New Reply
Subscribe
mahuska
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Slate VTM CPU Intensive?

nce I don't have an iLock I can't demo VTM. I have heard differing experiences
of it's usage and performance. CPU hit. For those that have FX Synth Squad or Diva, is it less than those plug-ins? I own and use DCAM Synth squad and demoed
Diva. Sometimes I am OK other times have to lower the Quality settings. I am
really considering buying VTM and would like opinions and experiences
from Forum members. I might consider Decapitor V4 and TB ReelBuss instead if the CPU requirements are high for VTM.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

I tried the demo was too CPU intensive. I had to give up quite a few other plug-ins just to run 2 instances of VTM on my I7 2.67 6 gig machine, so I didn't buy it.

I might try demoing again when I upgrade my machine, maybe.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

I use as many instances I want on my 2008 Mac Pro which is getting a little long in the tooth. I don't think it's too bad at all. I run logic.

http://www.associatedminds.com
http://www.twitter.com/ed_boogie
mahuska
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Well I don't have a real fast machine
Specs: Intel(R)Core (TM)i3 CPU 550 @3.20GHz which I read is a 3rd gen i3. 8 gigs of Ram Win 7 Home Premium
If I could get 3 or 4 instances and one on The Master Buss, I'd be happy.
If this machine won't cut it, then I wonder if I should approach this differently.
I just want to warm things up and make the mix and tracks punchier. Maybe a different type of plug like a console and a Warm colored compressor/EQ.
Most all my plugs are either free or at a very cheap cost. I was hoping to bump things up a notch.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
Well I don't have a real fast machine
Specs: Intel(R)Core (TM)i3 CPU 550 @3.20GHz which I read is a 3rd gen i3. 8 gigs of Ram Win 7 Home Premium
If I could get 3 or 4 instances and one on The Master Buss, I'd be happy.
If this machine won't cut it, then I wonder if I should approach this differently.
Compared to other plugins the VTM can be a bit if a resource hog, but I can normally squeeze about 5 or 6 instances, plus any mix processors, out of a 2.2 GHz Dual Centrino, 4GB ram, 32bit Win7 laptop. I'd expect to get at least the same, if not more, out of your machine. Have you tried increasing the latency on your interface when you mix?

Sometimes, on heavy mixes, I'll have to print tracks before clearing the channels and loading up VTM but, **** it, live on the edge! The VTM is worth the change in workflow. It's seriously good.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

On my PC I can only use 2-3 instances of VTM when running other plugins. I use Reaper so I just freeze/render the tracks to free up cpu.

It seems to work for me.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I use as many instances I want on my 2008 Mac Pro which is getting a little long in the tooth. I don't think it's too bad at all. I run logic.
As many as you want? Plus all the plug-ins you would usually use? Ok, if you say then I believe you. I can only go by my own experience of this plug-in. If I could have applied multiple instances without the harsh CPU taxing I would have bought it like a shot.

If I put one instance on the drum buss the CPU jumped.... another on the 2 bus and, it jumped again. I am presently demoing Steinberg's Dark Planet which is great but, same problem. And there are others too. You need a beast computer to run these plug-ins (IMO) while maintaining a normal work flow.

But like I say, I'll demo it again after my next build. My present I7 2.67, 6 gig RAM PC just isn't enough.

ETA: Personally I do not like printing tracks
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Turn off hiss auto mute. That one was a KILLER for me and I didn't realize it. Its very reasonable cpu wise for how great it sounds.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Turn off hiss auto mute. That one was a KILLER for me and I didn't realize it. Its very reasonable cpu wise for how great it sounds.
You mean you save CPU cycles if you leave the hiss on? I hate hiss. It's as much unwanted noise now as it was in the old days
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man View Post
You mean you save CPU cycles if you leave the hiss on? I hate hiss. It's as much unwanted noise now as it was in the old days
No, you can turn the hiss all the way down with the slider, and keep the auto hiss switch off.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
No, you can turn the hiss all the way down with the slider, and keep the auto hiss switch off.
So turning auto hiss on adds CPU grunt?
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

Actually that makes sense
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a similar computer (2008 2.8x8 Mac Pro) and I can pretty much do the same in Ableton Live - If I have to use more plugs then my cpu allows, it usually means the song sucks and I'm grasping at straws to hide things.

VTM is totally awesome, even just on the masterbuss, if you can't take a bigger cpu hit.

bring back thumbsup

Sincerely Yours,

Orion L. Paradis
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
I just want to warm things up and make the mix and tracks punchier.

WARMTH AND PUNCH ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

lol

You get "punch" by using clean sounds with very well defined transients.

Clean drums = punchy drums

You get "warmth" by smoothing/smearing transients and adding a little saturation and distortion. THIS REDUCES PUNCH, BY DEFINITION.

SOME OF US ARE READING TOO MANY "BUZZWORDS" AND ARE NOW EXPECTING THE WRONG THINGS

carry on
mahuska
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
WARMTH AND PUNCH ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

lol

You get "punch" by using clean sounds with very well defined transients.

Clean drums = punchy drums
You get "warmth" by smoothing/smearing transients and adding a little saturation and distortion. THIS REDUCES PUNCH, BY DEFINITION. SOME OF US ARE READING TOO MANY "BUZZWORDS" AND ARE NOW EXPECTING THE WRONG THINGS
carry on
OK I get the semantics however I wasn't necessarily expecting both from one plug, just the end result that may require several important go to plugs. However look what difference using VTM and changing tape types. machines and speeds etc and what it does to the mix and individual tracks . I see many use both VCC and Satson then go to VTM and what ever else. I just try to get by as best as I can. I usually do not need to process my Drums that much. I have Slate SSD 3.5 and 4. They usually cut through pretty good as is, but at times would like to try their "dry" kits and see what else I can do and there are times in the mix that even the processed kits need some love.. Vocals, Electric and Acoustic Grts. along with Bass are my main track concerns. SoftSynths, I just try and dial them in to taste. Then time for mixdown want everything glued together nicely. I've been told that my first run tracks and quick mix-downs to show other's my song ideas sound pretty good for being totally un-processed by any plug. I try and get things right going in.
After extensive research, reviews, clips and vids I have it in my mind that if I had and used VTM I may very well use less EQ and compression or at least approach how I may use settings differently. I would hate to have a mix with all the comps and EQ galore at my disposal then go back and re-do everything all over again. As far as comps and Eq's etc. I have either free or cheap plugs and am looking to upgrade in that area. If I can get some usage out of VTM
on some tracks, when I demo some of the above mentioned type of plugs I may buy different ones from where I stand now. I have been doing along of studying how to milk the best out of a plug-in type and believe pilot error is more responsible for a bad mix even using lower end software. I know the Basics of EQ and compression but am learning about parallel compression, side chaining and how to group tracks.
mahuska
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
I have a similar computer (2008 2.8x8 Mac Pro) and I can pretty much do the same in Ableton Live - If I have to use more plugs then my cpu allows, it usually means the song sucks and I'm grasping at straws to hide things.

VTM is totally awesome, even just on the masterbuss, if you can't take a bigger cpu hit.
Isn't Abelton a little CPU hungry? I use Cubase 5 but have a 60 day trial of Reaper which is more light on it's feet. At first I hated Reapers workflow, but I read the manual closely and learned how to customize it. With Cubase 7 coming out, I don't know if I will upgrade if my CPU takes too much of a hit. So CPU and workflow are what I look at. Sometimes one has to compromise one for the other.
I have the Akai version of Live 8 lite and thought I would try it as sometime
I don't always write in a linear fashion. Thanks for the reply
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

I had no issues with VTM on my relatively ancient C2Quad. At 44.1 (which means 88.2 internally). I wonder if the people getting a few instances on beefier machines are running 96k. I think in my original assessment I mentioned they need to either put an option to remove oversampling (which I agree with Steven shouldn't be the solution)...OR, have it auto deactivate when running natively at 88+. His objection to turning it off is relevant-says the model doesn't work well at low sample rates. Not surprising. Nothing works as well at 44.1. But, there's a problem if you record at 96k and it's going to run every instance at 192k, because it already has the sample rate the model "needs".

Anyway...I didn't have a 96k project on the desk at the time of my demo, but I decided not to buy it without one of those two options enabled in a point release. It sounds cool. I hope they hear that feedback and implement. It SHOULD take less CPU at 88 than 44 due to lack of resampling.
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Ditto on pro tools - but at 44.1/48 (but I disagree that nothing sounds good at 44.1!).

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same here. Early 2008 8 x 3.0 GHz.
Not sure what my maximum plugin count has been with VTM, but so far I can do mixes with VTM, VCC, an eq and a compressor on every track.
I have to add though that most of my EQs and compressors are calculated by my UAD quad and FW Duende (native version wouldn't authorize, go SSL!). So my mac handles many instances of samplers and software instruments, VTM and VCC and the occasional Native plugin (waves, izotope stuff etc.).
No problems so far.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to beechstudio
I LOVE the VTM plugin. One of my favs so far!
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I put a VTM and VCC on every submit channel, usually 10-12 of them. Plus I have a VCC, VTM and FG-X on the master bus. Works great for me.

Clever Sounds Recording
engineer, producer, composer
have bass, will travel...

------------------------------------------------------
nMP, Slate Raven MTi, Focal 6BE's, ProTools 11 native, ADL600, Focusrite 428, Dimedio, Obsidian, Distressor, BAC500, One LA, Serpent 4001, MAAG 2 EQ, Grace 501, Harrison 32EQ, etc.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search