Closed
Subscribe
Antonis2007
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgaudio View Post
mmmm, I'm not saying it shouldn't be accessibale to people on a budget, but by it's very nature, the idea I had in mind would only appeal to someone looking to do dedicated music or post work. Some folk may have it on a dual boot so they can mess around with logic now & again, but, i think it would appeal to the pro/prosumer guys a lot. Something that could be run in EVERY studio, be it private, project or pro. A new standard for anyone wanting to seriously spend time with a DAW.
What about a system that it is infinitely customizable and expandable at will.

A system that we won't measure it's power by the amount of the cpu cores that it has but by the power of the Interconnection (1GbE, 10GbE, 20GbE, 40GbE or 100GbE). A system that composers would measure it's power by the amount of Orchestral instruments that can run in 'realtime' with full effects at 192kHz.

I remember Alan Meyerson (Hans Zimmer's lead mix engineer) talking about 'POC - At World's end' soundtrack and saying that it did not sound like music up until they ended up with 8 stems and they 'played' with the faders. To me, it sounded like:

"we ran out of power (both cpu and outboard) - we had to print the tracks, record an orchestra and then - revisit the project' and 'fix' the music."

What i want is a system that would not 'break' the creative process in 'steps'. If the composer want to work in steps is another thing...but this should be 'at will', it should be a creative choice and not an inadvisable event.

That is why i believe that full size symphonic orchestra is a solid starting point.

In the past we standardized the full size symphonic orchestra (which is a technological masterpiece like no other). It gave us the best sounding acoustic spaces on the planet, it gave us musical instrument technologies.
This created what we now call 'classical music' and it gave us Johann Sebastian Bach and Beethoven.

Now we will standardize a new 'tool' that has the potential to give us a new era of composers, engineers, developers and a new era of music.

The first system I am testing here at HPC Advisory Council should be up to this task:

It 'must' run in realtime the 100 symphonic instruments with 'enough polyphony' (on both top class sampler instruments and top class softsynths - the best we have today). It will have full effects on each stereo track (eq, compressor, delay, reverb, plus one random heavy effect) - all at 192khz full stereo. The effects and the synths would not be the cpu 'friendly' ones... they would be the VSTs that compete 'head to head' to the outboard equivalents. And then I will test it on full discrete surround music project. Because the 'real' orchestra is fully discrete surround for each instrument ! Then 384kHz is phase two of the research project!

For the 'end user' the 'level of customization' for a DAW like this would depend on the amount of hardware. But It will also depend on how the 3rd party developers 'react' at this research. It is impossible for one research project to change an entire industry - even with the support of HPC Advisory Council.

If people want to bring analogue qualities back, give infinite creative freedom to composers and songwriters and 'dream tools' to engineers, then... a 'change' will happen.

We shape our future.

We are so lucky that we are alive in this day and age.

Your input is more than valuable, It is necessary.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear addict

Quick contribution here:

Performance interface. Remove the barriers to full, sensitive, intimate gestural performative technique.

Jordan Rudess and Wizdom Music have, in my opinion, gone the furthest with this so far.

Reactable is also a useful innovation.

Audiobus is as important a new communications interface as MIDI was at its advent.

Max and Reaktor are brilliant, but need far more enablement for less technically-inclined musicians, to realize the flexibility they offer for a wider audience.

Oh: in case I didn't make myself clear yet: <G>: the instrument _is_ the DAW, in the future. There is no separation.

Oh! And to take this one step further: consider the instrument the DAW _and_ SoundCloud.... all rolled into one.

Consider online performances of the future to be a combination of streamed events with recordings, the mixing and tracking of which can take place collaboratively, with alternative takes, tracks, and rankings of all participants' contributions algorithmically generating variations of the initial take, based on segments of participants' interests being collated by marked preferences.

A "recording" in that context will be more like the aural equivalent of a Wikipedia entry than a final product of any sort.

Yeah: give us that. Thanks!

Best of luck!
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'd love a DAW with great input metering (shows clipping etc. good example is Pyramix), very simple graphics (e.g. like the old PT), low CPU usage, WITHOUT integrated saturation, EQ or dynamics, with ability to use presets for I/O when using it with a mixing console so you don't have to repatch every channel manually, posibility to have direct outs on the tracks so you can use the DAW as a virtual tape machine. It has to be able to synchronise to various time codes. A dedicated part of software for video playback that could be run on a separate machine synced over LAN would be also great.

It would be somehow great to have a DAW software that would be bootable. I mean that you wouldn't run it on Windows or Ubuntu or OS X, but it would be a dedicated platform capable of using standard audio interfaces. I think that this is would make a much more stabile DAW, because you'd avoid all the unnecessary parts of the OS.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear nut

1) A new OS that is scalable but at its core made for audio and video. Dont forget that Audio and Video are a marriage. Especially from the post audio POV. BeOS comes to mind. Emagic and Steinberg were onboard for that if you remember. But it needs to be an OS that 3rd party developers feel safe they can write for. Then we get choice of DAW and video NLE.

2) Networking using existing cat6 cabling is essential. We also need a way of authorizing and updating software plus colaborating accross the world but the local av network should be isolated (with a gateway to www) to maintain stability.

3) Low latency. Like what can be achieved with dsp. Again BeOS was close to that.

4) DSP farming via ethernet. We are all going to have older machines sitting around. I like to put them to use as farms for vst/au audio effects and vstis and to run dsp stuff like scope, nebula and uad. I'm a big fan of VEPro and similar concepts where only an ethernet interface is needed.

5) Network audio piping. This Introducing Dante Virtual Soundcard is already out there and available. Can it be encorporated? Or do we need to keep re-inventing the wheel. The community keeps floundering because a suitable protocol hasn't been picked up by all.

6) OSC and OSC to midi legacy compatability at the OS level.

7) Touch screen orientated. I agree that Win8 has the right direction but it needs to be refined for multiscreen pro use. Currently DVI/USB KVM matrixes are overly expensive. I've just been devising a way of screen switching using multiple cheaper ir controlled KVMs and girder controlled by an android tablet. The ability to have one machine running the new OS thats job is to pull all the dvi/hdmi screens, midi, osc, dmx, usb devices together into one multitouch environment using ethernet would be great. Using PIP and OSD selection, cheap android tablets, hotkeys and midi controllers.

Keep the vision of a new OS Antonis, one that cant possibly fail like BeOS did. It seemed to get muscled out, litigated, bought and buried by apple/microsoft/palm. How can developers be re-assured it wont happen again?

Please dont base it on a new machine that will be unavoidably out of reach of most musicians. Lets face it, the money is drying up. Digital media and ownership is being devalued. Focusing on an OS that utilizes the machines we already have or can be put together from existing cheaply available hardware is the best way to make it a game changer.

The easy way out would be to make a new machine with it's own OS. I feel it wont last because it will eventually become proprietry based. The ultimate more difficult goal is to consolidate protocols and codecs, plugin standards and import export formats to work on existing hardware and to muscle in on the goliaths with a new av based open sourced OS.

Peace.
Antonis2007
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post

2) Networking

3) Low latency.

4) DSP farming via ethernet.

5) Network audio piping.

2) - Yes ! we are into that 100% - This research on HPC Advisory Council is based on the most advanced (and lowest latency) interconnection system on the planet.

3) well, very - very low Latency !

4) Dedicated dsp can always be an added value to any native system. I am into MANY chips - true analogue qualities and advanced UIs.
It is time for a quantum leap.

5) my main research focus is not on 'Live shows' - I research on technologies that can recharge creativity in music production.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Btw, by the 'daw' do you mean? The sequencer program? The computer hardware? Computer os/platform ?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

He means everything from the actual computer, software, os. We have very few details if they plan to run it within Mac or Windows or Linux. The best bet is linux.

It will be a network for sure, a system with no limits meaning if you buy the machine and find yourself hitting the max you can buy another and use the power from both. You could even buy a DSP add on card but I think that will come down to a 3rd party. It'll be a server for musicians who no limits, just the ability to keep on adding as far as your wallet will let you.

It's safe to say it will be open source.

Maybe I'm wrong, that's how I'm understanding it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonis2007 View Post
What would you want from it?

Time to dream bigger.
What I would want is what the SunRize Studio 16 plus Bars and Pipes on the Amiga 3000 would have evolved into had things turned out differently. That is if Ben Fuller had not died so young, if Commodore had not been masters of anti-marketing and short sightedness (discontinuing the 3000 for example), if Motorola had continued to develop the 680xx CPU, and if Microsoft had not bought Blue Ribbon Soundworks (the developers of Bars and Pipes). All the pieces were there and it ran glitch-free on a 25 MHz clock.

best.

john
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
... The best bet is linux.

It's safe to say it will be open source.

Probably not. The open GNU license is not at all popular with the manufacturers of high end soundcards. Has your favorite card opened its proprietary secrets?

As for a real-time OS, remember QNX?
Quote:
On April 9, 2010, Research In Motion announced they would acquire QNX Software Systems from Harman International Industries.[6] On the same day, QNX source code access was restricted.
Good luck to the OP, but do know that tech is not the limiting factor. IP and trade secrets are likely to be far greater obstacles.

best,

john
Antonis2007
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear maniac

Governing Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabney View Post
Probably not. The open GNU license is not at all popular with the manufacturers of high end soundcards. Has your favorite card opened its proprietary secrets?

As for a real-time OS, remember QNX?

Good luck to the OP, but do know that tech is not the limiting factor. IP and trade secrets are likely to be far greater obstacles.

best,

john
Thank you John !

I also thank you for the mini history flashback! The philosophy behind my approach is based on the true history of music production and discovering details like the ones you talk about is always an added value !

The way i see it, music technology includes everything from arranging style, composition style, instruments used, acoustics, recording and reproduction tools, post processing tools. So building the most advanced daw on the planet has to take in account all those things !

I believe that in order to move forward we have to use the best - from the best - and not reinvent the wheel. If a 'solution' can not take advantage of the work of other people and build into that in order to move forward then... it is not 'advanced' and it has no future.

We should take the John Nash equilibrium very seriously !

I ask this question myself every single day; 'do you understand music enough?'
because if i don't - how can i build tools for music. and i ask the same thing about technology; what is technology? what it includes?

Is arranging and mixing - part of technology? yes!
is mixing or post processing part of composition? yes it can be !

It seems that everything about music is the same set of rules - the way we describe it is what makes the difference between a good mixing engineer and a good composer or an arranger.

Hans Zimmer include his sound designer on the score credits. why? because an effect can be music !

In order for me to understand the fundamentals of technology and music production i had to go back to their ancient Greeks and their technologies - visit Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus.
There you can find - the minimum set of rules that you need to create a controlled environment ! Open air, rocks and geometry !

Then move to the symphonic orchestra technologies and visit wiener-symphoniker.
This is a more advanced approach. The key point of the technology behind it is not the acoustics - nor the instrument technology ! Even above the arrangment and the composition...It is the conductor. A real time Central Processing Unit (CPU).

Then to jazz and the included technology (realtime composition manipulation - something like parallel processing technologies), then to music created with sequencers, then goto hybrids of digital and analogue (a transaction period) and arrive to the future - I think we move from the 'a hybrid digital era' to the 'virtual era'.

This is a world of trade secrets. In order to innovate we need to find an idea that expands the vision of 'trade secret holders' and 'end users' at the same time. A win win approach !

HPC is the platform that we can grow and become better in what we do as individuals !
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

I don't have idea about this and please help me for this topic really understand..
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Minimalist GUI with key features simply key commands .

The Midi of Cubase
The audio of Pro Tools

A browser section on the side like ableton or fl studio.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

i do like the fairchild approach for audio and video. what i'm missing in regards of VIs and sequencing is a far better organization. those zillions of windows to open, close, open close every day. it's just silly.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Head

Windows based computers are constantly getting faster and better.

What is the difference between your idea and a really fast and powerful windows based system?

As far as music goes, I feel like having a compelling musical idea is more important than even the most powerful daw.
Antonis2007
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpert View Post
Windows based computers are constantly getting faster and better.

What is the difference between your idea and a really fast and powerful windows based system?

As far as music goes, I feel like having a compelling musical idea is more important than even the most powerful daw.
Having ideas is always (and will always be) more important than having tools. But, when tools can enable creativity, by expanding what's possible, you get something else. please read me other posts and you will discover more details about it. more will follow - so keep your questions coming !

Comparing an 'HPC system' to a 'personal computer system' is like comparing a fully operational aircraft carrier weaponized with 30 F-22 ... to a single F-22.
You can run a war with the first one.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

So is this going to be an audio-based OS? In theory it sounds like a cool-idea, but the giant hurdle is support, for both h/w and s/w.

It's the reason Linux didn't take over the desktop.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
So is this going to be an audio-based OS? In theory it sounds like a cool-idea, but the giant hurdle is support, for both h/w and s/w.

It's the reason Linux didn't take over the desktop.
Yeah you'd have to get all of (at least some of) the hardware and software makers to support this audio-based OS. I think if windows keeps improving, and computers keep getting more powerful as they have been, that you might not need an operating system specifically for audio. Just better hardware, and better software that runs on what it already runs on.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Having ideas is always (and will always be) more important than having tools. But, when tools can enable creativity, by expanding what's possible, you get something else. please read me other posts and you will discover more details about it. more will follow - so keep your questions coming !

Comparing an 'HPC system' to a 'personal computer system' is like comparing a fully operational aircraft carrier weaponized with 30 F-22 ... to a single F-22.
You can run a war with the first one.
But if you have one single F-22 loaded with a nuclear bomb, you can blow up a city, and maybe end up destroying the world.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear addict

For me the advancement of the current digital realm is in sample rate.

The closer we can get to the infinite rate of the analogue realm the more we can progress sonically, no longer concerned with emulation but innovation, potentially leading to better sounding and infinitely more advanced devices than the analogue world.

Of course this would take an awful amount of both processing and sample rate, with software designed accordingly, but it is in the foreseeable future. If anybody could bring this to us sooner then it would be beyond words.

The concern i would have is of music production going backwards in terms of who can afford to participate, as im a fan of the digital world giving a platform to musical/engineering talent who would of perhaps had no avenue to take previously.
If there is to be an 'elite' system as good as proposed, i imagine many developers would abandon current technologies to design for this system, probably destroying PC/MAC based production, leaving many artists in the dust. Although thats difficult to say and in my glancing read of this thread perhaps i haven't grasped the concept entirely.

But regardless, im all for progress in the digital world.
Antonis2007
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedme View Post
For me the advancement of the current digital realm is in sample rate.

The closer we can get to the infinite rate of the analogue realm the more we can progress sonically, no longer concerned with emulation but innovation, potentially leading to better sounding and infinitely more advanced devices than the analogue world.

Of course this would take an awful amount of both processing and sample rate, with software designed accordingly, but it is in the foreseeable future. If anybody could bring this to us sooner then it would be beyond words.

The concern i would have is of music production going backwards in terms of who can afford to participate, as im a fan of the digital world giving a platform to musical/engineering talent who would of perhaps had no avenue to take previously.
If there is to be an 'elite' system as good as proposed, i imagine many developers would abandon current technologies to design for this system, probably destroying PC/MAC based production, leaving many artists in the dust. Although thats difficult to say and in my glancing read of this thread perhaps i haven't grasped the concept entirely.

But regardless, im all for progress in the digital world.

You are very close to it ! Going for true analogue qualities is very important.
Changing the 'vocabulary' and 'mindset' is more important. HPC offer this new avenue you said ! I like to think about it as something beyond 'the more than 30 years old' digital age and the 'set of rules' it has - it is the virtual age ! Most digital tools we have (hardware and VST/VSTi) can not take full advantage of this virtual age. But they will serve as transition tools because some of them are truly remarkable tools ! Those are the ones i will suggest for utilizing an HPC system. But this research won't end soon - so developers can come up with 'crazy' tools ! The point is to communicate the fact that HPC is here to stay and move things forward for good.

Quote:
But if you have one single F-22 loaded with a nuclear bomb, you can blow up a city, and maybe end up destroying the world.
Is that how much desperate users can become with a 'personal computer' (load a fighter with nukes and destroy civilization)? My fear is that this creates an 'ecosystem' where few other people believe that the most important thing is to create some 'nukes for sale'. Then we all experience 'terrorists attack'. people make 'plastic' music, listeners become deaf because they push volume up trying to get some definition out of it and other people are trying to find old 60s and 70s analogue hardware just to get some 'feel' back in the game! to me this is just 'The sound of anarchy'.
That's why it's time to move away from this 'one f-22' approach. My HPCmusic research is about peace and the power of the Alliances in order to create a better future for all ! We should create our 'nuclear deterrent' and move forward.

Do not worry about h/w and s/w capabilities. The beauty of it is that it can work with 'anything' - we have to keep it Open !! I believe that it is open by it's nature and that no-one will try to 'block' evolution. I hope that humanity and industry moved forward from 'buying' software companies in order to 'create exclusivity' inside a platform - proved by Sad facts that this approach do not have a sustainable future. It created enormous pressure to the people who try it and the market. and the outcome might be few so called 'best products' but in the long run it moves things backwards !
We need a sustainable future.. not on papers but in reality ! I believe we can have it !

If the user want it 'rock stead' can work with advanced operating systems - if he can afford 'crashes' and has time to 'experiment and maintain' -he can use less advanced OS. same think goes with the hardware.

We work with fully professional 'military graded' solutions and at the same time simple bedroom studio setups.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

This is quite an undertaking! But it's about time someone tried to turn the industry in a new direction.

Lets talk about GUIs: I feel that we have to completely forget about the hardware paradigms all of our DAWs subscribe to currently. Hardware has its necessary limitations which have no place in a virtual environment. For example most Daws have a meter and fader next to each other. Why? Why can't the fader BE the meter too? Virtual mixer GUIs do not need to be hard-patterned to hardware ones.

I'd like to be able to call up a sub-group and have the GUI show me just the elements of a mixer that are part of the subgroup: everything else disappears. Mixer configuration should be completely fluid and up to the user, complete with many quick access presets. There's a lot of things that DON'T need to be all seen at the same time. (Actually some of the new stuff in Cubase 7 is starting to look a bit like this.) You could have "rotating" panels for the different functions (sends, effects, etc) and choose what to see on each channel. The idea of a "popup" window with larger view of the controls when controls are accessed would make it easier to maintain a compact overall size but allow comfortable fine tuning. The whole point is simply to make the GUI adaptive to us, rather than the other way round.

Another aspect of current GUI limitations is in editing notes in either notation or block view. A 3D view of concurrent tracks would make it so much easier to edit concurrent tracks of an arrangement. This could look like a 3D super-imposition of tracks with editing possible on the front track with an easy way to flip through them, something like Aero Flip. In the case of interpreted display (as in notation), controls allowing for quick modification of the interpretation parameters should be immediately accessible to the user, not buried in a submenu.

Let's talk about time: why must there be one tempo for all tracks in a project? Time should be fluid and adaptive to whatever we need to do. Not everyone does traditional music; we have to stop thinking of audio production in traditional musical terms and consider ALL facets of audio production. I've always been surprised how some programs don't fare so well when they have to deal with anything outside of a typical 3-5 minute 4/4 pop song, as if that's all they were tested with...

Let's talk about precision: another thing I've noticed is that complexity often doesn't scale well. Automation and control should not only be sample accurate but should also be able to scale to huge complex multi-hour projects without issues.

These are a few ideas I've had. Hopefully they'll have sex with other ideas...

BTW, as a composer, I personally don't like it when a machine tries to interpret my intentions. I've seen some posts mentioning this kind of meddling and I think it's dangerous: I consider anything that tries to "guide" the creative process a handicap. If anything in that direction is every implemented, a global OFF switch would be required.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
You are very close to it ! Going for true analogue qualities is very important.
Changing the 'vocabulary' and 'mindset' is more important. HPC offer this new avenue you said ! I like to think about it as something beyond 'the more than 30 years old' digital age and the 'set of rules' it has - it is the virtual age ! Most digital tools we have (hardware and VST/VSTi) can not take full advantage of this virtual age. But they will serve as transition tools because some of them are truly remarkable tools ! Those are the ones i will suggest for utilizing an HPC system. But this research won't end soon - so developers can come up with 'crazy' tools ! The point is to communicate the fact that HPC is here to stay and move things forward for good.

Is that how much desperate users can become with a 'personal computer' (load a fighter with nukes and destroy civilization)? My fear is that this creates an 'ecosystem' where few other people believe that the most important thing is to create some 'nukes for sale'. Then we all experience 'terrorists attack'. people make 'plastic' music, listeners become deaf because they push volume up trying to get some definition out of it and other people are trying to find old 60s and 70s analogue hardware just to get some 'feel' back in the game! to me this is just 'The sound of anarchy'.
That's why it's time to move away from this 'one f-22' approach. My HPCmusic research is about peace and the power of the Alliances in order to create a better future for all ! We should create our 'nuclear deterrent' and move forward.

Do not worry about h/w and s/w capabilities. The beauty of it is that it can work with 'anything' - we have to keep it Open !! I believe that it is open by it's nature and that no-one will try to 'block' evolution. I hope that humanity and industry moved forward from 'buying' software companies in order to 'create exclusivity' inside a platform - proved by Sad facts that this approach do not have a sustainable future. It created enormous pressure to the people who try it and the market. and the outcome might be few so called 'best products' but in the long run it moves things backwards !
We need a sustainable future.. not on papers but in reality ! I believe we can have it !

If the user want it 'rock stead' can work with advanced operating systems - if he can afford 'crashes' and has time to 'experiment and maintain' -he can use less advanced OS. same think goes with the hardware.

We work with fully professional 'military graded' solutions and simple bedroom studio setups.
How would a simple bedroom setup, that is just as powerful as a, 'military graded' solution, cause people to make plastic music? I think the one F-22 approach is a very cool one, not that it has to be the only one.
Antonis2007
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
How would a simple bedroom setup, that is just as powerful as a, 'military graded' solution, cause people to make plastic music? I think the one F-22 approach is a very cool one, not that it has to be the only one.
If to you 'cool' works, then you are a happy man.
I never said that a simple bedroom setup is as powerful as a supercomputer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone View Post
This is quite an undertaking! But it's about time someone tried to turn the industry in a new direction.

From your Excellent post Mr. Undertone - and from every other 'inspiring' post in this forum - and from all the companies which support this research via supporting HPC Advisory Council HPC Advisory Council - Members - I should say this:

We can definitely turn things to a new direction !

------------------------------------
This is for Her. This is for Music.
This is for the people who love Music.
For Her family and for ALL of her friends.
This is for the people who stay very late at night and fight for Her future.
This is for all the kids who dream a better future while listening to a song.
-----------------------------------

Music is the most 'dense' form of art.
The only Art that can describe the entire balance of the universe in few minutes and make every person on the planet 'feel it'.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:

And at the end of the day - every time I see one of my favorite composers or songwriters working with some old and rusty analogue tool - i can't help myself but think:

'my God, we are still in the 70s'

Do not get me wrong - We won't put aside the tools that work in order to become 'bullies' with 'new cool toys'.
Have you ever really clicked with 'hybrid' or 'non-computer based' ways of working to say that?

Lack of access to sophisticated new technologies is hardly an issue here. Access to the skill, drive and motivation to research, seek out, use and master existing new tools, processes and workflow techniques is the real issue here.

I have no technological constraints, the computer will convert my 5.6mhz DSD streams, so sound quality is not a problem.

I've spent the last 5 years building a 60 module 5u modular synth, and have been using computers for music since atari cubase in the early 90s, now using a 6 core i7 with 30" monitor and Reaper and Nebula on the PC Lex PCM and Relab480L sounds amazing. Couldn't be more satisfied. Kyma capybara is looped back through the modular, deeeeep.

I have hand built hardware klee, m185, and silent way voltage sequencers with creative control i could only dream of plus cloned hardware cs80, polivoks, prophet 5 filters, cv to midi convertors to control vsts using my modular,

Check out tools like zyklus improvisor, lemur/twisted tools scapes, Harmony Navigator, Oberheim cyclone (!), Konkreet Performer

Next purchase is a GSR24 as new a front end.

I am astounded by the creative possibilities on offer - what are we lacking?

You should dive into Reaper a bit, the customisation available will likely allow you to realise your ideas.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonis2007

And at the end of the day - every time I see one of my favorite composers or songwriters working with some old and rusty analogue tool - i can't help myself but think:

'my God, we are still in the 70s'

Do not get me wrong - We won't put aside the tools that work in order to become 'bullies' with 'new cool toys'.
Have you ever really clicked with 'hybrid' or 'non-computer based' ways of working to say that?

Lack of access to sophisticated new technologies is hardly an issue here. Access to the skill, drive and motivation to research, seek out, use and master existing new tools, processes and workflow techniques is the real issue here.

I have no technological constraints, the computer will convert my 5.6mhz DSD streams, so sound quality is not a problem.

I've spent the last 5 years building a 60 module 5u modular synth, and have been using computers for music since atari cubase in the early 90s, now using a 6 core i7 with 30" monitor and Reaper and Nebula on the PC Lex PCM and Relab480L sounds amazing. Couldn't be more satisfied. Kyma capybara is looped back through the modular, deeeeep.

I have hand built hardware klee, m185, and silent way voltage sequencers with creative control i could only dream of plus cloned hardware cs80, polivoks, prophet 5 filters, cv to midi convertors to control vsts using my modular,

Check out tools like zyklus improvisor, lemur/twisted tools scapes, Harmony Navigator, Oberheim cyclone (!), Konkreet Performer

Next purchase is a GSR24 as new a front end.

I am astounded by the creative possibilities on offer - what are we lacking?

You should dive into Reaper a bit, the customisation available will likely allow you to realise your ideas.
SMH

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
CEO - Z-Shift LLC

Interesting thoughts...
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
drake.ch

A complete, considered, and thorough understanding of all audio, midi clock, latency and syncronisation issues.

Rock solid no compromise audio and midi performance from the very beginning.

Imagine working at studer and taking apart the best tape machine ever and completely rebuilding the motors from scratch with no compromise components.

Make it run and "feel" like hardware.

Should be one step further from the pro tools system. The advantage of PT is that audio can hit the cards and be processed and sent right back out without hitting the computer motherboard or cpu at all.

Something that can really challenge or compete with that.

All other things like os considerations or gui etc are secondary.

Maybe not even make a daw? Imagine just doing the hardwork in thorough open audio architecture which is then made available to people who want to make a daw.

Imagine making the competitor to the pro tools card, but doesn't require extra special hardware, which is open, then give that to the devs who want to make a daw and choose which os etc.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gratificatius Auralis

More object oriented functionality. If I had "pet" routines that I liked to do on auidio, jut like in reality where I use the same box for alot of function. Well...make that an object sitting on the desktop where those functions are routinized and I just drag and drop onto a song or piece of audio to have those functions rapidly done. Take a functional metaphors from hands on audio and make the deeply bound function within the OS, that's the only reason we'd need a dedicated OS, the more deeply mimic the things we most commonly do an make it happen quickly, not total amount of tracks and execution speed, although we can easily use more speed, it's integrated functionality that's going to make us leaps and bounds more effective. We need parrallet metaphors instead of linear single things in looking at this. We are so linear when it comes to computers, but highy parrallel and functionally integrated in reality.
Antonis2007
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdrake View Post

Make it run and "feel" like hardware.
I know what you mean. by design; it has that 'feel' and more !

It is hardware.
And
It is software.

What I will do is give a detailed description of the systems and sugest a way of use of the technology. A 'best practice' approach - plus sugest some
powerful software to run it.

This way, people will come up with more and more amazing ideas ! And this will bring a new level of innovation !

A High Performance Computing system is about creative freedom. It is hardware and software at it's most advanced form.

If the end user want to use a specific 'DAW software' with an HPC system, it should be possible. I am not excluding any of them.
I am going the opposite direction; i hope that software developers will love this new world and the possibilities that come with it.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search