Consolidating Tracks in Vegas
zenkonami
5th August 2006
Old 5th August 2006
Gear nut

Consolidating Tracks in Vegas

Story: When I was getting started with all this crazy recording action I bought a Delta 1010 that came with a full copy of Vegas Audio. Not knowing any better I said to myself, "great! I won't have to buy any software." And at the time I didn't. I happily rolled along tracking and mixing my songs, pleased with myself at this stroke of serendipity.

Time goes by, and I become a wiser fool. I get into Pro Tools and Cubase and other toys of their like. So it hits me one day, given how much more powerful those programs are than Vegas, why don't I just import the audio into PT or Cubase, increasing my ability to overdub, re-edit and remix my old tracks, perhaps actually improving on them.

Nice theory. One irritating catch. Vegas (even the most recent versions, though I know it's predominantly a video program now...I did hold out a hope that they would correct this fault) does not have anything akin to a "Consolidate Tracks" feature...or "Duplicate", etc... In fact, it really deals with files quite poorly (a complaint I also have about Adobe Audition.) So I have all these edits in Vegas files with large gaps of blank space between them.

I appear to have two options. 1) Render each track individually (which is *very* time consuming I might add), plop them all in a common folder for the project and import them into the DAW of my choosing, OR 2) Spot each track into the DAW of my choosing one at a time (Vegas is at least kind enough to allow me to save an EDL as a text file so that I don't have to copy down all the timecode by hand.)

Am I missing any options? Suggestions? Anything? As always, much appreciated, both for the advice, and for not chastising me too heavily for using what was essentially a video program with audio capability to multitrack in my "youthful" enthusiasm (though to be fair, I never had any latency issues in Vegas.)

-Zen
5th August 2006
Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

If you got the latest version of Vegas you can export your session as AAF (advanced authoring format).

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...FeatureID=8189

This can be opened by PT (HD/LE not MP !) with Digitranslator option (!) or with Nuendo.

I don't really know Vegas, but I can't imagine there isn't a way to render long audio files, you must be overlooking something...
zenkonami
5th August 2006
Old 5th August 2006
Gear nut

I'll give that a shot. I have also stumbled on an interesting piece of software that reads Vegas EDL files, AND has a consolidate feature, so I may try that as well. Might be worth the $50 or so for the license. Called REAPER. Anyone know anything else about it?

-Zen
5th August 2006
Old 5th August 2006
Lives for gear

You can try out Reaper before you buy a license...

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

But there must be a way to consolidate files within Vegas as well....
zenkonami
5th August 2006
Old 5th August 2006
Gear nut

I hope there is, and I've spent a lot of time looking, but I haven't found one. Also, Sony's tech support isn't sure what I'm talking about (I didn't think it was that obscure a concept.)

With any luck someone on gearslutz will have run into a similar problem and discovered Vegas' "Bounce Individual Tracks" function, or something similar. Your wisdom is appreciated on the matter, though. I am looking at AAFs, which to be honest I wasn't even aware of before you mentioned them. Learning something new!

-Zen
6th August 2006
Old 6th August 2006
Gear nut

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search