Alicias Keys vs. Addictive Keys
shanabit
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Alicias Keys vs. Addictive Keys

Anyone have both of these to compare? I just picked up Addictive Keys Studio Grand which sounds pretty good and am wondering if the Alicias keys would be a good compliment to it?
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

I own both they sound very different and Addicitive has a lot more features in it than Alicia's Keys. That said I hardly use Alicia's Keys since I got Addictive.
shanabit
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

So Im guessing Addictive is sitting well in the mix? Im really liking it so far. It seems to have way more body to it than a lot of the ones Ive listened to. I can always roll off the low end. I thought Alicias would be good as well since its the Yamaha variety

Thanks
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

I have and use both, Addictive Keys is my goto now.
I especially love the quick mic placement switching. It seems to sit in my mixes very easily so I'm happy.
I was having occasional problem's with Alicia's Keys crashing Logic which always puts me off a product quickly. So far Addictive has been solid.
Here's a track with Addictive in use if anyone wants some context - https://soundcloud.com/thedomus/slig...tended-reprise
Strings - Spitfire Solo & LASS.
Cheers
Dom
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear addict

Own both.

Addictive all the way. You have full EQ, nice interface, different mic selections and placements, saturation, noise emulation, effects, stereo controls. Way beyond NI set. Lots more vibes.

But most importantly, it feels and sounds more realistic. Natural at all velocities. Check out Old Meditation and Retro Stereo presets in the upright collection. These are ready to drop into a recording without tweaking.

Cool company to support.
shanabit
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Dom, nice piece!
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Alicia's Keys is a joke. People claim it's for pop music, but it's far too dull and muddy for that.
shanabit
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Think I may get the Addictive Keys Studio upgrade for the Upright and Mark 1
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
www.KevWestBeats.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Think I may get the Addictive Keys Studio upgrade for the Upright and Mark 1
To me the Mark 1 is the best part of the plug in. I love Electric Pianos though. I hope they have a Clavinet and a Wurli too as expansions. I beta tested Addictive and it has been my go to piano since May.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

48 key version of AK is free- addictive drums looks enticing too, they claim it comes with thousands of beats.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Dom, nice piece!
Thanks & Happy New Year!
...ooh my head!
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

I dont have Addictive Keys, but I love Alicias keys.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Alicia's Keys is a joke. People claim it's for pop music, but it's far too dull and muddy for that.
There's an internal resonant peak (or 2) that you can hear clearly once you've isolated it - I have that permanently notched out and that darkness/muddiness that's so un-Yamaha c3 is cleared.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear addict

This post made me go check out the audio examples on their webpage (XLN).

Wow!

When did this come out?

I totally missed the boat on this one.

I NEED this!

Last edited by Tha Govna; 2nd January 2013 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Addition
Tui
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Tui
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Govna View Post
Wow!

When did this come out?

I totally missed the boat on this one.
Me too. I don't recall reading a single word about. Clearly, a case of GS fail!
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
www.KevWestBeats.com

There was a few threads on it on different areas of GearSlutz. Its been out for 4 or 5 months
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
There's an internal resonant peak (or 2) that you can hear clearly once you've isolated it - I have that permanently notched out and that darkness/muddiness that's so un-Yamaha c3 is cleared.
could you share which frequencies those are?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
could you share which frequencies those are?
There's a big one at around 238 - once you boost it to hear it and then go back to flat, you can hear it moving around as you play. I have a permanent notch filtering that out in one of my channel presets.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
You gotta Eq alicias keys but it sounds pretty great. In fact for pop you gotta eq and compress all the time I reckon. If alicias is dull then eq more!
I have addictive keys as well and mainly use the upright which I love.
Addictive has way more creative potential right within the interface.
I really think both are great but go with addictive as you get 3 pianos and lots of cool fx and they are a cool company.

Sent from my GT-N7105T
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer View Post
You gotta Eq alicias keys but it sounds pretty great. In fact for pop you gotta eq and compress all the time I reckon. If alicias is dull then eq more!
I have addictive keys as well and mainly use the upright which I love.
Addictive has way more creative potential right within the interface.
I really think both are great but go with addictive as you get 3 pianos and lots of cool fx and they are a cool company.

Sent from my GT-N7105T
Agreed, eq and compression in my channel presets.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

i have some issue with uneven volume on some addictive keys

i think its the studio grand, you could clearly see on the waveform some notes are clearly louder than others, at the same velocity
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear interested

Not so impressed with the Addictive demo on the website. It reminds me of the piano sound we were all hoping we could evolve from a decade or two ago. I have been a fan of an eq'd Alicia's, not perfect, yet it has a delightful mojo.
But I haven't touched it since I bought NI's "The Giant". It was on sale and I thought what the heck. At first I thought it sounded like a giant toy, impossibly huge. Then I realized it played like the 12 foot Steinway I played some years back. The notes will really deliver an amazing fortissimo more than any sample I'd heard, yet, the pianissimo is so delicate and musical. I thought I would just play it as a guilty pleasure until I put it in a mix. Amazing. What pokes through are exactly the elements and nuances from a piano I'm looking for in the mix (after rolling off some bottom). It comes through strong, clear and musical, but not overbearing. I am so surprised. The Giant is my go to piano. I have no idea why it's still under the radar except that some may be initially put off by how huge it sounds. It reminds me of a Bugatti Veyron, you want to know what you're doing before you get in it. Likewise, this piano will give you everything you want and more, just make sure you know how to drive it.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I LOVE NI Alicia Keys. It's just soo well programmed and really feels like a piano.

Other pianos Ive tried I've always been aware of playing a soft-synth. But when I started playing with Alicia it felt like I was playing a piano, playability, velocity response etc is an important factor to me & the Alicia piano just has that special mojo about it, I could play with Alicia for hours (ahem). The tweakability is excellent too, pedal noises sound great, different positions again sound great, even the convolution reverb it comes with sounds great!. Considering the price compared to others its a bargain too.

First day I got it I recorded this short little piano piece, no eq, comp or anything else used, just straight out of Alicia.

Tui
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Tui
Lives for gear
I have both. They're quite different. Addictive Keys is probably easier to fit into a wide range of genres. Alicia is more intimate, though, more "real".
Tui
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Tui
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post

First day I got it I recorded this short little piano piece, no eq, comp or anything else used, just straight out of Alicia.

Very nice!

Oh, and it does sound as if someone is playing a piano.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
www.KevWestBeats.com

Quote:
I LOVE NI Alicia Keys. It's just soo well programmed and really feels like a piano.

Other pianos Ive tried I've always been aware of playing a soft-synth. But when I started playing with Alicia it felt like I was playing a piano, playability, velocity response etc is an important factor to me & the Alicia piano just has that special mojo about it, I could play with Alicia for hours (ahem). The tweakability is excellent too, pedal noises sound great, different positions again sound great, even the convolution reverb it comes with sounds great!. Considering the price compared to others its a bargain too.

Nice.
shanabit
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:

nice job!!!

i think the best advice comes from an individual that can "actually" play the piano... instead of one that just "owns" the product... it kind of begs the question... if you cant play... how do you really know how good the product is?

with that said... i think an individual that can "actually" play the piano can make them both products sound nice... if you can twinkle the keys... you can twinkle the keys...

worst sounding piano sounds... Native Instruments akoustic piano...

26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Sample Junkie

have AK, wish I'd spent the £££ on ADK (have demo, love the sound) - but personally, Pianoteq is the way forward for me.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search