RME multiface to UCX?
Yann Leon
13th November 2012
Old 13th November 2012
Gear maniac

Solved:RME multiface to UCX?

Hi all!

I own an old RME Multiface 1 and wondering if my "sound" would benefit from changing to RME UCX?

The specs mention :"... Equipped with a new 2011 A/D and D/A high-performance converter design all I/Os operate at up to 192 kHz. "

The problem I have actually, is that I can't record over 44.1khz. At 96khz everything sounds smoother, less harsh... but ASIO is going crasy. Cannot use it.

I wonder if changing the Multiface for the UCX I would be able to use the 96khz.... and then, have a better sound overall... which will affect the way I mix. (for better result of course)

But....it's pricey: 1, 650$. (in Montreal, Canada)

Well.... ... does it worth it?

Should I stay with the Multiface and focus (as usual) on improving my mixing skills?

Thanks!

PS: It reminds me when I began playing guitar.... in the first 3 years, I used a cheap epiphone and reached a plateau that I couldn't get over until I've bought a real good Gibson Guitar. Then, my improvement was beyond expectation. I wonder if it does the same with mixing.

PS2: My room is treated and own Focal CMS 50, and Senn HD800 headphone.
Yann Leon
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear maniac

For those who are curious about the difference...

Well, I'm glad I took the move and bought UCX.

First, the sound is more focused, clearer. Not that much... but enough to notice details I haven't heard before while listening to my preferred jazz /commercial reference album. ( Madeleine Peyroux, Careless Love) The dynamics and the space "3D" is just "wow".

Second, the phone preamp drives my HD800 way better. In fact, I have to lower the level in Total mix. The responsiveness of my headphone (bass, depth, hi) is enhanced.
The dynamics really shine.

Third, but not the least..... it has the same performance as the multiface. In fact, the output latency is faster by a few microseconds. (UCX = 3.075, Multiface = 4.124) at buffer 128. Computer / Asio usage = the same. So don't worry about the "usb 2.0" limits.

Finally, the new Total Mix is really cool and easy to use. (as the old Total mix but with more "fun" added to it, and gizmo like built-in FX)

I'll do test for the preamp section soon... and let you know my thoughts.

(I have a great river ... so it might be a good test as the UCX pres seems to be uncolored on specs.)

Later!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for this review Yann Leon. I need a new PT interface and these are the two at the top of my list.

The UCX makes better use of new technology, although I much prefer the layout of the Multiface... if only they had plans to make a multiface III But with both these units selling at the price (well, MFII + express card), i'm not sure it makes sense to buy the older design.

I can't understand why you'd put an on/off switch at the back of a unit either - how are you supposed to rackmount the UCX?

/Rant.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search