The Windows 8 thread - post your experience here
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone using the Logitech T650 with Windows 7? Looks like a pretty good combination to me, or am I missing something?
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
My experience so far is a slight bruising of my right index finger and smudges on my 30" monitor from constantly trying to poke and swipe the stupid metro interface out of the way.
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Anyone using the Logitech T650 with Windows 7? Looks like a pretty good combination to me, or am I missing something?
It's a very good touchpad, but you really want to use it with Win 8, where it has a lot more gestures and you can even program your own. On Win 7 it's a lot more limited.
Old 26th November 2012
Gear interested

I love it on PC... sick of hearing people moan about it, if you dont like change or anything new then stick with 7 lol..

1 thing I dont like is the way it automatically logs in last user that was logged in...unless you use passwords, we dont use passwords...so I found a way to stop that happening

for anyone who wants to aswell...

Quote:
he user "SYSTEM" changes the value back from "1" to "0"
So the goal is not allow the user "SYSTEM" to change it.

[HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch]
Change value "Enabled" from "0" to "1"

Right mouse click at registry key "UserSwitch" -> "Permissions"
"Advanced" -> User "SYSTEM": "Disable inheritance"
- choose 'CONVERT' when prompted
Change owner from "SYSTEM" to group "Administrators" by clicking change at top and typing in Administrator into the box that appears then click OK
- then check the box "Replace owner on SubContainers and Objects"
click "SYSTEM" -> "Edit" -> Type "Deny" -> "Show advanced permissions" -> "Clear all" -> check only "Set value"
- check box "Only apply these permissions to objects within this container"
- click APPLY / OK on all windows
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
It's a very good touchpad, but you really want to use it with Win 8, where it has a lot more gestures and you can even program your own. On Win 7 it's a lot more limited.
Ok, thanks for that. Might write a letter to Santa then...
Old 1st December 2012
Gear Head

Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneelie View Post
Thank god someone at Microsoft snuck in a way to eliminate metro and the screen hogging ribbon. It requires altering the registry.
Windows 8 Registry Hack | Modern Windows Task Manager
Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just not upgrade to Win 8 if you don't like the modern UI?
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal View Post
Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just not upgrade to Win 8 if you don't like the modern UI?
Well Yes.

I have kept up with the development of Windows 8 and have experimented with it since its beta. I have watched the MSDN Build 2011 sessions on Windows 8 - BUILD2011 | Channel 9 there are numerous performance enhancements under the hood.

The only problem is the interface to use the system. Thankfully there are ways around the poor UI design. If it did not have performance benefits it would not matter. In my prospective Windows 8 would just be a continuation of Microsofts trend of botching every other OS. Vista had a bad UI and poor performance and was never worth a second look, 7 is great, and Windows 8 offers a lot of performance enhancements under the hood and the ability to delete metro and eliminate the ribbon and revert to standard menus rectifies 95% of the UI issues and makes Windows 8 a worthy upgrade.
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I have to say the new security features in W8 SUCK for audio.
Disable that malware and built in features as it will grind down to a halt scanning for virus.
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear addict

Well I was running W8 and PT 10.3.2 with fair success until last Cyber Monday when I nabbed a copy of Slate's VCC. For whatever reason it kept throwing DAE errors -7054 and -7401 at me. I tried several reinstalls of the plug and the ilok client to no avail...that drove me back to W7 which did not exhibit the problem. I don't have time right now to post on the Slate Forum and I didn't see any W8 users reporting there, so the W8 experience is shelved for the time being. Too bad since one big thing I was hoping for is better mem management. Already going back to W7 I have one session that eventually won't save due to the mysterious and undoable "Give more memory to Pro Tools" popup and crash.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Win 8 Pro 64 bit OEM disk came yesterday. Installed in my "experiment" machine, which is EVGA P55LE, i5 760 CPU, with 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 128GB.

Installation took ~25 minutes, while struggling to read the license number (I had to use magnifying glass!!). No drama, just as easy as Win 7 installation.

In 30 minutes, I was kind of feeling comfortable, so tried to turn it off and let my kids to figure out other stuff tomorrow.....then, I couldn't find an easy way to turn it off. 5 min google led to this article (for beta).

How to, uh, turn Windows 8 off | Microsoft - CNET News

ah....can I just turn off my PC? no....I have to click this, that, then, this, then move cursor to 'shut down'.

That's the moment I wanted to pull the power cord out from the wall (obviously I didn't).
Old 7th December 2012
Lol! I was also at it for like a half hour trying figure out how shut down windows 8 the first time round. I know I could of just looked it up online, but my pride wasn't having it.
Old 7th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
Win 8 Pro 64 bit OEM disk came yesterday. Installed in my "experiment" machine, which is EVGA P55LE, i5 760 CPU, with 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 128GB.

Installation took ~25 minutes, while struggling to read the license number (I had to use magnifying glass!!). No drama, just as easy as Win 7 installation.

In 30 minutes, I was kind of feeling comfortable, so tried to turn it off and let my kids to figure out other stuff tomorrow.....then, I couldn't find an easy way to turn it off. 5 min google led to this article (for beta).

How to, uh, turn Windows 8 off | Microsoft - CNET News

ah....can I just turn off my PC? no....I have to click this, that, then, this, then move cursor to 'shut down'.

That's the moment I wanted to pull the power cord out from the wall (obviously I didn't).
Actually you can just turn off your PC. Every modern commercially available PC (including desktops) has a soft off button which actually suspends with a short press. That's why the "shutdown" button isn't in your face in the UI, because most people (remember, almost all new PCs are laptops) don't use it anyway. They close the lid or hit the hardware power button.

Pete
Old 7th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Actually you can just turn off your PC. Every modern commercially available PC (including desktops) has a soft off button which actually suspends with a short press. That's why the "shutdown" button isn't in your face in the UI, because most people (remember, almost all new PCs are laptops) don't use it anyway. They close the lid or hit the hardware power button.

Pete
Thats cool for laptops, but most people that use desktops have it somewhere off to the side, and I personally would have to crouch underneath my desk and reach all the way to the back of my workstation just to turn off my PC, and that would definitely lead to some thrown out back muscles, I ain't complaining though, I'm just saying.
Old 7th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
Thats cool for laptops, but most people that use desktops have it somewhere off to the side, and I personally would have to crouch underneath my desk and reach all the way to the back of my workstation just to turn off my PC, and that would definitely lead to some thrown out back muscles, I ain't complaining though, I'm just saying.
True. Mine is behind two 30" displays and takes a good reach. I never shut my PC off though, unless I'm going away for a few days. On my three laptops, I just close the lid. On my Surface, I either close the cover, or hit the power button on the top.

Those of us with giant desktops just aren't the norm anymore, though. It's basically reserved really serious gamers with multiple video cards, and people like us who do things with other specialized hardware.

Many of the consumers who want something bigger than a laptop are going with all-in-one PCs, and those typically have power buttons on the display.

I used to see keyboards that had power/shutdown buttons on them. Haven't seen that in a while, but maybe it'll catch back on with the Windows 8 changes

Anyway, just hoping to shed a little light on it.

Pete
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Pete for chiming in. I'm pretty sure somebody will make a 'shutdown' app, which can be clicked in the start menu. I was a collector of these small free/shareware back in DOS/Win2 days until XP, but these days, I just don't have time and most of the tasks are well included in OS or major apps.

Anyway, it's good to have somebody who could potentially pass our words to the manufacture of the OS, and I'm sure Win 8 will be a great OS in the long run after SP1 or maybe SP2.

I'm not usually an early adopter, but this time, I want the hybrid tablet/ultrabook so bad. So I just bought the Win 8 and installed in a desktop just to learn ahead of time, so that I don't have a heart attack when I get the hybrid stuff.
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
Thanks Pete for chiming in. I'm pretty sure somebody will make a 'shutdown' app, which can be clicked in the start screen.
No need for an "app." You can make a shortcut and pin it to the start screen. Right-click desktop, click New > Shortcut, and then type in: shutdown /s /t 0.

Or just hit alt-F4 while in the desktop.
Old 7th December 2012
Can anyone chime in as to why my pc keeps waking up by itself after I put it in sleep mode? This is a custom i7 3770k build on a gigabyte mobo. I went into bios and turned off the wake up from Lan power options, so I don't know what could be causing this. The only peripherials I have connected are my display,2i2 interface,keyboard and mouse, and two midi controllers.
Old 7th December 2012
Quote:
Can anyone chime in as to why my pc keeps waking up by itself after I put it in sleep mode? This is a custom i7 3770k build on a gigabyte mobo. I went into bios and turned off the wake up from Lan power options, so I don't know what could be causing this. The only peripherials I have connected are my display,2i2 interface,keyboard and mouse, and two midi controllers.
Is the mouse bad? Most computers will wake on keyboard press, a mouse shake (move in two directions, or click), or Ethernet. Some even have a wake on USB which you may want to check.

Check the power options in the control panel.

Pete
Old 7th December 2012
Gear maniac

I have been messing with it at work when I have some free time. It seems as if UAC cannot be turned on. I will go to another platform altogether before I submit to UAC. Until they let me turn of the UAC, Windows 8 is irrelevant to me. I was on XP until a few months ago anyway, so im hoping to be on 7 til about 2015 or so at least.
Old 7th December 2012
Gear maniac

Thought I'd share:

Just read this post about Windows 8 on the Cakewalk blog, written by Noel Borthwick, CTO of Cakewalk / Dude That Knows Alot About Windows.

POST : http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-8-a...-applications/

They do some benchmark testing in Sonar towards the end of the page; otherwise he talks about what he likes / doesn't like about the new system.
Obviously the benchmarks were on just one system, and this information may or may not reflect what win8 means for your environment.. so .. as always ..

YMMV

--a
Old 8th December 2012
Quote:
Is the mouse bad? Most computers will wake on keyboard press, a mouse shake (move in two directions, or click), or Ethernet. Some even have a wake on USB which you may want to check.

Check the power options in the control panel.

Pete
Maybe its the mouse as its a refurbished microsoft 4500 comfort mouse I bought from bestbuy for like ten bucks. Will also check to see what other wake from options they got in the bios. Do you think it could maybe be the wifi/bluetooth card. I turned off wake from lan, but not sure if that applies to wlan.
Old 8th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlaya View Post
I have been messing with it at work when I have some free time. It seems as if UAC cannot be turned on. I will go to another platform altogether before I submit to UAC. Until they let me turn of the UAC, Windows 8 is irrelevant to me. I was on XP until a few months ago anyway, so im hoping to be on 7 til about 2015 or so at least.
I don't understand the logic here. UAC is there to protect people. Folks can't say "Windows is full of viruses/malware" and then say that they won't buy the OS because of the feature which fights that. Not logically, anyway.

But, philosophy aside, UAC only affects you when you install software. Unless you're installing new things every single day, this is very rarely in your face.

Anyway, the UAC implementation in Windows 8 is almost identical to that in Windows 7, and you have the same level of control as with Windows 7. I leave UAC on at the default level, but I could dial it back just as I do with Windows 7.

Pete
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't understand the logic here. UAC is there to protect people. Folks can't say "Windows is full of viruses/malware" and then say that they won't buy the OS because of the feature which fights that. Not logically, anyway.
The hatred some people have for Microsoft is anything but rational or logical. These are the same folks who claim that the battery life on the Surface Pro is totally unacceptable (without having tested it, of course.) All the while praising their MacBook Air's that have the very same battery life with the very same processor (but a lower resolution and a non-touch screen.)
Old 8th December 2012
Manic Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosleepPDX View Post
Thought I'd share:

Just read this post about Windows 8 on the Cakewalk blog, written by Noel Borthwick, CTO of Cakewalk / Dude That Knows Alot About Windows.

They do some benchmark testing in Sonar towards the end of the page; otherwise he talks about what he likes / doesn't like about the new system.
Obviously the benchmarks were on just one system, and this information may or may not reflect what win8 means for your environment.. so .. as always ..

YMMV

--a
Wow! There's some major improvements there, especially at low latency settings. I did not expect that.. definitely worth a read!

RB
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

I must say that having to click on "parameters" to shut down the computer was a huge WTF moment to me.

And I had to google to know how to close a tiled app.

Quite weird for someone who started with gem desktop and had most of Windows versions since. But I think it's the whole point, a forward push, they clearly want the world to feel the need for a touch screen or a tablet.

Apart from that, very good OS, def an enhanced Win 7, not a Me or Vista at all.

Audio wise I wait to have more experience before sharing with you but so far so good.
Old 8th December 2012
Quote:
Figured put what the problem was. Had to go into device manager and turn off allow device to wake computer for my wifi/bluetooth card. Also turned off this option on my mouse for good measure.
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Called Microsoft Technical Service, and spent 30 min on the phone. I was having a problem activating the new license key of the Win 8 Pro 64bit, OEM version. I got 0X80072F8F error when I tried to activate. Turned out to be, the error was due to incorrect date/time setting. Once I fixed the date and time, activation went through. I remember I reset the CMOS battery of the motherboard, and the date/time was screwed up, so it was my fault. But if the OS gave me an error message, something like "date/time doesn't look like current", then I probably found the solution myself.

Anyway, MS tech support was nice, and spent great deal for me on Saturday. I hope this information helps somebody in a similar trouble.
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
Wow! There's some major improvements there, especially at low latency settings. I did not expect that.. definitely worth a read!

RB
And as a counter balance

Read in Here

Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
And as a counter balance

Read in Here

MOTU drivers incompatible with Win 8. That seems to be the ONLY example where Windows 7 outperforms 8. Incidentally, MOTU drivers for Windows traditionally suck.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search