The Windows 8 thread - post your experience here
George Necola
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

The Windows 8 thread - post your experience here

hi guys,

all Windows 8 stuff that is not "problem" related get's in here. NO "we hate Microsoft" posts, no Windows 8 bashing.. we want the facts.. not your "it's all bs go to hell Microsoft" posts. thanx.

my first initial impression is:
- if you make it look like Windows 7 and get rid of the Metro design, implement the start button again, it's like Windows 7 except that you need an hour or so to find the system settings and tweak content in there..

- I installed Windows 8 as a second OS besides my Windows 7 and used a DAW benchmark (DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking) and was not able to use as many plugins in Windows 8 as in Windows 7 before my ASIO meter collapsed.

- it seems to me, that programs start faster, but don't run faster

- always wait for Service pack 1 with a Microsoft product before using it in a professional environement

last but not least:
it's an OS, it's not a new brand of coffe. so calm down, relax and enjoy or stick with Windows 7 if you don't like 8.

cheers
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
except that you need an hour or so to find the system settings and tweak content in there..
From the desktop, Win+X is your friend.

So far, pretty much everything at least runs. Amplitube 3 Custom Shop doesn't work real well. It keeps refreshing and downloading the content over and over. However AT3 works just fine as a plug-in.

Cubase and Reaper both installed and worked fine.

If you turn off all the cloud crap, the W8 footprint is much leaner.
1st November 2012
Old 1st November 2012
Gear maniac

Not exactly a DAW-related function directly, but I really like the File History and Storage Spaces functionality. The former is a "Time Machine"-esque backup utility with a clean interface that allows the incremental backups of certain libraries.

Storage Spaces allows you to group dissimilar storage (different connectors, different capacities) into single logical drives using storage virtualization. This is then easily expandable, much like a Drobo, but I suspect more reliable.

I've already tested the resiliency by running a virtual machine from another box across the network from a share on the Storage Space of my Win8 box, and pulling the plug to simulate drive failure. No hiccup!

While I don't know that I'd want to stream audio directly from a Storage Space, it could be very handy for people wanting to store their audio data long term and safely. I honestly haven't ran any speed tests yet (two 1.5TB WD Black drives), but will soon.
2nd November 2012
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear maniac

We did a lot of testing at Samplitude/Sequoia/MAGIX. My test rig was W8 64bit Pro Stock, no tweaks. With Sequoia 12.2 (latest patch, due out in a few weeks). The patch works perfectly under W8 64bit. Both clean install and upgrading worked for us. If you do the upgrade option, you need to re-install the Codemeter Runtime program. Ilok running fine here on the clean install system. Not tested on the upgrade.

Here are some other things of interest:

-UAD-2, works perfectly
-SSL Duende with a CM dongle works, Virtual Dongle not working, Plugs work.
-Other plugs Tested: Slate, PSP, Kontakt4 64bit, UBK-1 all worked just as they did in W7 64.
-FL stuido, no issues
-PT 10, DAE errors and will not run, someone else gets to trouble shoot them...
-Some reports of FW issues for FW audio interfaces. Contact manufacturer to confirm compatibility
-No latency issues
-In Sequoia/Samplitude, CLassic engine, Asio/CPU are better, in Hybrid engine, the same or slightly higher. But we could also get lower ASIO buffer settings in W8, so thats cool!

I personally love W8, Its W7 SP3 IMHO, but with new GUI enhancements. All the negative feedback about it is crazy to me. Just hit Cntrl+alt+delete to goto task manager and you will see that there are enhancements everywhere for us.

Here are some tips that I found useful from a 50 tips and tricks article:

19. Disable the lock screen

If you like your PC to boot just as fast as possible then the new Windows 8 lock screen may not appeal. Don't worry, though, if you'd like to ditch this then it only takes a moment.
Launch GPEdit.msc (the Local Group Policy Editor) and browse to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalisation.
Double-click "Do not display the lock screen", select Enabled and click OK.
Restart and the lock screen will have gone.

20. Log in automatically

Of course even if you remove the lock screen, you'll still be forced to manually log in every time your system starts. This can also be resolved at speed, though, using much the same technique as in previous versions of Windows.
Hold down the Windows key, press R, type netplwiz and press Enter to launch the User Accounts dialog.
Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box and click OK.
Enter the user name and password of the account that you'd like to be logged in automatically, click OK, restart your system and this time it should boot directly to the Start screen.

23. Launch programs fast

If you're a fan of keyboard shortcuts and don't like the idea of scrolling through Metro tiles to find the program you need, don't worry, Windows 8 still supports a useful old shortcut. Which is perfect if, say, you're looking to be able to shut down your PC with a click.
Launch the desktop app, right-click an empty part of the desktop and click New > Shortcut.
Browse to the application you'd like to launch here. Of for the sake of this example, enter
shutdown.exe -s -t 00
to shut down your PC, or
shutdown.exe -h -t 00
to hibernate it, and click Next. Type a shortcut name - Hibernate, say - and click Finish.
Right-click the shortcut, select Pin to Start and it should appear on the far right of the Metro screen - just drag the tile wherever you like.

32. Start screen background

If you'd like to change your lock, user tile or start screen images then press Win + I, click "More PC settings" and choose the Personalize option. Browse the various tabs and you'll be able to choose alternative images or backgrounds in a click or two. And in theory you'll also be able to define apps that will display their status on the lock screen, although the app must specifically support this before it'll be accessible from your Personalize settings.

42. Show all folders

The default Windows 8 Explorer view doesn't show all the usual drives and folders - Control Panel, Recycle Bin and so on - in the left-hand navigation pane. It certainly keeps the display simple, and if you want to see all your drives then you can just click Computer, but if you prefer to see everything up-front then it only takes a moment. Click View > Options, check "Show all folders" and click OK.
3rd November 2012
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear nut

Hi Tim,

Do you have the link to the full article?

Thanks!
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
my first initial impression is:
- if you make it look like Windows 7 and get rid of the Metro design, implement the start button again, it's like Windows 7 except that you need an hour or so to find the system settings and tweak content in there..

cheers
here's a tweak that i've been usin' since start of W7...and it works on W8 too. tho i have not spent much time on W8 yet i did spend enough time to see if this works. no more goin' thru menus and panels etc...it's all listed in alphabetical order. you can rename this to anything you like EXCEPT you have to keep the extension just as it is. if you haven't checked it out yet then you should enjoy it
Attached Files
File Type: zip MasterControlPanel.zip (256 Bytes, 753 views)
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Gear maniac

That list, no, but there are lots of them out there, just google it.
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have extensively tested Windows 8 on a virtual machine and even a full-installation on one of my ancillary computers (VEP slave.) I have found absolutely no problems with hardware and software. Track and plugin test counts with Cubase 6.5, Sonar X2 and Reaper 4 all turned out to be nearly identical in Win 7 and Win 8. I'm ready to upgrade my main desktop.

Incidentally, you will not like Windows 8 unless you have a touch screen, a touch pad or a motion controller. But if you do, you're going to love it. I have tested several input devices and finally settled for the Logitech T650 touch pad, which offers all the advantages of a Win 8 touch screen without even extending your arm. Brilliant. BTW, you can program your own gestures with this device.

kdm
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
kdm
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
I have extensively tested Windows 8 on a virtual machine and even a full-installation on one of my ancillary computers (VEP slave.) I have found absolutely no problems with hardware and software. Track and plugin test counts with Cubase 6.5, Sonar X2 and Reaper 4 all turned out to be nearly identical in Win 7 and Win 8. I'm ready to upgrade my main desktop.

Incidentally, you will not like Windows 8 unless you have a touch screen, a touch pad or a motion controller. But if you do, you're going to love it. I have tested several input devices and finally settled for the Logitech T650 touch pad, which offers all the advantages of a Win 8 touch screen without even extending your arm. Brilliant. BTW, you can program your own gestures with this device.
What hardware? It will take time to get data on all audio cards, but this is a good start.

It will be a while for my main DAW just because PT10 is yet to be qualified, but great to hear about Cubase as that's my main scoring system (but still need to have PT10 as well).

I do completely agree on the touch screen - Win8 is a joy to use on touch screen and significantly speeds up many tasks over any traditional OS design.

"Metro" makes it much faster to do basic daily/office tasks, email, browsing, etc. That will take a while to translate to the DAW world, but I want to be moving my studio to touch-screen based with Win8 next year.

I've also been impressed with the auto-search feature - just type an app name from the Win8 start screen and it opens the new/recent doc page for that app. I for one don't miss the "Start" button - it was always just an extra click and menu scrolling that can now easily be eliminated.
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
What hardware?
RME UFX (desktop - tested with both FW and USB connection, not at the same time, obviously...) and Babyface (laptop.) Same results on both.

Quote:
I for one don't miss the "Start" button - it was always just an extra click and menu scrolling that can now easily be eliminated.
Me neither. I've never used it. I have the most used apps and folders with all the others pinned on my taskbar. I find it way more efficient than the start button.
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

Paul, thanks for posting reports on Win 8.
I feel like I want to get a hybrid Win 8 tablet almost this week (money isn't an issue), but I need to hold myself for Surface Pro and Transformer book.

Anyway, have you used TotalMix FX with your Logitech tablet?
That's my main concern, since I will use the Win 8 tablet as a SSD recorder with UFX, and operating TotalMix FX with touch screen is my goal. TotalMix has so many tiny knobs and Fx functions cluttered in a small space, so I'm wondering I can use fingers to control these.

Sorry, a little bit off topic, but still related to the experience of Win 8.
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

i did a 3 hour live recording last week, 24 tracks 24/48 using a HP elitebook and a steinberg UR824 and reaper x64 on windows 8 x64.

no issues whatsoever :D

MC
5th November 2012
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
Paul, thanks for posting reports on Win 8.
I feel like I want to get a hybrid Win 8 tablet almost this week (money isn't an issue), but I need to hold myself for Surface Pro and Transformer book.

Anyway, have you used TotalMix FX with your Logitech tablet?
That's my main concern, since I will use the Win 8 tablet as a SSD recorder with UFX, and operating TotalMix FX with touch screen is my goal. TotalMix has so many tiny knobs and Fx functions cluttered in a small space, so I'm wondering I can use fingers to control these.

Sorry, a little bit off topic, but still related to the experience of Win 8.
Actually it's a very interesting question for people using RME hardware.
I've encountered no problems with TotalMix FX under W8, but the experience hasn't been any different than using a mouse. Obviously RME hasn't implemented multi-touch or any of the Win 8 gestures on their software yet. But I'm pretty sure they are working on that.
6th November 2012
Old 6th November 2012
Gear interested

So far everything I have tried to run with Windows 8 has gone pretty well except a video driver on an all-in-one box but found a work around.

Music related Cubase runs well BUT Behringer's X32 USB driver will not install because it has some check on the name of the version of Windows you are using and craps out. I'm wishing now that I had not done a clean install now. I'm sure if I had just installed over the USB driver it would have worked fine.....
6th November 2012
Old 6th November 2012
Gear addict

Right-click in the very bottom left hand corner and you get a lot of useful selections from the old start menu. Windows-Q to go to all apps in the metro UI. Haven't really exercised it in the DAW world yet, but Studio One 2.07 and PT 10.3.2 load and run.
George Necola
6th November 2012
Old 6th November 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcatta View Post
So far everything I have tried to run with Windows 8 has gone pretty well except a video driver on an all-in-one box but found a work around.

Music related Cubase runs well BUT Behringer's X32 USB driver will not install because it has some check on the name of the version of Windows you are using and craps out. I'm wishing now that I had not done a clean install now. I'm sure if I had just installed over the USB driver it would have worked fine.....
you can fake this.

try:
To make Windows report a fake version do the following:
1. Start the Application Verifier
2. Click on File->Add Application, and find the application you want to report the fake Window version to
3. In the right window deselect anything that's preselected, now expand Compatibility, check HighVersionLie
4. Left click HighVersionLie and select Properties, here you can enter the fake Windows version you want the application to get
5. Click on the Save button and start the target application.

SOURCE: http://forum.exetools.com/showthread.php?t=13457
6th November 2012
Old 6th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
you can fake this.

try:
To make Windows report a fake version do the following:
1. Start the Application Verifier
2. Click on File->Add Application, and find the application you want to report the fake Window version to
3. In the right window deselect anything that's preselected, now expand Compatibility, check HighVersionLie
4. Left click HighVersionLie and select Properties, here you can enter the fake Windows version you want the application to get
5. Click on the Save button and start the target application.

SOURCE: Is there a utility that could cheat windows version ?? - EXETOOLS FORUM
You sir are friggin brilliant!!! Had to download the windows 8 SDK to make it happen but it happened. Now I just need to take the computer back to the studio and make sure the driver is working.
6th November 2012
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post

I personally love W8, Its W7 SP3 IMHO, but with new GUI enhancements. All the negative feedback about it is crazy to me. Just hit Cntrl+alt+delete to goto task manager and you will see that there are enhancements everywhere for us.
Call me crazy if you like but I don't see any benefit performance wise , and I haven't seen anything you listed as any reason to bother moving off Win7 , unless of course you like the Tiles !

What advancements in Task Manager are you referring to that would be an advantage to DAW usage, maybe I missed something.

My experience detailed and documented elsewhere on this forum, performance is identical using Cubendo and SONAR as the Host DAW's , ( at least it didn't go backwards) , I can't stand the UI for desktop use , I didn't have any issues with the RME PCIe test hardware but the FW stack has been changed and the legacy driver has been dropped , meaning even interfaces like the RME FF400 will not work when the FF800 does, so I suspect there will be more FW interfaces with issues.

To each their own , I won't touch it with a barge pole unless my hand is forced by Microsoft pulling Win7 OEM, and from the information I have, they won't , it will run concurrently as the business / corporate sector will not touch it.

6th November 2012
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Concerning the Firewire stack one should mention that it all depends on your Firewire chipset and its implementation (on the mainboard/card). I am regularly using a Fireface 400 with the non legacy FW stack in W7 without issues (LSI/Agere chipset).
6th November 2012
Old 6th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Call me crazy if you like but I don't see any benefit performance wise , and I haven't seen anything you listed as any reason to bother moving off Win7 , unless of course you like the Tiles !

What advancements in Task Manager are you referring to that would be an advantage to DAW usage, maybe I missed something.

My experience detailed and documented elsewhere on this forum, performance is identical using Cubendo and SONAR as the Host DAW's , ( at least it didn't go backwards) , I can't stand the UI for desktop use , I didn't have any issues with the RME PCIe test hardware but the FW stack has been changed and the legacy driver has been dropped , meaning even interfaces like the RME FF400 will not work when the FF800 does, so I suspect there will be more FW interfaces with issues.

To each their own , I won't touch it with a barge pole unless my hand is forced by Microsoft pulling Win7 OEM, and from the information I have, they won't , it will run concurrently as the business / corporate sector will not touch it.

I understand where you are coming from. As an IT geek I have a cpu monitor running on of my i7 comps. I used to watch in amazement at how windows 7 didn't seem to use all the cores no matter what I did and even neglected some all together while doing very heavy multimedia stuff. This has decidedly changed under Windows 8. All cores are being tapped no matter what I do. How does that translate into performance? Meh some things are snappier and others smoother. I have also noticed that Win 8 seems to use less system memory then Win 7...yes I was monitoring that regularly as well.

How this helps...not sure at this point. Cubase 6.5.3 seems to run very well thus far but I can't say it's better yet.

Having loaded Win 8 on older machines it does seem to add a little pep to their step. This barring any old driver availability issues of course.
7th November 2012
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur Born View Post
Concerning the Firewire stack one should mention that it all depends on your Firewire chipset and its implementation (on the mainboard/card). I am regularly using a Fireface 400 with the non legacy FW stack in W7 without issues (LSI/Agere chipset).
Not as simple as that Timur.

I use nothing but TI Chipsets and still use the legacy stack , simply because its delivers better performance over the native stack , even if the interface works fine on the native. The problem with the FF400 noted is not due to chipsets on the host.

7th November 2012
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

- My two MOTU interfaces (UltraLite-mk3 and PCIe-424/24i/o) severely underperformed in Cubase DAWBench tests versus Windows 7 on the same system. My other two interfaces (Virus TI and NI KA 6) performed the same and only slightly worse, respectively. The MOTU interfaces worked fine for day-to-day projects; only saw issues with the giant benchmark projects.
- Actual interface latency, as tested by the RTL Utility (for real-time latency measurement) was identical across both operating systems for all interfaces. (Those crazy DPC Latency results people reported are due to a measurement change in Win 8... I don't know if they've released an updated version of that latency checker tool yet.)
- I couldn't get Waves 9 to work on Win 8.
- The various performance enhancements in Win 8 did not improve my music production experience/performance even a tiny bit.
- The latest NVidia drivers for my video card (GeForce GTX 570) caused cold-boot blue screens 100% of the time on a fresh Windows 8 install. The in-box drivers for the card didn't have this problem. Win 8 would eventually load after the automatic restart that came after the blue screen. I fixed this by replacing the NVIDIA with an ATI card I had laying around.
- There's a big thread on KVR about people having problems with Sylenth1, and I'm hearing of issues with the Access Virus on Win 8, although my own experience- limited solely to using its audio interface mode- has been positive.

I am exclusively back on Win 7 now for all music production.
mfx
9th November 2012
Old 9th November 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

@ TAFKAT Before I post I thought I pay my respect and say I am totally with you. Main use for PC is music work else just internet, email and media. Whilst initial positive impressions definaterly quirky in respect to workflow with mouse vs W7.

Here's my problem. Not even tested Cubase and various plugins yet so nice to see the positive reports.

My issue:

RME Fireface 800 and Windows 8 Drivers wont install?

Access Virus TI appears to be working fine so using that as a saoundcard for now.... :( :@)
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

All my software, plugins, dongles, dsp cards, sample librarie players etc works fine and i actually like the new UI. yai!
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
All my software, plugins, dongles, dsp cards, sample librarie players etc works fine and i actually like the new UI. yai!
+1

MC

Sent from my Nexus 7
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've been running Windows 8 x64 for some time now (MSDN access).

I took the opportunity to move to Cubase x64 and replace any un-spported 32-bit plugins with 64-bit equivalents.

Cubase itself, along with all my plugins seem to work very well although I haven't produced a complete with W8 track just yet, but will do so in the next few weeks.

I have however noticed a problem with my Fireface UC whereby the master out volume will jump to +6db if the unit is switched off and then on in Windows 8. I need to experiment a bit more with reproducing this and get in touch with RME but would be interested to know if anyone has had the same issue. Moving the knob at that point seems to do something completely unusual and the only way to restore the volume and knob is to adjust the volume from TotalMix.

I absolutely adore the new Start screen. Just uninstall all the Modern apps that come with it and organise it as neat launcher, with application grouping. I also suggest adding Shutdown, Restart, Control Panel, Computer and folder shortcuts to it too. I was never a fan of the old start menu anyway, search was slow and it wasn't customisable enough. Be sure to give the new one a chance
mfx
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

Reinstalled Windows7 - as faithful as ever, all I need from Windows8 is any performance enhancement minus the new GUI. If only W7 could update to W8 with optional attachments so to speak
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Reinstalled Windows7 - as faithful as ever, all I need from Windows8 is any performance enhancement minus the new GUI. If only W7 could update to W8 with optional attachments so to speak
Interesting re the FF800, I actually had no issue getting the driver installed and working with the FF800. Its a crap shoot !

I agree 100% re the only allure of Win8 would be performance improvements , which there are none.

10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Well the good thing bout Microsoft is you'll be able to keep using windows 7 for a good number of years to come.

:-)

MC

Sent from my Nexus 7
mfx
10th November 2012
Old 10th November 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

@TAFKAT Yeah it seems to be very irratic with audio on my system as I installed the Virus TI without issue and after a while the sound dropped out but meters in windows show audio levels (maybe something I was overlooking there). Also the MOTU midiexpress drivers would dissapear. It could be down to my system, so Ive reinstalled will back up tonight and try W8 again soon when its been refined, maybe.
The odd thing is rmes win_fire_3034 installed, but again the audio started desyncing and destroying my ears, crashing intermittentantly and the win_fire 3069 driver would result in the same issue.

Anyway Im moving on so not to hijack hope others havbe more positive experiences with their W8 migrations.

fresh install I think is probably the best method as with any upgrade
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search