Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Waves SSL vs McDSP Analog Channel? (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/79321-waves-ssl-vs-mcdsp-analog-channel.html)

88fingerz 27th July 2006 03:49 PM

Waves SSL vs McDSP Analog Channel?

It's been 3 years now that I've been the satisfied owner of the McDsp AC 1 & 2. I'm now interested in finding out about the SSL plugs and if it would indeed be a step up in analog emulation land.

Would the SSL replace the AC plugs as far as individual tracks go?

Also I belive one of AC's model consoles IS an SSL....does it compete with the Wave's version?

I'm also using the Wave's Masters bundle with good reults, but am willing to give the SSL plugs a go on the master buss in their place.

So the question is: Anyone working with both at any point to make a fair comparison?

Thanks!

P.s. I had trouble downloading the Waves SSL demo so I turn to the friendly Slut board for opinions.

jdjustice 27th July 2006 05:18 PM

I don't really think you can compare these two products.

The Waves SSL bundle DOES have "analog" emulation buttons on each of its three plug-ins, but the SSL bundle is MUCH MORE than an analog-emulation tool.

It is the best plug-in purchase I have made next to my Sony Oxford Limiter IMO. The sound is really incredible. I have used the McDSP Analog Channel extensively. I would say that the options for sound sculpting and sheer sonic bliss are tenfold greater with the SSL bundle. Get it if you can; you probably will not regret it one bit; it's worth the money IMO.

I don't know if this helps answer your question, but demo the SSL if you can and you will be hooked!

Cheers,

J.D.

keithl 28th July 2006 06:50 AM

I agree

I own both
Analog Channel
Waves SSL
and the Sony Oxford 6 pack.
(also have others, filterbank, some URS, DUY, etc..)

I just started mixing my new cd with my new pc and all my plugin purchases. I can EASILY agree that the waves ssl package offers so much in terms of flexibility.

I also smiled when I read the post above about the oxford limiter....
I put that thing on and had a big ol' smile on my face!

SSL and Sony are my go to plugs now.

88fingerz 28th July 2006 07:15 AM

Thanks for that! Interesting!

Steve Singh 30th July 2006 10:23 PM

which one

I'm having the same dillema. McDSP native pack (Filterbank, Compressorbank, MCS2000, and Anolog Channel) vs. SSL Waves BUNDLE. I can only afford one right now and I'm leaning towards the McDSP pack. The analog channel and eq's are supposed to be great. I have and track everything through a Groove Tubes Vipre and a UA 1176 LN but I want to soften things up a bit more with the Anolog Channel across the master bus. What's going to soften and round out more? The SSL master compresor or the Analog Channel?
Steve

Bob Olhsson 30th July 2006 11:46 PM

I'd get the SSL...

proxy 31st July 2006 12:57 AM

I demoed the SSL stuff on Sunday, and bought them on Wed...

AND, I find WUP to be a great deterrant to doing business with Waves, but, they're bringing the goods, so....

I won't be selling my Analog Channel because it does different stuff. I also have the Masters Bundle and they are not overlapping at all with the SSL bundle.

If I had none of those and had to rebuy them, I'd get the SSL stuff and go from there.

Yes, and Sony rocks too!

- proxy

88fingerz 31st July 2006 03:17 AM

I bought the Wave's SSL. Wont be able to use it until next week. I'd be glad to report back.

Steve Singh 2nd August 2006 02:50 PM

I bought the Waves SSL. So far, so good. I'm glad I chose them over the McDSP stuff.
Steve

DaveC 3rd August 2006 12:21 AM

So anyone had the chance to compare the Waves-SSL plugs with the SSL-Duende?
I'm so curious about the difference between 'em!boing

Contra 2nd January 2007 08:28 AM

am also about to purchase the SSL plugs myself.
but the Oxford Limiter?!?!?! OMG!!!!

beautiful on the master bus of everymix.

xmostynx 31st March 2007 09:38 PM

i'm so glad i found this post..

i'm really happy with the SSL eq, over all of the MCDSP eq's i have.

I think the MC2000 MC2 plug compliments the SSL eq.

this is the first session i get to mix with them so i'm testing/learning

and i have to say..the SSLeq makes me feel like i'm turning knobs on the console at work...the MCDSP is very gentle the SSL seems like 3dB of 300 cut is a solid 3dB...its also very 'musical' it sounds nice..not digital!!

kfhkh kfhkh happy i got these and my new computer! gooof

JPF 2nd April 2007 12:49 AM

i really dug Mcdsp's AC 2 on my drum subs,being able to "dial in" sweet spot w/bump and roll off, however bought the Le version and it's lame, just pre- sets w/ no other controls besides input/output level...would love to get a lesson on L3 useage though,i've been inserting on master fader w/ cd mastering pre-set and tweaking until i think it sounds good w/16 bit option..for some reason i'm more comfortable w/ PSp's vintage warmer's controls and seem to have better luck w/ it as an insert on master before bounce dwn..i'm going to check out the ssl demo though thnx-JP

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.