Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Music Computers (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/)
-   -   Upgrading from mbox 2 to either apollo duo or quad (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/792452-upgrading-mbox-2-either-apollo-duo-quad.html)

blazerunnerstl 6th December 2012 09:52 PM

Upgrading from mbox 2 to either apollo duo or quad

I'm about to finally upgrade from my mbox 2 to an apollo duo or quad. I'm interested in what you all think about the duo vs the quad. I'm not completely sure how many ua plugins I'll be running at once. Right now, I usually run )zone 5 and PSP vintage warmer 2 on my master bus, and I do use the urs n-12 eq from time to time to eq guitars. Other than that I'm usually running a lot of kontakt instances, a lot of Guitar Rig 5 instances, and 1 or 2 instances of Superior Drummer. I mainly do music for commercials (indie rock stuff and post-rock stuff) and also epic trailer/action music, with my home studio set-up. I actually was leaning towards the Ensemble or Fireface 800 until I looked into the Apollo, and am pretty much set on the Apollo at this point because I'm a fan of UA's gear and have heard it in action (the 4-710d to be specific).

Other info that might be helpful: I'm slowly building a set-up for live drums over the next year (which means I'll hopefully phase out Superior Drummer for the most part). I'll start with a 4 mic set-up using the Apollo. I'm still sticking with Guitar Rig 5 since I'm pretty satisfied and I am on a somewhat tight budget. I'm really excited to hear the Apollo pre-amps with my guitars since I know they are miles ahead of the mbox 2 preamps.

I guess overall what I'm asking is: With what I'm usually working on and my workflow, will I be happy with the apollo duo, or will I run into problems? I'll be using it every day and all the time, and I really do hope to keep this interface for the next 5-10 years and expand on it with a lunchbox and other pro gear.

Thanks for your time, I know $2000 might not be a lot to some people to drop on gear, but it's a big investment for me so I appreciate any input

conflict151 7th December 2012 05:55 PM

Apollo

Im sure the Apollo will be a great addition. Seeing as how you use Native Instruments and CPU intensive software instruments, you're system will benefit from not having to process the plugins from UAD. It comes with great stock preamps and conversion, so I'm sure its something that will last you for a long while. I'm probably going the apollo route myself. Good Luck and happy purchasing

Billy Buck 7th December 2012 07:27 PM

I would definitely go for the Apollo QUAD. I had the same choice to make last Spring when I got my Apollo and I am glad I spent the little extra and got the QUAD. FYI, the Apollo Console app uses some of the available DSP. On a DUO you lose 10% while the QUAD (because of the extra DSP) the hit is only 5%.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Godchild 2nd February 2013 01:36 AM

I just got my Apollo Quad two days ago and its a great unit and i agree with Billy Buck if your going to get one you might as well get the Quad. in that it packs a lot of power, and you won't be worrying about running out of power when you start using plugs like studder and ampex right now this is my favorite piece of gear. go for it you won't be disappointed

Led Music 2nd February 2013 04:31 PM

I got a duo satellite and it barely runs any of the dsp intensive plugins .
Definitely go for the quad.
I saw a demo of the Apollo at NAMM and they had two quad apollos hooked up together and a separate 8 core processor card in a separate chassis all hooked up to a laptop.
It was crazy.