Does the perfect songwriting app for iPad exist?
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Head

Does the perfect songwriting app for iPad exist?

Hey all. I've recently begun trying to use my iPad as a songwriting/demo tool. I've got an interface to plug my guitar in, and have loaded Garageband which I am semi-familiar with (I use Logic Pro for real production). What I want to do with the iPad is just sketch out tunes (rock songs, mostly) as demos for the rest of the band. I don't want nor need to be able to make professional sounding recordings with it. I simply want to be able to convey the basic feel, arrangement, and dynamics of a song to my fellow musicians.
My biggest issue I am having so far is with drums. Seems I either use one of the very limited selection of loops that come with GB, or I program the entire track by hand in the sequencer. I'm no good at being a drummer even with a real kit, and I certainly can't tap something useful out on an iPad with my fingers. Ideally, what I would like to do is have a good selection of drum loops that I can use as a starting point, and then edit them in the midi sequencer to fit the specifics of the song. Seems with GB for iPad the loops are all audio files, and so therefor can't be edited in midi.
Is there a better app for this? A better drum sequencer that can be loaded as some sort of plugin? Or a better library of loops that can be edited in midi?
Basically, I want to be able to get demos down quick with a minimal amount of drum programming, but still convey the sounds in my brain. Thanks!
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

The Smart Drums generates MIDI when you record it; perhaps you can find a pattern that is close to what you want, and then edit slightly from there, instead of starting from scratch? There's also DrumtrackHD, which allows precise pattern-based editing of drums as well. I'll have to check today; I know you can import loops to GB, but I am not sure if that includes MIDI loops as well as audio. If you can, you could get a Drum MIDI library and go crazy with it. GB for iOS is a great compositional tool for on the go, and since it imports into Logic, it is even more handy.

I'd keep an eye on AudioBus-compliant stuff as well. It's a new app that allows interconnecting of audio apps, kind of like a Rewire for iOS. If it gains traction, it'll be huge for mobile audio stuff, IMO.
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Head

Thanks Polaris. I have tried playing with the smart drums a bit, and it seems pretty random as far as what comes out. I'll keep messing with it though. I'll also look into DrumTrackHD and the like. Thinking maybe I sequence a beat in a slightly better sequencer, then import into GB? I guess it is just going to take some experimentation.
Old 11th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chille01 View Post
Thanks Polaris. I have tried playing with the smart drums a bit, and it seems pretty random as far as what comes out. I'll keep messing with it though. I'll also look into DrumTrackHD and the like. Thinking maybe I sequence a beat in a slightly better sequencer, then import into GB? I guess it is just going to take some experimentation.
I'll try and check DrumtrackHD tonight, but I'm pretty sure you can program in there, then audio copy/paste into GB.
Old 12th December 2012
Gear maniac

Confirmed. You can program many different patterns in DrumtrackHD, arrange them in any sequence you want, then copy/paste them in as an audio file. Works great. AudioBus would be better, but it'll take time for devs to adopt it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search