Apogee Ensemble firmware-update-tip
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Head

Apogee Ensemble firmware-update-tip

Having had some problems with clicks and pops even in itunes with my Apogee Ensemble, I decided to contact customer support. They sent me a file with the latest ensemble updater and a specific way of how to update.

Updating the firmware (downgrading first etc) ended in red flashing lights on the ensemble. Since customer support was closed I tried this plenty of times, with the updater freezing at least half of them.

Then I decided to try updating only BCD first, and then FPGA. Now my apogee is working as it should again

So if you're having trouble updating firmware on the ensemble, try updating either BCG or FPGA, then the other.
Old 9th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vido View Post
Having had some problems with clicks and pops even in itunes with my Apogee Ensemble, I decided to contact customer support. They sent me a file with the latest ensemble updater and a specific way of how to update.

Updating the firmware (downgrading first etc) ended in red flashing lights on the ensemble. Since customer support was closed I tried this plenty of times, with the updater freezing at least half of them.

Then I decided to try updating only BCD first, and then FPGA. Now my apogee is working as it should again

So if you're having trouble updating firmware on the ensemble, try updating either BCG or FPGA, then the other.
That's a nice tip. I'm having the same problem, can you tell what BCG or FPGA stand for?
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy kiddo View Post
That's a nice tip. I'm having the same problem, can you tell what BCG or FPGA stand for?
FPGA: fieal programmable gate array: doesn't really matter, if you ask me it is counter-productive to mention it for upgrading the firmware. BCD: something similar I think. It's all digital-technique-stuff, that (electronic) engineers learn.

My problem though is that the ensemble after a while of using still releases these pops and clicks during playback, even in itunes. Hope you made it work for you!
Old 5th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:

Hi!

I have the same problem, did the way you updated fix the problem? Or does it still pop now and then,?

I have been in contact with apogee support and I have send a system profiler report. Haven't got any answer yet..

peace
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Head

Problem not solved, bad experience with high buffer

My problem with the ensemble has not gone away, it is better though. Still I have major issues at high buffer rates in ableton. Anyway over 512 and the crackles becomes a constant buzz...

Please: if anyone else is experiencing the same, post it here. Apogee support seems to think that the issues are few and far between, but it seems to me we're not the only ones having trouble.

Apogee (especially) and ableton needs to communicate and make something that works!
Old 15th November 2012
Gear addict

I'm runnin ableton as well as the ensemble and I've always had issues with clicks and pops. It's really a hit or miss. One day a certain buffer size is runnin beautifully and the next it's totally wacky. This is with only 2 tracks running in record mode. I've seriously considered moving to pro tools and getting a different interface just because of this unreliability. I think the ensemble sounds great, but it's pretty up and down. I'm running an 8 core Mac pro and I feel I'm selling myself short and not taking advantage of the power and consistency it should be putting out. This stuff is dang expensive as we all know and really deserve reliability and quality for what we pay.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Head

This is really odd because I am running Ableton Live 8 as well but with an Echo AF12. Random clicks and pops. I can get it to stop by changing the sample rate and then changing it back.

I wonder if the Core Audio driver is to blame or Ableton? Or a combo. Ughhhh.
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcabin View Post
Random clicks and pops. I can get it to stop by changing the sample rate and then changing it back.
If you can get it to stop by just changing sample-rate, good for you... Thats when I'll have to shut down the system, cross my fingers, look to the sky and hope for a system that will work...

LED music: the ensemble lives it's own life. I'm now looking at the rme ufx because it's supposed to have stable drivers.
Old 17th November 2012
Gear interested

Im having the same problems with clicks & pops by having music played thru the ensemble. it was working fine for a couples years but ever since I made the update to v1,34b30 fpga
v1,9b30 bcd pure problems. within second of playing any kind of sound, click & pops then i get disconnected. any advice on to how I can get back to having the ensemble working again.
thanks.
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimroze View Post
Im having the same problems with clicks & pops by having music played thru the ensemble. it was working fine for a couples years but ever since I made the update to v1,34b30 fpga
v1,9b30 bcd pure problems. within second of playing any kind of sound, click & pops then i get disconnected. any advice on to how I can get back to having the ensemble working again.
thanks.
It should be possible to downgrade the system, customer support may send you the version that worked for you... I did a downgrade and then an upgrade after, and it sucks still. Let us know if you get it stable again! I'm really frustrated with the driver though, not being able to save settings makes things extra bothersome when I have to restart all the time...
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

I would expect this hassle from a $99 Behringer interface with RCA jacks.... but what is the deal with a $2K interface not locking up with the one and only OS it will work with?
Old 19th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
LED music: the ensemble lives it's own life. I'm now looking at the rme ufx because it's supposed to have stable drivers.
I tried the same route and returned it immediately. It didn't sound as good as the ensemble. I didnt care how stable it was supposed to be compared to the ensemble. I thought the apogee was way more pleasing to listen to.
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music View Post
I tried the same route and returned it immediately. It didn't sound as good as the ensemble. I didnt care how stable it was supposed to be compared to the ensemble. I thought the apogee was way more pleasing to listen to.
Hmm I can't say I agree. But I'm really not that much of a hi-fi-person anyway. Plus I haven't done a side-by-side test. But I am more than happy with the rme ufx sound
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

I purchased my apogee within months of it being released and I have never ever had a problem with it from day one.... it has been nothing but rocksolid for me , in fact I think it has been the most reliable piece of hardware I have in my studio
Old 16th December 2012
Gear maniac

Ensemble is great. Had these same problems in the beginning. Make sure the songs are played back at the same sample rate they were recorded, if you have an older Mac, try recording in 44.1 only. Most likely you will not need to go higher. Also check that the sample rate for your DAW and Ensemble match. Look also into the buffer. Lower it accordingly, till the pops stop. I have since moved on to the Symphony I/o but I miss the sound of the Ensemble for my ears only. Have done tons of recordings on it with Logic. Called support one time in the beginning and they did put me on about the fpga/bcd version as was mentioned here. Updated the firmware only when it suited my use (read the fine print on the updates). Also don't be afraid to use low latency mode. That stopped the pops at some crucial times. Haven't had a problem since. A great piece of hardware.
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Head

Maybe some units are just faulty, like with cars, and that I was one of the unlucky ones. Even if it's the same model two units can differ.
Old 25th February 2013
Got a new mbp, now having this damn problem.

Did not have it with my older mbp, was running older version of live 8, with older osx (snow leopard) and maestro 1.
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone running the Maestro version 2 on Snow Leopard (10.6.8)?, their website is a little unclear as to whether or not you can.... and I am afraid to update......
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
Anyone running the Maestro version 2 on Snow Leopard (10.6.8)?, their website is a little unclear as to whether or not you can.... and I am afraid to update......
I am and its running fine.
As you know though, Maestro and apogee products dont always sync up well and sometimes have glitches still.
Usually turning your interface off and on helps if at first Maestro doesnt pick up an attached hardware unit.
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music View Post
I am and its running fine.
As you know though, Maestro and apogee products dont always sync up well and sometimes have glitches still.
Usually turning your interface off and on helps if at first Maestro doesnt pick up an attached hardware unit.
thanks for the response Led, would you "recommend" going to 2.0 over 1.9? Any added functionality, less glitches etc? and I agree, power cycling can be important on this unit!!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search