Installing Pro Tools 8 on Windows 8
Old 28th December 2012
Gear nut

Installing Pro Tools 8 on Windows 8

So I finally purchased Windows 8 after about a year of running the developers preview. I hacked the .NET framework in the dev preview in order to install Pro Tools. It was a process that was much more involved than that, but eventually it worked. Fortunately, it was much simpler with the full release including all of the bells and whistles working in the OS.

- Yesterday I bought the full version of Win8 Pro and did a clean install onto one of my SSD's, which I highly recommend.

- I installed my copy of Pro Tools 8.0.0 that I backed up (thank god).

- *****Don't run the program yet! You will get errors!******

- I then installed my 8.0.5 update

Voila. That is it. It works beautifully. I don't know about 9.x or 10.x versions as I haven't upgraded to them. This is also how I installed Pro Tools on my dev preview, but it was a lot of changing the .Net framework and C++ redistributable packages. This install required none of that BS since it is the full version.

My plug-ins work fine as well.

Good luck! And don't fear Win 8, yet! I'm loving it, like McDonald's.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear nut

Oh yeah, don't boot up with your M-Box plugged in. Wait until Windows is running, otherwise you could possibly crash at sign in.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear interested

How did you successfully install Pro Tools 8? I'm trying right now and when a Windows pop-up asks if I want to allow Avid to install hardware drivers and I click allow, Windows 8 crashes and restarts.
Old 7th October 2013
Gear interested

Issue w/Pro Tools 8 on Windows 8

Hey folks -

I got Pro Tools LE 8 running on Windows 8 (finally), and now I can't record with it. I can play back audio and mix, but when I arm a track to record, the meter jumps up, clips, and then stays at the top of the yellow region.

When I check my recording options in control panel, the meter sits in the same spot. Changing input levels or mix on my Mbox doesn't do anything. The only way I've been able to record any audio to a track is by changing the input to a bus and recording preexisting audio out through the bus.

I made this video to show what is happening:
Pro Tools Issue (please help?) - YouTube

And since making that video I've set the inputs and outputs to their proper values and reset all of the I/O settings to their default. I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear interested

hi guys!

iv been trying to install Pro Tools 8 SE on windows 8 and errors keep popping up, im currently stuck on an error thats says '' please install the latest version of flash player to interent explorer '' i keep uninstalling and reinstalling the latest flash player but the same error still pops up! can anyone please help me out ?
Old 11th February 2014
Gear interested

Pro tools 8 interface

Hi there! I have just bought an AKAI EIE 24 bit pro interface after using an mbox mini for almost two years, and today i have installed the cds that came with it and all the other stuff, but pro tools 8 (my current one) is asking me to connect digidesign mbox, and it wont recognize the new interface! I have read that the akai is compatible with any software workstation! After that i connected it with my mbox to try to change the set ups into my new interface, as it was the only way pro tools would run, but even so, pro tools wouldnt allow me to change into my new interface it just wont recognize it! Must i reinstall pro tool 8 and choose my main interface the AKAI EIE PRO, or is there another way around?

Please help me out guys, id be much appreciated!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Head

Hi Andre,

Unfortunately, Pro Tools 8 WON'T work without DIgidesign-Avid hardware, you need to upgrade to Pro Tools 9 which is the unlocked version that will allow you to use it with whatever interface you like.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search