Login / Register

Cubase users: Why did you make the switch?
New Reply
Subscribe
Yttims
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

Cubase users: Why did you make the switch?

Hey guys, first post here...

I'm a composer about to graduate college, and I started out using DP and later switched to Logic Pro due to how efficient it is. But after a year of using Logic Pro and sometimes going back to DP, there are more than a few things that piss me off about both DAWs. Add to that my growing fascination with PC's (I recently built one to use as a secondary computer--trying to get rid of the term "slave"--running Vienna Ensemble Pro, and my results have been brilliant) and I'm really starting to drool over Cubase.

Now, I've only been in the serious sequencing game for a couple years now. I'd love to hear from more of the seasoned cats around here who have made the switch between DAWs multiple times and really have solid experience with many different ones on different platforms, especially regarding the pros and cons of Cubase. Specifically, what, for you, sets it apart from the other sequencers out there?

Thanks guys.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear addict

Started with Logic, switched to Cubase, switched again to my current DAW- Studio One. I liked Logic, but workflow was a lot faster with Cubase. Switched to Studio One because workflow is a lot faster than Cubase.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Started with Cubase on Atari ST (ask your dad, LOL...), then Cubase on Mac (never quite liked it), Digital Performer, Logic and then, when I switched to Windows, Sonar (first to be 64-bit, a good three years before any Mac DAW caught up) and then finally coming back full-circle to Cubase (which meanwhile had become the best DAW for composers, IMHO.) It's no coincidence that Hans Zimmer is a Cubase fanatic. Once you experience the power of Note Expression (especially useful for composers), you never go back...
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've been with Cubase since the 1.0 Mac version... I've strayed a couple of times, once to Reaper, and again to Ableton Live, but I keep coming back.

For me it's partly the familiarity; I know Cubase pretty well. But what always brings me back is the sheer number of things you can do with it. Sure I've got 3rd party plugins and instruments out the yang, but I could get by with only what comes in the Cubase box if I had to. I definitely couldn't say that about Live, and I haven't really checked in with Reaper since 2010, but at the time it wasn't enough for me either.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear addict

Switch? What switch?
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear maniac

cubase at the moment at least for me (after using Logic from ver.3,also cubase from v.1 Pro tools etc.)is the best production tool for composing ,producing a song from scratch to the end.and yes PC's are really tempting since Cubase works much better on PC.I use both mac and pc in my studio depends on a work (since sometimes I have to combine PT too in a production and PT likes more mac).
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to DAW PLUS
Not a cross-platform answer since we don't sell many Macs, but all but one composer customers we have use Cubase (usually with VEPro/MIR). The one other composer used Sonar (pre X1). Contrary to record/mix/electronic customers (where it balances well between 6 daws), it is very one-sided.

But popularity should never be the reason to make a choice. Just demo the product and try for yourself, you already have a Vienna eLicenser, correct?
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Been using Cubase since Cubase with 16 channels if midi on Apple Classic-2...then on PC..now on Mac..got Pt10 and Logic9 as I doubted myself, no doubts now. Back Rocking with Cubase and looking to advance more deeper.

For me it's always been great for midi for programming, initially weak
for audio, now rocks for audio, German geniuses nerds design this, funded and marketed by Japs..can't go wrong!!!
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

I used Creator/Atari Emagic PC/Mac for 20 years but after Apple bought Emagic and started to just dable with it as a platform .... I basically out grew Logic, it couldn't keep up with my development as a creative and audio engineer.

After Steiberg re-coded Nuendo and ported that new audio engine to Cubase I jumped on board at Cubase 4 for all tasks audio.

Turns out it was a smart move, life is too short for doing audio in Logic, and my productions and mixes have never sounded better (or earnt me more money) than they do since moving over to Cubase for audio (tracking, editing and mixing)

I still enjoy MIDI in Logic, but it looks like with the Cubase 7 release I'll be moving over to Cubase for everything I do inc MIDI.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
German geniuses nerds design this, funded and marketed by Japs..
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to SeniorityFedup Send a message via Yahoo to SeniorityFedup
Me and cubase arent talking at the moment. but i will say I love all the midi editing parameters in cubase. the audio editing parameters (exept audio quantizing which I haven't had a chance to use) are great.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Started on Music-x/Bars and Pipes (Amiga sequencers hooked up to first a Fostex 8 track tape!!? and then a Roland VS series Hard Disk/Mixer thing) moved fully ITB to PC with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9? I think around late 90s - then hopped over to Cubase VST (can't remember exact revision) just after VST was introduced as it had the best support for those fancy 'virtual synths' and 'virtual effects' that seemed quite a novelty at the time.... dabbled with Nuendo for a couple of years then fast forward came back/still on modern Cubase and wouldn't have it any other way
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Not a cross-platform answer since we don't sell many Macs, but all but one composer customers we have use Cubase (usually with VEPro/MIR). The one other composer used Sonar (pre X1). Contrary to record/mix/electronic customers (where it balances well between 6 daws), it is very one-sided.

But popularity should never be the reason to make a choice. Just demo the product and try for yourself, you already have a Vienna eLicenser, correct?
Yes I do! I honestly hadn't really thought of that/didn't know that was a thing. Thanks, I'll get right on that!
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_LPF View Post
How can you afford all those DAWs?
Very easy to buy DAWs used from other people and sell them again. I myself currently have PT 10 w/ CPTK, Logic 9, and Studio One v2.5 Professional. I've also owned Cubase 6.5 (for one weekend), Ableton Live, and Reason - sold those though. I like seeing what each is doing from a product standpoint though (call it professional curiosity).

Looking forward to trying out the Cubase 7 demo, but my previous experience with Cubase has left me underwhelmed (on OS X).
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very easy to buy DAWs used from other people and sell them again.
How exactly do you do this? what do you have to check for? beware of? get proof of?
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Head

Cubase with Mac since SX1 (2002) ... why change. Now using C6.5 ... works perfectly, and always has.

Not likely to upgrade to C7, because I don't see improvements that would really make my work easier or better.
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

Started out with Sequencer one on Atari then went to pc and got cubase, never looked back. Like it's work flow, I know how to use it, it's quirks, good points, bad points and feel comfortable with it.

These reasons are actually one of the reasons why I am holding back in upgrading to version 7...time will tell.

Have tried reaper which is not quite there yet for me personally.
Reason waste of time as I have a bulk of plugin licenses for vsts.
Fruity loops which I do not get on with.

So stayed with Cubase simples...
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

I started with Logic Platinum, couldn't make head or tail of it so switched to VST 5? The tutorial that came with it made it so easy to use. I upgraded for a while til I reached SX3, then last year upgraded to v6 which is miles better, plus I have the knowledge I gained from the previous incarnations. I'm actually working on an album as we speak and I've found C6 is great workflow-wise

DAW writers, get your tutorials right, it really helps.

The Dome of Clement now available: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#

Minimal Cheese: www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter
11th December 2012
Old 11th December 2012
Gear nut

The audio editor is notably better than in other DAWs -- you can do true offline FX processing (apply inserts as destructive audio edits; you can even do this in the arrangement page without opening the editor itself!!), and the editor window is pretty much a fully featured destructive audio editing program. Live doesn't have one at all; Logic and S1 have it, but it's a very basic affair and not all that pleasant to use in both cases -- in my experience. Whether this is meaningful to you really depends on your workflow. For doing 'micro-edits' to audio material, offline-effects processing is a must for me, and the majority of major DAWs don't feature it at all...except Cubase.
I actually do most all of my composition in Ableton, because for me as a songwriter, the Session View is un-equaled as a rapid-fire compositional workspace. But for more in-depth mixing and (again) audio editing, Cubase is the easy winner. If only they would add a bounce in place function........

12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Head

I'm a new user- have been on board since V6 after many years on Protools. There are some things that are pretty annoying (especially about the internal routing), but nonetheless, I'm happy with the transition and I feel that something about its workflow takes me to creative places I've never been before. There are lots of tools for midi mangling, and most of the time my performances are only the basis for totally deferent outcomes.

I consider the traditional division absolutely correct: Protools for recording and mixing, Cubase for composing in Midi environment (even though there tons of option for audio editing, I find Protools way more convenient for such tasks).

So, you have to set yourself what kind of jobs you are going to do on your DAW, and choose the right one accordingly.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search