially/Design/Connections).
ASIO bypasses the Windows audio system, which is how it gets such low latency when compared to WDM drivers. This also means it is bit-transparent in relation to the converters. In fact, with older versions on Windows, 24 bit wasn't even possible with WDM drivers, which is in part why ASIO drivers were so successful. The Scarletts use the popular 24 bit Cirrus CS4272 codec chip. The datasheet for that is publicly available here, in which you can see it is indeed 24 bit.

Best regards,

Tom // Focusrite Tech Support Engineer

Last edited by Tom Focusrite; 23rd August 2013 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Correction typo
Old 25th March 2014
Gear interested

Hey everybody, I'm very new here (first post) and I realize that this is an old thread, but I actually signed up so I could go in to bat for this product. I have to admit that while I've not been a member till now, I have read a lot of things and made some informed (and some misinformed) decision about the gear I purchase based on opinions here.

The Scarlett 2i2 is a great no bull*^%t interface and is REMARKABLE for the small asking price. I recently renovated my home and part of the construction was a fairly small acoustically designed room as a production suite/mix room. It's fair to say I had some grand plans about the gear that was going into it when the bank balance was high....these plans were crushed as the carpentry invoices continued to pile up. The dedicated studio space I have sports Cubase 7 on a well spec'd pc, an rme fireface, trusty tannoy monitors, 2x uad duo cards with masses of software and tons of nice outboard preamps, etc. my plan was to purchase an Apollo quad and mirror the software and grab a few preamps and a headphone amp. Times have proven tough...

I have desperately needed to at least get moving and get acquainted with my new room, so I have gotten Cubase 7 essentials, a well specd pc (i7 3770 16gb ram), some behringer truth 2031a's and a Scarlett 2i2. All have proven to be great pieces of gear! The whole rig is a little bit less streamlined than my larger studio, but they are very small work arounds ie. not having certain edit capabilities in Cubase, no uad plugs, and latency with the focusrite, but everything is manageable! And I'm getting fantastic results! I get that there is latency, but that's why the good folks at focusrite put that sweet "direct monitor" switch on the front....yes, you can't monitor effects, but really, if youre printing a sound that you must manipulate that far from the signal, maybe reassess what you're recording.

Other added bonuses...installation was a breeze, no dramas in windows 8, the plugin suite actually sounds fantastic (the reverb in particular is very intuitive and great sounding), the micpres sound really nice, and the layout of the whole box is uncomplicated and simple to use quickly. No, it doesn't sound as good as our rme card, nor should it. But it does sound great and surprisingly "fat". I think that for the amount we have all paid for them, everyone needs to take a breath and think about the any advantages of the unit. Things like: being powered of of a USB port, a good sounding headphone out, the fact that units at this price allow younger engineers to start on something of reasonable quality, those sweet lights behind the volume pots...blah, blah. There a lot to like, and I think it neither sounds nor feels like a rock bottom "cheap" unit. Nice one.
Dc
Old 22nd April 2014
Gear interested

Sorry for the bump but I consider buying a 2i2/2i4 and i'm really lost in the latency issue. I want to record two mono synth (so i guess direct monitor is ok) and use them in "live" context ( 3 tracks with abletons' synth+effect/midi clips send thru usb to the hardware synth+ uc-33 and launchpad).
Do I lost quality or something by using asio4all drivers? Can I get a low latency ? I use a intel core i7 920 2.7GHZ with 9go of ram.
WHen i record/play, I need to reduce the buffer size? When i listen to music, I put an higher level?

Thanks
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search