New Reply
Subscribe
Kyleseglin
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

UA Apollo.. Routing help??

Hi peoples

I just got a ua apollo-- had an apogee ensemble-- getting used to the apollo set up now. Question is-- on my ensemble it just had a simple set of outputs 1-8, and I'd use 1-2 as stereo out and plugged my monitors into there. Ok. Now, the apollo has a designated monitor output-- out L and out R. Logic interprets out L-R to be out 1-2. So when I'm mixing, if I want to use the actual outputs 1-8, it's offset-- meaning if I send out to output 1-2 logic is interpreting that as output 3-4.. Which is annoying and confusing to deal with really interrupts workflow. How do I fix this???
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

You can't. It's up to UA to do so, but no one has heard anything about it so far. The next major Apollo update should include quite a few new features, so hopefully this will be one of them.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Head

It is annoying, or more likely confusing.

In Logic, under options-audio-i/o labels. Here you can type in any label you want for each input and output. Logic will then display its own number along with your label.

Not perfect, but it works and takes away the confusion.
Kyleseglin
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Ah. Ok. Well, I'm glad at least it's not just me ha. That's so annoying. I'm going to try the I/O labels and see how that goes.. Frustrating.
Kyleseglin
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Another question for apollo users-- I can't seem to be able to shut off monitoring through console?? I have to mute the track in logic, thereby muting monitoring via logic... But that's also annoying.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Use the console to monitor your live inputs with no latency. Jute mute the channels you dont want to listen to when not recording. If you use Logic, you will utilize the buffer cache and have latency. No need to use software monitoring anymore really. You might be better posting any more questions in the main Apollo thread too.
Kyleseglin
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
Use the console to monitor your live inputs with no latency. Jute mute the channels you dont want to listen to when not recording. If you use Logic, you will utilize the buffer cache and have latency. No need to use software monitoring anymore really. You might be better posting any more questions in the main Apollo thread too.
Oh, I didn't know there was a main apollo thread-- Ill look for that.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Guru

There is a mute button above every channel in Console.
That works for me.
However, I mostly leave Console unmuted and kill monitoring in my DAW instead.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
There is a mute button above every channel in Console.
That works for me.
However, I mostly leave Console unmuted and kill monitoring in my DAW instead.
Yeah that could work. It's nice monitoring through console and all, but I like monitoring through logic. You kill monitoring in your daw by muting the channels?
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
Yeah that could work. It's nice monitoring through console and all, but I like monitoring through logic. You kill monitoring in your daw by muting the channels?
Depends on the daw as to how the monitoring is enabled.

Have you always used DAW monitoring and so are unsure about the process of doing it via the Apollo itself? Apart from using certain plugins (guitar amp sims) or VI's, there is no benefit from DAW monitoring. You incure latency and cannot track through any plugins such as the UAD. Even if you dont want to monitor through plugins, you are still having extra latency when you use Logic for no reason, and this becomes a nightmare when your buffer is set high when heavy mixing. Apollo (and virtually all decent interfaces) get around this problem through near-zero latency hardware based monitoring, like in the days of analog.
Kyleseglin
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends on the daw as to how the monitoring is enabled.

Have you always used DAW monitoring and so are unsure about the process of doing it via the Apollo itself? Apart from using certain plugins (guitar amp sims) or VI's, there is no benefit from DAW monitoring. You incure latency and cannot track through any plugins such as the UAD. Even if you dont want to monitor through plugins, you are still having extra latency when you use Logic for no reason, and this becomes a nightmare when your buffer is set high when heavy mixing. Apollo (and virtually all decent interfaces) get around this problem through near-zero latency hardware based monitoring, like in the days of analog.
Yeah I've just always monitored through logic. It just seemed annoying to mute each track in logic in order to monitor through console. For mixing and all especially
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Aren't there separate controls for record enable and monitor for each track in Logic? I would have thought you could simply record enable a track but just not hit the monitor button. I know Cubase is like this, but Pro Tools has a single linked record/monitor button as one, which means you do indeed have to mute the track for recording (unless you have HD). Its simple enough to use however.

Not sure what you mean regarding mixing though? If your done recording, you dont need to monitor anything, whether it be through Logic or Apollo console. If you were referring to overdubbing more tracks whilst you were in the middle of a mixing session, then good luck trying to get a low enough buffer size to monitor with. If you use the fully compensated Console feature, you can keep your buffer at full all the time, and still get lower latency than if you had it at 32 samples.

As i said before, you really shouldn't be wanting to monitor through any DAW unless you have to for certain applications. The benefits of near zero latency monitoring are a welcome addition to virtually any studio owner that records their own sound from an external source. You have an exceptionally low latency firewire 800 soundcard with some of the best quality uad plugins on the market; use it!
Kyleseglin
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aren't there separate controls for record enable and monitor for each track in Logic? I would have thought you could simply record enable a track but just not hit the monitor button. I know Cubase is like this, but Pro Tools has a single linked record/monitor button as one, which means you do indeed have to mute the track for recording (unless you have HD). Its simple enough to use however.

Not sure what you mean regarding mixing though? If your done recording, you dont need to monitor anything, whether it be through Logic or Apollo console. If you were referring to overdubbing more tracks whilst you were in the middle of a mixing session, then good luck trying to get a low enough buffer size to monitor with. If you use the fully compensated Console feature, you can keep your buffer at full all the time, and still get lower latency than if you had it at 32 samples.

As i said before, you really shouldn't be wanting to monitor through any DAW unless you have to for certain applications. The benefits of near zero latency monitoring are a welcome addition to virtually any studio owner that records their own sound from an external source. You have an exceptionally low latency firewire 800 soundcard with some of the best quality uad plugins on the market; use it!
You're making a lot of sense. Haha I get it cool yeah it's one button for monitor/record enable in logic but seems like muting the tracks is the best way to go. Thanks man
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

No problem. You should get on just fine

Apparently there is a preference in Logic to turn off software monitoring, so you wont hear the DAW monitor at all when record enabling, so you wont have to mute anything, just hit record as normal. Of course, be aware to mute or drop the volume of the fader in the console if you are using your speakers so you dont get a horrible feedback loop. If you make a habit of doing it, it becomes sub-conscious. Nothing worse that destroying your speakers! It may take you a few hours to figure out how to setup your headphone mixes and stuff, but its fairly easy once you get the hang of it. I tend to go onto the HP1/HP2 for recording, then switch to MON to listen back, but you could use the main (large) MON faders and simply mute your speakers whilst recording too.

The main Apollo thread is in So much gear so little... Loads of info in there.
Kyleseglin
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem. You should get on just fine

Apparently there is a preference in Logic to turn off software monitoring, so you wont hear the DAW monitor at all when record enabling, so you wont have to mute anything, just hit record as normal. Of course, be aware to mute or drop the volume of the fader in the console if you are using your speakers so you dont get a horrible feedback loop. If you make a habit of doing it, it becomes sub-conscious. Nothing worse that destroying your speakers! It may take you a few hours to figure out how to setup your headphone mixes and stuff, but its fairly easy once you get the hang of it. I tend to go onto the HP1/HP2 for recording, then switch to MON to listen back, but you could use the main (large) MON faders and simply mute your speakers whilst recording too.

The main Apollo thread is in So much gear so little... Loads of info in there.
That apollo thread is very long with alot of its content related to A/Bs of interfaces and pres, but informative nonetheless. One more question as I'm trying to understand this unit to its fullest-- if I'm mixing and I throw plugs on a channel in the console.. And I put plugs on the channel in logic.. How do they affect each other?

Figured out how to disable monitoring in logic and I'm really liking monitoring with console
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Head

When at the point of mixing, I wouldn't use plugs in the UA console. Just use them in Logic.
Kyleseglin
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelopennell View Post
When at the point of mixing, I wouldn't use plugs in the UA console. Just use them in Logic.
Yeah that's what I do I was just wondering how they affect each other if you put plugs in console and logic on the same channel
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

I want to use Apollo as sole ADAT converter, this is, sending digital audio from ADAT input to analogue outputs 1-8... There is no choice to set the ADAT digital input to ANALOGUE outputs, is there?

I can only use 2 analogue outputs, feeding a pair of auxes on the ADAT faders of UAD console, and setting those auxes to analogue outputs... they could add 8 auxes to the UAD console, or give the choice to set the output on every channel...

I post this question here, cause is also a rounting problem with Apollo.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleseglin View Post
Yeah that's what I do I was just wondering how they affect each other if you put plugs in console and logic on the same channel
Once you are mixing, if you stay in the box, no mix audio will be routed through the Apollo console. Plugs in the Apollo console won't be heard in your mix.

The console is for adding low latency monitor fx while recording and for recording through plug ins.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecuencializer View Post
I want to use Apollo as sole ADAT converter, this is, sending digital audio from ADAT input to analogue outputs 1-8... There is no choice to set the ADAT digital input to ANALOGUE outputs, is there?

I can only use 2 analogue outputs, feeding a pair of auxes on the ADAT faders of UAD console, and setting those auxes to analogue outputs... they could add 8 auxes to the UAD console, or give the choice to set the output on every channel...

I post this question here, cause is also a rounting problem with Apollo.
Routing in the Apollo console is limited. Hopefully UA will expand the routing capability in a future update.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

yes, actually I´ve open a support ticket to ask about that... 2000$ interface should be more flexible than one that costs half that price... RME, Motu, etc.

Since Apollo has integrated DSP processing capability, four nice preamps, good converters... it´s a very nice all-in-one sollution... i don´t understand why it ´s so limited in the rounting options...

More Auxes or at least give the choice in the mixer to set an output for each input in the top of the channel or above the fader...

The problem is that i cannot wait until they fix that... don´t know what to do... crappy ADA8000 for a while, maybe...
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe I'm missing something but how do you route to patch in an outboard comp with the apollo pres is this possible
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

yeah why routing audio is so bad in the apollo, i had a motu 828 mk3, and though it was not as good as the apollo you could route audio anywhere possible.

also not loving that the 4 mic inputs, the 2 hi-z inputs, and the first 4 line inputs they all share the same channels in the console. so if you have your bass on the 1 Hi-z and a mic on the 1 mic input the would go on the same channel in the console, really annoying. ...it's like wow, i thought i had 14 analog inputs but actually are only 8.. lame, or is it me that haven't found a way to work this out?

also, you cant bypass the preamps,... and still waiting for mac 64 bit, if anyone knows how to bypass the preamps let me know.

nevertheless im happy with it.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgefilemon View Post
if anyone knows how to bypass the preamps let me know.
Use inputs 5 to 8.
Also I've tested 1 and 2 with no gain, and it sounds the same as the line inputs.

It's an 8 channel interface effectively. It has more options than many other interfaces, but you can't engage all options at once, no. You have a choice of 8 line ins on record, or up to 4 mic/pre's and at least four line ins or whatever you have left.

--------------
I route audio out to hardware and back in all the time.
Kyleseglin
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Use inputs 5 to 8.
Also I've tested 1 and 2 with no gain, and it sounds the same as the line inputs.

It's an 8 channel interface effectively. It has more options than many other interfaces, but you can't engage all options at once, no. You have a choice of 8 line ins on record, or up to 4 mic/pre's and at least four line ins or whatever you have left.

--------------
I route audio out to hardware and back in all the time.
How do you route it so you're using an apollo pre and then hitting a hardware compressor and then back into apollo?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Guru

My Apollo individual outs (8) are permanently wired to my patchbay.
I send out of any output, and go to outboard, or my modular synthesizer, then back in on any input (again via patchbay).
Kyleseglin
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone ever have any issue with monitoring volume through console? Like that it's not loud enough compared to the rest of the song in logic?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search