Does anyone dislike VCC and VTM?
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

I like trigger a lot.

I dont like VCC (the only plugin that blue screens my computer and does not fullfill the marketing expectations), VTM doesn't sound like tape to me (same goes for the UA Studer) and FXG magically disappears a lot of times out of my plugin folder. And yes I went trough all the slate ticketing/no answer/it's not our problem troubleshooting.

I still sell slate products, personally I am very happy with trigger and the dragon compressor.

cheers

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear maniac

VCC is great, it's like voodoo magic for your mix. Just a subtle "makes everything better" plugin. I generally only use the Neve and API emulations, and almost always API on drums, Neve on everything else. I don't like the Neve model on drums at all, seems to make everything mushy and I'm constantly fighting to get the drums punchy enough.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Guru

I think "dislike" is too strong a word here. If you said "anyone who own's it but rarely uses it" I would have raised my hand. If you have mixes that are very sparce, your chance of liking it is greater. If you have busier or fatter mixes, or track thru an analog front end, or mix thru an analog back end inserted on the 2 buss, then your feelings might be like henge's below. I agree with him completely. I'll still use it on occasion, but I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. There are other simpler and more effective ways to mix IMO.

The color quote is my doing, because that's exactly how I feel about things.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Used to use VCC on everything now it's barely used at all!!
Seems to cloud up my mixes. Now I might use the neve here and there if something needs that particular type of girth (love that word !) but I find it easier to mix without it.
If you LIKE cloudy mixes though - and many seem to - then it's your ticket to freedom!!
lxm
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
lxm
Gear maniac

What gain settings are you guys using for VCC? Just curious. I find about +3 is just right. LOVE the neve and ssl

For VTM how much input do you find yourself liking?
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

The thing that impresses me most about VCC is the way I can maintain great clarity in the all important mid band yet still get that analog emulated warmth to a mix.

VCC still remains for me an essential plugin for my ITB mixes that are using VI drums, keyboards and often bass.

If you tracking all real instruments and mixing hybrid then I can see VCC being less useful.

VTM and the UAD tape emulation plugins have never been an FX I've found pleasing.
rem
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
rem
Gear Head

I agree, it clouds up my mixes too...

VCC and VTM bring harshness to the top-end.

Get a Sony mdr-7506 or any headphone with a pronounced treble response and listen carefully to the high-end whilst activating/bypassing the plugin (VCC or VTM).
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

So far I've only mixed 2 tracks with VTM. I like it but still trying to figure out the best way to use it. I don't like what it does to my Moog Minitaur bass but everything else sounds great.

I don't have VCC, only the cheap RC-Tube. I like it, mixes seem to come together easier.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear addict

I bought VCC on cyber Monday and it runs well with my pt10 Win7 rig and I like it better than other con emus, but now that I'm demoing VTM it chokes my CPU badly (i7 920, soon to be upgraded if this is any indication of it running into the wall) ... creates all sorts of audio hash. Dunno if it's fighting with some other plug or what. Quite frankly I like the UAD atr102 way better and even the Variety of Sound "Ferric" plug which I had sorta blown off. Probly will end up with the UAD end of year sale on the Ampex plug instead.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

I still really like VCC. Adds some subtle analog flavor.

Sent from my MB855
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

I mix with the vcc. Takes 2 mins to set up. I use different boards depending on the song. Dense metal mixes aren't great for using the neve with for example.

I use the vtm a bit more sparsely. I always put it on the 2buss. It really gives my material I mix a 'jump out of the speakers' sound when I a/b it.

I don't really use the vtm on all tracks because it clouds things up if they are busy. I use it for dirty fx moreso on basic tracks. Crank it and saturate something.

I think the reason the vtm doesn't work for me on individual tracks is because I count on the clarity of digital... As do my clients. I want things to gel, but if a plugin makes it tougher to clear out space or mud then I don't use it.

Great tool but not for all mixes.
Gee
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gee
Gear addict

I go through instances when I dig it and sometimes I feel it's not helping the mix at all.

But I will say it's a cool plugin that I do t regret buying
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

I bought it b/cos i thought i ought to (GS hype & what not)
I struggled to get to an easy workflow place with it.. + a lot of the stuff i do is smashed bits ITB so all this "it really adds a subtle analog flavour" was/is lost on my mixes ..so as it stands it never really gets used in my studio ..
But that's not to say it's not a good plugin ,I'm sure there's a lot of guys who find it really useful , it's just not for me
RiF
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

After demoing VCC and VTM, I had mixed feelings. What I remember about VCC is, that I found the Neve setting way too hyped in the highend while the SSL had been too subtle.
VTM did not remind of what I personally like and remember of tape. Same with Waves KMT (which I already own). But I have to admit that my experience comes from 1/4" R2R, 1/2" 8-track, Teac/Tascam 1" 16/24 track and a lot of cassette tape. Not the machines VTM is modelled after.
I went for a Tascam 644 and 688 instead and could not be happier. listen to the files files here to understand why: Cassette 4 tracks- which one sounds best to you?
rem
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
rem
Gear Head

I did the test this week. I was not happy with a mix I did with VCC and VTM. It sounded not "natural" to my ears. I started back from scratch without any slate digital plugin and the result was much better. More separation, more clarity, more dynamic, less harshness and less saturation. I was very disappointed since I paid almost 400 euros for these plugins.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
I'm really tempted because the pair can be had for just $195 right now. Seems like a pretty killer deal since they are normally 2 bones each. Have you guys seen the price this low before?

Sent from my slutzapp.
They were 145$ last month.
jcoutu1
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
They were 145$ last month.
The pair was $145?

Sent from my slutzapp.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

VTM is good, but you have to be careful not to accidentally overload an instance as it can give some nasty distortion. I really like the 16-track version of the plugin on every track. I can live without it though.

I personally dislike the master version of VTM. Every time I try it I then compensate for most of what it does with EQs untill I end up resetting everything and removing VTM from the master. I might try it again if I ever have to do a classic rock track, but for now it stays off.

I found VCC to be best when used as a normal console, no fidgeting with any additional 'drive' controls. Just make sure you calibrate the plugin, hit each channel and the master with the right amount of gain and it will give you magic.
You have to take care setting up each channel though. VCC is not a 'slap on and go' type of plugin.

(On a sidenote: The very first time I put NLS on a yet to be mixed project the stereo image got considerably narrower... No NLS for me.)
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

desk emu's will be best when they are built into your DAW channel strip ,a bit like what reason/harrison have done ...but you'll be able to choose between different desks or no desk ,they should be desecrate as not to interrupt work flow just like a real desk
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

For people that use both VCC and VTM : where do you put them in the track fx chain?
VTM as first plugin? VCC at the very end? Or the other way around?

Peter.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
For people that use both VCC and VTM : where do you put them in the track fx chain?
VTM as first plugin? VCC at the very end? Or the other way around?

Peter.
Vtm then vcc for me, as if I'd tracked to tape. Reverse order on mixbuss as it would be in a real console/tape situ.

I don't find anything "not natural" about the slate plugs. I'm yet to use the pair together on a final mix though - will be in the next few weeks. Vcc definitely improves my mixes.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Vtm then vcc for me, as if I'd tracked to tape.
That seems the most logical indeed.

Do you put other plugins (eq, compressor,...) between them or after VCC?

Thanks,
Peter.
Jus
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
The pair was $145?

Sent from my slutzapp.
The bundle was 145 for a couple of hours at plugindiscounts.com. And I got it. But I have not found much use to these yet; I seem to get better results with Nebula consoles and tapes. More musical high-end, more 3d. I might be wrong but one has to trust one's ears...
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

If u mix completely ITB like I do then VCC makes perfect sense, but if you mix through a console I can see how it might be unnecessary. Personally I've never had any clarity issues with VCC but the VTM kinda disappointed me. Granted I DID simply put it on a preexisting mix (replacing the UAD plugs) so maybe I should give it another go. My general impression was that there was nothing there that I couldn't achieve with the UAD machines but when I get some time I'd like to mix into it so that I get a better feel for it. Looking back I might have been a bit hasty. I'd never been let down by any of Slate's plugs before
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Never heard of anybody who would not like these plugins
Haha! I'm a big fan of both as well. Use both on every mix I do at this point.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

iLok is a big minus for those products..
jcoutu1
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
I agree. It basically raises the price by $50 for me.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
If u mix completely ITB like I do then VCC makes perfect sense, but if you mix through a console I can see how it might be unnecessary. Personally I've never had any clarity issues with VCC but the VTM kinda disappointed me. Granted I DID simply put it on a preexisting mix (replacing the UAD plugs) so maybe I should give it another go. My general impression was that there was nothing there that I couldn't achieve with the UAD machines but when I get some time I'd like to mix into it so that I get a better feel for it. Looking back I might have been a bit hasty. I'd never been let down by any of Slate's plugs before
Yeah, try starting a mix from scratch with them (on the master buss too). makes a big difference. VTM is a CPU hog so I've been running audio suite versions after I set them all up.

To another question, I run VTM-> VCC-> all other plugs. VCC on every channel and buss
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Agree. It's the only thing stopping me from buying them.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBarnes21 View Post
Yeah, try starting a mix from scratch with them (on the master buss too). makes a big difference. VTM is a CPU hog so I've been running audio suite versions after I set them all up.

To another question, I run VTM-> VCC-> all other plugs. VCC on every channel and buss
That's pretty much how I run the Studer on my tracks but on the mixbuss the Ampex goes after VCC. And yes ilok just sucks but having acces to Slate, UBK and others made me overcome my hatred for it
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

I would ask of those who don't like VCC...or "own it but don't use it"...you're not actually running it at 44/48khz withut oversampling, now are you?

I recently hit a CPU wall on a mix, and I know the way to cut the CPU useage in half is turn off the oversampling (temporarily)...I did, and sat in dismay at what the mix sounded like without it. I couldn't freeze other things fast enough to get it turned back on.

Anyway, he's said that to do over he wouldn't include the ability to NOT use oversampling...which is why there's no ability in VTM (it IS upsampling whether you want it to or not)...just, you know--tip. Turn it on. Kiss your CPU goodbye.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search