New Computer Build for PT10 - Opinions?
TreeProg
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

New Computer Build for PT10 - Opinions?

I am building a pc from scratch for the sole purpose of audio recording using Pro Tools 10 and any plug-ins I decide to get along the way.

Here is a list of currently selected components:

Case: Rosewill R5
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3))
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache
DVD Burner: Asus DRW-B1ST 24X
Wireless Network Card: Asus PCE-N15

I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers I plan on using for a bit until I get this set up and decide what I need. I know I'll need to get some decent studio monitors soon, as well as a larger monitor (the visual kind) because my current one is a bit small for the way I need it set up. If anyone has recommendations for these items, I would love to hear them.

I have an extra HDD I plan on using as well. I can't remember the specs for it, and it is in storage due to a recent change in residence. It is my understanding that it is best to separate your recording sessions and samples onto another HDD, thus the 2 HDDs. The WD black is going to be the music one because I'm sure it is better than the one I already own. I have been thinking about the possibility of getting an SSD, but I think I should wait until I would get better use of it (when I start sampling a lot more), and the price might drop further.

I'm not sure if it would be worth the money to get Windows 7 Professional. The only thing I might use is the ability to have more memory, but it's not like I'm recording a symphony or anything.

My primary objective is to have minimal latency and noise from the computer itself. I will be recording basic rock band stuff: guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, vocals.

I haven't built a computer (or even upgraded one) in about 7 years, so I'm fairly stupid about all of this. Any opinions, approvals, disapprovals, or insults are welcome!
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Wireless NIC cards are not a good idea as they have a habit of screwing with DPC and thus introducing clicks and pops among other things.

I would try it and see but if you are getting DPC spikes, the wireless card would be the first thing I removed.
TreeProg
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the heads up. A wired connection isn't possible for the room this computer will be in, so let's hope it works!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search