New Reply
Subscribe
dreamyguy
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Question SOLVED - MIDI Setup between EWI 4000S & Kontakt 5

Hi folks,

I'm having some problems setting up Kontakt 5 against my EWI 4000S wind MIDI controller. I've never done a pure MIDI setup so I don't really know if the fault is at Kontakt, the EWI or the MIDI interface.

My setup is as follows:

EWI 4000s > MIDI Out > Neusonik uMIDI/O22 Interface > Kontakt 5 (Factory Library, any wind instrument). I'm on OSX 10.7.5 (latest Lion) and my sound output is set as Apogee Duet 2.

Right now I'm just trying to use the standalone Kontakt 5, but I'd eventually like to use it as a plugin on Logic 9. I'm getting some sound out, but it's intermittent and "out-of-control". Sometimes it doesn't even come out.

As far as I know Kontakt 5 accepts the various expressive MIDI signals that the EWI 4000S sends out through its MIDI OUT, and according to Neusonik uMIDI/O22's product description it's suppose to handle EWI 4000S' MIDI output.

I'm sure it's all about the MIDI configuration, but I've spent a few hours trying to figure it out. Any idea of what I could be doing wrong? Any help is highly appreciated!

Last edited by dreamyguy; 30th December 2012 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: solved
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

One thing that might help you confirm the midi side of your setup is the Midi Monitor script built into Kontakt. I found out about this very handy debug tool from the NI website.
you can run the midi monitor script from inside any Kontakt instrument setup page from the Script Editor -> Preset -> Utility drop down menu.
http://http://www.native-instruments...ad.php?t=64168
dreamyguy
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Cheers for the reply evermindN, I'll keep it on my book!

I think this time the Neusonik uMIDI/O22 interface was to blame. I took my old Edirol UA-25EX interface out again, got a standard MIDI cable and used the MIDI in on the Edirol. Everything running as smooth as butter on fresh baked bread...

Too bad the Neusonik didn't deliver, it could be the EWI is just too demanding on an interface, sending several signals simultaneously. It could as well be one of the reasons why AKAI chose to create a USB-based EWI - it saves people without a good MIDI interface some headache.

I'll test the Neusonik on a keyboard and see if it lives up to at least some of its promises. As I said I'm very inexperienced with MIDI connections, but this time the problem was too obvious, even for me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search