Login / Register

The Windows 8 thread - post your experience here
New Reply
Subscribe
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

For me Cubase 7 with Windows 8 is more stable than with Windows 7. But... I must take in to account, that I used a fresh installation of Windows 8 so there was no problematic stuff from older installations. Together with the improvements in Cubase 7 this combination works very nice.
But it's also stated by Steinberg... RAM is important, not only for Windows 8 but also for Cubase 7 which uses a bit more RAM. So a 64Bit DAW and at least 8GB RAM are recommended for a stable running DAW.

Frank Arnold
Musician and IT Freelancer

| | |
| |
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear Head

Enjoying Win8 for the most part.

Boots up in about 3 secs thanks to my solid state drive, runs Reaper flawlessly, very snappy. Haven't done benches but I have projects with tons of VSTs and generally getting great latency.

The only issue I have is that Microsoft have removed the much loved legacy firewire driver, so if you depended on that driver for your audio interface, be warned.

RME User Forum / Win8: For those needing the 1394 OHCI (Legacy) driver.

My workaround, but it is tedious.

Here's hoping Microsoft sort this out.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

Follow up: After using Cubase today in Windows 8, Cubase 6.5 x64 is solid. With Cubase 6.5 x32 I was asked by windows after closing if the application closed correctly. I clicked "yes" and that was that. No worries. I have the window borders set to a grayish-blue that looks good with Cubase. Better than Aero in fact. I like the Aero look, so I was not sure if I would like the more muted, subdued version of it in Windows 8, but the new window bars are configurable in a way that, I feel, enhances the look of Cubase (or any other window-heavy application).
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Two Gear Heads

Windows 8 Pro x64
EMU 1820 soundcard
Cubase 6.5.3 x64

Plugins installed (64bit when available) from Waves, Slate Digital, DMG Audio, ValhallaDSP, Soundtoys, Plugin-Alliance, FXpansion, u-he, Novation, Fabfilter and probably some others I can't remember at the moment.

My experience in the last few weeks has been very positive. Mixing and producing has been very stable and compared to Win7 I don't feel a difference in performance.

So, no issues for me, happy to have a legal Windows for such a crazy low price!

28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Still cannot get Win 8 to acknowledge the Plextor SATA DVD drive installed in my DAW PC. (The same drive I used to install the bloody OS!!!)

If I show hidden devices in Device Manager it says the device isn't connected. (Error 43 I think?). It's a pretty common symptom, but none of the remedies I've seen on the 'net have helped. I have to keep plugging in this old Memorex USB DVD drive if I ever need to install something from a disc. The Win 7 partition has no trouble with the drive.

Had this problem all the time at work as well, on all sorts of systems. Optical drive would be fine all through Win 8 install, then POOF! Weird.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

Send a message via AIM to KevWest Send a message via MSN to KevWest Send a message via Skype™ to KevWest
Ive been on windows 8 for a few weeks now maybe a month and I really like it a lot. better than windows 7? debatable but windows 8 is still a great os.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to Mats H
I've been running Windows 8 Professional on my Mac Mini Server i7 2.0 GHz with 8 GB ram since the release. Before that, I tried some betas, but kept the Win7 installation for quite long. Long story short, my video drivers decided to go bananas and wouldn't get fixed, so the upgrade was more of a way of getting from the old Windows installation. I did a clean install.

My experience with the operating system so far is that it's quite snappy and fast to work with. Most applications work the way they should. Desktop mode gets used most of the time except when watching movies in Netflix or the other odd app.

I use Adobe Creative Suite 6, Sonar, Sound Forge, Izotope RX, Korg Audiogate and a lot of other applications. They all work but there are some quirks with a few of the apps.

Sonar crashed every five minutes until the latest update. Since then, it's been stable for hours on end. Not a single crash since. Sound Forge curiously has to be started in Administrator mode, or else the registration box comes up and the program won't start. Relab LX480 Lite just won't work on my setup. At all.

I count on getting updates for the software to fix these issues. Nothing that really stops me from getting work done.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for food

The msfn forums have lots of tips for those wanting the old start menu etc.
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Gear addict

Anybody using here Virus TI as plugin successfully under W8? (no soundcard feature now)
mfx
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
mfx
Lives for gear

I've not had much luck with ASIO soundcards in WIndows 8.

I performed a fresh W8 install on the PC (not an upgrade: cleared drive using diskpart and installing straight from Windows8 ISO), with no other peripherals or drives attached and added each one by one. My experience :

Access Virus on USB2 port (not hubbed) with 1 meter shielded usb2 cable. Sound dropped
RME Fireface using the advised legacy method with 3070 driver. Worked for about 10 minutes then dropped had to reset fireface.
Various plugins failing.

For ease, sanity and productivity went back to my system image Windows7 restore.

I personally will wait till SP1 is released.

Things to look at if you wish to persist.

Obviously perform a fresh reinstall I have a link which might help you (do not simply apply an upgrade to your existing W7 install = trouble) :

Check all drivers are latest.
Check all your motherboard drivers are upto date. Worth emailing your hardware support of mobo top verify the best drivers for your bios with Windows8.

Anyway a good guide to installing Windows7 and the same applies to Windows8 :

Reinstalling Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

My personal experience:

Quote:
Process :

• Backed up any important data on the OS drive ie; bookmarks, etc.

• Updated the motherboard bios using the latest available from the hardware manufacturers. Reset everything and rebooted back into BIOS. Set the BIOS for Hard Drives to AHCI for all drives and SSD to default boot with no other devices bootable including LAN etc. Switched off any unecesary motherboard hardware (2 on board ethernet sockets as I use a seperate PCI ethernet card) and the onboard HD sound intel CH10 (from memory). Made sure as many relevant bios setting at default/auto particularly for memory and cpu timings.

• Disconnected all hard drives leaving only the SSD on Port 0 and the DVD drive (IDE 1) connected, replaced all the sata cable with new ones (had some spare). Had a general clean up of all the fans and tidied all cables leaving inners streamlined for air flow. All Hard drives except SSD still not attached and left out for the remainder of Windows 7 install.

• Using the Linux/Ubuntu boot disk method performed a secure SSD erase restoring the drive to manufacturers state.

• No formatting required as SSD secured wiped let Windows 7 decide and did not opt for format. Installed Windows7 without any usb ports occupied (apart from mouse and keyboard) and no other hard drives or hardware attached (apart from the obvious graphics card etc...Im not that good).

• Ran updates for everything.

• Reconnected each hard drive one by one performing reboots and updates on each occassion. I did not use any of the JB Micron controller ports. On reading some post around the net and from users on the manufacturers (EVGA) forum they are not overly recommended, feel free to interject and correct my info here. This also identified that one of my recent harddrive purchases was a SCSI drive on SATA with 64MB Cache, believe this may be better serviced on a motherboard with USBIII?

• Once everything was done performed a windows backup system image before installing any more hardware, software or drivers.

• Installed each hardware component piece by piece using windows update driversw or latest manufacturer drivers. Rebooting on each install.

• Installed all relevant software required for my use and registered (takes hours, well 2 days but done). Only software I installed for system maintenance was CCleaner to keep the SSD free of junk, ESETNod 32 (I trust this antivirus), 7zip for compressed files, VLCPlayer for playback, Infranview for photos, Foobar for music, copytrans for ipod and only firefox for browsing (ignoring Internet explorer 9). Configured all the software for my use (again time consuming) and promised should I need anything more in the future I have a book to make notes and when a page is filled restore from image, retweak and back up again.

•Checked the eventviewer verifying no nasty exclamation marks and warnings, apart from one's which I was aware about when installing 2 pieces of aditional software and trying to be clever.

• Renamed the original WindowsBackUpSystem image to original and performed a final backup along with recovery DVD just in case.

Been running now for 3 days and only 1 BSOD which occurred when installing Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007. Ran antivrus and spyware check on the disk in the laptop. There were approx 6 cab files not accessible so rescanned system post office install. On second install attempt all went smoothly. Possibly the ide cable was not quite in properly. This is a genuine copy as far as I can tell.

So what I have learnt from this lesson :

Be patient, dont do short cuts no matter how tempting it may seem and be pragmatically logical on installations. A well thought out and proper installation saves a hell of a lot of time and trouble trying to resolve issues and running around in circles, creating more problems and adding further issues into the equation. Further more if anything more happens I can just reinstall again and I believe the image is suitable for any SSD or Harddrive,
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
The msfn forums have lots of tips for those wanting the old start menu etc.
I've been super pleased with that Classic Shell Start menu replacement on SourceForge. It completely restores all the features I missed in Win 8, and makes the OS perfectly usable for my purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Anybody using here Virus TI as plugin successfully under W8? (no soundcard feature now)
I have used the Virus TI (running TIOS 4.5) on Windows 8, using the audio interface feature only... didn't try any sequencing with the Virus on Win 8.

The audio interface feature, however, worked fine for me- just as well as it did on Win 7.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Virus TI Snow with latest x64 drivers on Win 8 x64 = no issues at all.
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Corsair hydro series H100

RME Fireface UFX + Fireface 800
Cubase 7.5 (x64) - Live 9 (x64)
Neve 8816 summing mixer - Genelec 1031 A / 1092 A
Subphatty - Tempest - Minibrute
Supernova 2 - JP-8000
Keith McMillen QUNEO - NI Maschine mkI
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW, on this machine, I did an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. my MOTU 828mk3 (using firewire) worked perfectly once I reinstalled the driver. Cubase also worked fine once I updated to the Win8 version of the dongle driver.

I have an interest in seeing this machine work well with Windows 8, but honestly, I really didn't need to do much of anything special.

This is a custom machine with a Gigabyte UD9 motherboard, 12 gigs ram, 6 core intel processor, SSD, NVidia graphics.

Pete
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Head

If anyone experiences problems with firewire in Win8 they can try this driver: QImaging Software Downloads

Scroll down to the IEEE-1394.

It's enabled my RME Fireface 400 which has always only worked correctly on the older, more stable 'legacy' firewire driver. I've had this issue since Win7 on both VIA and TI controllers. YMMV.

Hopefully Microsoft will add the old legacy driver back into Win8 otherwise I'm looking at a $1000+ spend I can't afford.

Otherwise, Win8 continues to run swimmingly on my studio machine (i7 2600k @ 4ghz, 16GB ram) smoother than Win7, especially multitasking, so I'm not keen to jump back to Win7.

Also for those wanting the old Start Menu back, I'm very fond of Classic Shell: Classic Shell | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Classic Shell also allows you to boot straight to the desktop and disable the hot corners, which annoys me greatly. It's very tweakable and best of all, free.
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Gear interested

- if you make it look like Windows 7 and get rid of the Metro design, implement the start button again, it's like Windows 7 except that you need an hour or so to find the system settings and tweak content in there..
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemash View Post
- if you make it look like Windows 7 and get rid of the Metro design, implement the start button again, it's like Windows 7 except that you need an hour or so to find the system settings and tweak content in there..
As a power user, Windows Key + X is your friend.

Pete
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

I remember when I got my first macbook pro, as a windows user I found everything a lot more difficult and consequently I was a lot slower using OSX.
A long time mac using friend then spent an hour with me and went over a lot of keyboard short cuts and suddenly things started to make sense.

Windows 8 reminds me of the same transition, just spend some time learning how to use it rather than trying to force it to work the way windows 'used' to do and you'll be a lot more productive and happier.

MC
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Windows 8 reminds me of the same transition, just spend some time learning how to use it rather than trying to force it to work the way windows 'used' to do and you'll be a lot more productive and happier.
The difference is that OSX follows human interface guidelines and Win8 breaks them. So that OSX is much easier to adapt to because its intuitive.

Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

that's like saying English is intuitive but German isnt. I never found OSX intuitive as someone who'd come from windows, I just had to learn a different 'language' . I found iOS for example a PIA coming from an Android tablet but once I'd learned 'the iOS' way of doing things it was fine.

My Partner who is a clever university educated woman certainly hasn't adapted to OSX and doesn't find most things intuitive after 3 years on her macbook, I still have to show her how to do quite basic things. My best friends wife who is a judge is the same, watching either of them operate their macbooks is quite challenging .

there is a you tube clip of a 3 year old flying round windows 8 on a touch screen so if a 3 year old can make it work well then I would probably say it's quite intuitive to someone who hasn't got any computer baggage.

I'm surprised by the windows 8 hatred around, last night I was reading about dev's complaing about the tight control microsoft want for apps from the app store. Apple have always done this and suddenly because Microsoft do it it's terrible !!!

the good thing about windows is though you'll be able to keep using windows 7 for the next 10 years no problem if that's what you want.

MC
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

One need only look at the current state of security in the Android world to see what happens when apps and the store aren't tightly controlled. Windows 8 is growing on me as I get accustomed to the differences from Windows 7. It's certainly faster on the same hardware, an i7. All of my software is working and I haven't experienced any problems yet.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Motown legend

Quote:
... I never found OSX intuitive as someone who'd come from windows, I just had to learn a different 'language' . ..
As someone coming from the real mac-os which actually was very intuitive, I found windowz far more intuitive to learn than system neXt.
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
that's like saying English is intuitive but German isnt. I never found OSX intuitive as someone who'd come from windows, I just had to learn a different 'language' . I found iOS for example a PIA coming from an Android tablet but once I'd learned 'the iOS' way of doing things it was fine.

My Partner who is a clever university educated woman certainly hasn't adapted to OSX and doesn't find most things intuitive after 3 years on her macbook, I still have to show her how to do quite basic things. My best friends wife who is a judge is the same, watching either of them operate their macbooks is quite challenging .

there is a you tube clip of a 3 year old flying round windows 8 on a touch screen so if a 3 year old can make it work well then I would probably say it's quite intuitive to someone who hasn't got any computer baggage.

I'm surprised by the windows 8 hatred around, last night I was reading about dev's complaing about the tight control microsoft want for apps from the app store. Apple have always done this and suddenly because Microsoft do it it's terrible !!!

the good thing about windows is though you'll be able to keep using windows 7 for the next 10 years no problem if that's what you want.

MC
I'm not a fan of OS X, but it makes reasonable sense, as the basic pre-W8 Windows UI has since Win 95. (The earlier Win 3.x desktop was a disaster from UI design points of view but the actual file system windowing was fine.)

W8/Metro, however, is an absurdity on a machine not hobbled by a touch-only physical interface. It certainly turns good UI design principles on their heads and breaks a number of cardinal rules of usability design.

(And, yes, I do own a touchscreen tablet. I even like it quite well now that I'm used to the fact that it's a TPITA trying to get anything vaguely approaching real work done on it. Heck, writing a couple sentences is an aggravating trial. And that's with what is supposedly the best voice reco going, along with a slide-typing replacement v-keyboard, etc.)

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Guru

13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Banned

Windows 8 is da ish!!!
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Ableton Live 9 64bit beta and windows 8 64bit

All 8 threads of my CPU used with 7 track mixes. It's rock solid.
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
that's like saying English is intuitive but German isnt.
I'm german, it's my native language, and yes, i think english is more intuitive.
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramonizer View Post
I'm german, it's my native language, and yes, i think english is more intuitive.

Ha, excellent, I just picked two random languages there and, as we say in england; 'hit the nail on the head' :D

I think the point here is what's intuitive to one person isn't to another. I mean look at the way people interact with the various DAW's . I for example could never get on with Logic, seemed the most inappropriately named piece of software I'd ever used. However I've friends who love it and find it easy to use.

MC
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I think the point here is what's intuitive to one person isn't to another. I mean look at the way people interact with the various DAW's . I for example could never get on with Logic, seemed the most inappropriately named piece of software I'd ever used. However I've friends who love it and find it easy to use.
What annoys me deeply is lack of options for tweaking/customisation. For example, Reaper is highly configurable, themeable - now that doesn't interest most people I'm sure, but if you have a particular way of doing things, or, like me, a very hard time dealing with bright user interfaces, being able to download a theme / change colours is a complete MUST HAVE.

Windows 8 is not terribly customisable, you basically have 2 options for themes, either the overly bright standard theme or the ugly dark high contrast theme - which is what I use. You can't really do much in terms of changing the colours of the standard Win8 theme, only the title bar and some other elements can be changed.. unlike in Win3.1->XP you had pretty much complete control over the interface colours and it started going downhill from Vista with the Aero interface.

And hell, even the themes for XP to 8 are digitally signed, you have to use a patch/hack to enable unsigned themes, and guess what? A lot of them don't work that well.

Win8 also has some annoying default hotkeys, like WIN+1,2,3,4,5 etc; which I've traditionally always used for my own purposes but since Vista it's been allocated to the quicklaunch bar and disabling them is beyond the means of Joe Average.

But maybe I'm just a fussy user, I'm a big fan of Linux, having used Gnome, KDE, XFCE etc; .. I still prefer Windows as a desktop OS but in Gnome/KDE/XFCE you're able to pretty much set all your colours, hotkeys etc; to the way YOU want them.

My fear is that Windows is becoming more like iOS in that it's restrictive and locked down. I hate companies that don't offer customisation options AND attempt to lock things down. Not everyone thinks the same, behaves the same and has the same ability, some have special needs, preferences and just want to make their machine THEIR machine.

disclaimer: I enjoy my iPad, my Win8 machine, my Android phone my Linux boxes, I'm not an OS fanboy of any particular platform.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search