New Reply
Subscribe
Gumbie
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear interested

ProTools 10 vs Cubase 6.5

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any experience running pro tools 10 or Cubase 6.5 on a Windows 7 system? I currently have a AlienWare Desktop with all the bells and whistle; it's a processing beast. Reason I'm mentioning this is because I also have Pro Tools 8 M Powered and it amazes me how this program is able to cripple my PC. Seriously it's the worst DAW I've used. I've gotten some recommendations to check out Cubase, When Pro Tools works I like it but it's really wasn't designed for PC.
Any suggestions?
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Pro Tools 10 runs great on a Windows 7 machine here
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I also have pt 8 mpowered.

I prefer cubase 6.5 because its a great medium between logic and protools.

Meaning its get strong at audio editing,tracking and mixing.

It's also very strong with composing with MIDI.

I actually have logic9,protools 8 and cubase 6.5.

Cubase is the mist versatile trust me.plus logic and protools use a mix engine,which cause the machine to pause when performing different task.

Mix engine re-allocate CPU cores when switching from track to track(i hate it)(its slow).

Using is my more fluent and glitch free.

Cubase vst also handle Plugins much better!

Put cubase on that nice laptop you have and watch how you notice a more speedier and more powerful system.

Good luck..

Sent from my PC36100
Gumbie
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys I'm definitely leaning towards Cubase
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012

Niether Garageband!
it's the best DAW ever made!
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012

pro trolls
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Gear nut

protools users do not answer this thread cause they're working with their DAW..

mine is Cubase 6 btw..
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Got both here, using RME FF800 interface on Win 7 64-bit...

PT9 was really stable on my system. PT10 isn't - lots of digital pops and glitches. Lots of plug-ins causing it to hang. Not seen too many others reporting this, but worth being aware.

Cubase 5 and 6 were a bit buggy, but Cubase 6.5 is nice and stable. Just try to avoid closing the project using the little cross in the top right of you window, as that seems to make it hang — use the menu instead and you're fine. It's really looking like a nice DAW now.

Got Reaper on there, too. Well worth looking at, though for me it's still a bit buggy for big mix projects. Can't abide any of the GUIs either - even the PT or Cubendo-alike skins! A fine tracking system, though.

Also tried Studio One. Really nice, really stable — but the editing functions (particularly grouping fades etc) are a bit lacking for me.

Also worth looking at, depending on what you want to do, are Samplitude, and SADiE native.
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
Got both here, using RME FF800 interface on Win 7 64-bit...

PT9 was really stable on my system. PT10 isn't - lots of digital pops and glitches. Lots of plug-ins causing it to hang. Not seen too many others reporting this, but worth being aware.

Cubase 5 and 6 were a bit buggy, but Cubase 6.5 is nice and stable. Just try to avoid closing the project using the little cross in the top right of you window, as that seems to make it hang — use the menu instead and you're fine. It's really looking like a nice DAW now.

Got Reaper on there, too. Well worth looking at, though for me it's still a bit buggy for big mix projects. Can't abide any of the GUIs either - even the PT or Cubendo-alike skins! A fine tracking system, though.

Also tried Studio One. Really nice, really stable — but the editing functions (particularly grouping fades etc) are a bit lacking for me.

Also worth looking at, depending on what you want to do, are Samplitude, and SADiE native.
i just realized that cubase does hang if i usd the red x to close it.
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

'base all the way!
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Been using nothing but Cubase 6.5 lately. Really is a great DAW. That said, I can't stand the way it handles 'takes'. Especially for MIDI tracks. If they could just get a proper playlist type function and bring the mixer up to date I would be one happy DAW camper.
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012

Do you mean how you have to cut the unused MIDI space after the last MIDI note played?

Sent from my PC36100
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
I own and use both PT 10 and Cubase 6.5 on Win 7 64 bit. Both are stable on my system but Cubase is vastly more efficient CPU wise for track count, effects plugins and softsynths.

Of course that isn't the only thing that counts. It depends on what you do with your DAW. For post-production, Pro Tools wins. For bands tracking (and everything related) both are quite close but I would say that PT HD, or regular PT with the CPTK add-on, wins (but is significantly more expensive). For composing or any kind of electronic music production, Cubase wins by far.

Alistair

"There's a sucker born every minute" -- P.T. Barnum
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Protege

cubase for windows 7 definitely
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Gear nut

Always the same. If you're more an editor guy, definitely ProTooms. If you're more a composing dude, definitely Cubams.
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

A non-topic IMO. You will just get personal opinions, which are based on own needs. PT8 was not made for Win7 so you can't use that to make a decision.

We tested both applications on Windows 7 extensively, and offer rock solid turnkey systems for both. While both have their strenghts and weaknesses, I would only decide on what DAW to use depending on my workflow and main use of the workstation.

BTW: lots of comments on PT errors, but this has more to do with system setup and compatibility than PT being a bad application. We have no issues with it at all.

Gumbie
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for all the Input.I need something that's intuitive yet not overly complex. I want to start tracking with my band. I liked pro Tools editing functions but I also want to do midi type synth stuff but want it all to sound HQ. Both AVID and Steinbergs website have 30 day free trials of their top tier programs so I think i'll demo them both and see which one meets my needs best.
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I own and use both PT 10 and Cubase 6.5 on Win 7 64 bit. Both are stable on my system but Cubase is vastly more efficient CPU wise for track count, effects plugins and softsynths.

Of course that isn't the only thing that counts. It depends on what you do with your DAW. For post-production, Pro Tools wins. For bands tracking (and everything related) both are quite close but I would say that PT HD, or regular PT with the CPTK add-on, wins (but is significantly more expensive). For composing or any kind of electronic music production, Cubase wins by far.

Alistair
Wow Im glad someone else is saying this.

Been using Cubase since SE/SX3...only got PT10 so I could learn the "industry standard" and I kinda hate it. CPU HUNGRY, stability issues, freezing, wont open songs, POPS N CLICKS. People like to say, "well its your system, because PT10 works fine on my system"...maybe true, but Cubase 6.5 "works fine on my system" :P

75% of my comments in the DUC are "why this...." or "why that..." lol. People have even responded with "Pro Tools is a finicky b*tch" <----true that

If ur doing ANYTHING MIDI, I suggest u go with Cubase...its like walking in the park IMO. Pro Tools wont even let u "stack" ur takes so u can comp different parts

Anyways, I dont even know what all the post-production or editing benefits are of Pro Tools, I've done SOME post-prod but TONS of editing in Cubase and don't feel limited. Honestly, I dont want to sound bitter....but what are these advantages if someone would like to elaborate?

But basically I came here cuz a Google search for "Pro Tools 10 Cubase cpu usage" lead me here

https://soundcloud.com/jasonlees/thinkn-about-u-25a-101413-l1-1?in=jasonlees/sets/demos-1
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Wow Im glad someone else is saying this.

Been using Cubase since SE/SX3...only got PT10 so I could learn the "industry standard" and I kinda hate it. CPU HUNGRY, stability issues, freezing, wont open songs, POPS N CLICKS. People like to say, "well its your system, because PT10 works fine on my system"...maybe true, but Cubase 6.5 "works fine on my system" :P
Actually, he's saying PT IS stable on his system. I don't know what computer you have, but it's 100% stable here too..and on every rig I set up.

Quote:
75% of my comments in the DUC are "why this...." or "why that..." lol. People have even responded with "Pro Tools is a finicky b*tch" <----true that
Many on the DUC are guys in the same boat as you of course... the true experts are few and far between.

Quote:
If ur doing ANYTHING MIDI, I suggest u go with Cubase...its like walking in the park IMO. Pro Tools wont even let u "stack" ur takes so u can comp different parts
I'd agree with that - although PT lets you stack individual takes, it doesn't handle controllers that well - there's just one lane for all.

Quote:
Anyways, I dont even know what all the post-production or editing benefits are of Pro Tools, I've done SOME post-prod but TONS of editing in Cubase and don't feel limited. Honestly, I dont want to sound bitter....but what are these advantages if someone would like to elaborate?
if you're happy and don't need to work in other studios, stick to what you like! I personally love the audio handling in PT...the way it's 1 lane per track, no multiple audio objects, single window for everything...but that's me.

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Actually, he's saying PT IS stable on his system.
Ooops! I was referring to him saying that PT10 was more CPU hungry than Cubase....that was all.

To everything else u said....CHEERS!
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore View Post
Niether Garageband!
it's the best DAW ever made!
If your a logic user, you can get used to that quote. ..
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Got Cubase 6.5 and PT10 on Mac and PC...
Logic on Mac....
I am a pro Cubase guy and have used all types of Cubase on all including Atari...lol
PT10 is very stable on PC..Cubase kicks butt on PC...PT10 kicks butt on Mac and Cubase is fantastic on Mac..
In other-words, they all work well. Just assess the usage and what you want to do. To me, Cubase is a creators/producers toy and has fun tools as well as a good mixing engine. Protools is the Engineers dream, especially for mixing.
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Got Cubase 6.5 and PT10 on Mac and PC...
Logic on Mac....
I am a pro Cubase guy and have used all types of Cubase on all including Atari...lol
PT10 is very stable on PC..Cubase kicks butt on PC...PT10 kicks butt on Mac and Cubase is fantastic on Mac..
In other-words, they all work well. Just assess the usage and what you want to do. To me, Cubase is a creators/producers toy and has fun tools as well as a good mixing engine. Protools is the Engineers dream, especially for mixing.

They all work well, just about what makes you feel more comfortable.
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitscat View Post
They all work well, just about what makes you feel more comfortable.
... are you agreeing with me or advising me? either way, all is good! I think your words almost the same as mine
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Used them all.

Cubase 6.5 is king of the crop for me, Steinberg is definitely of a roll these days, if they can add VCA style fader groups and linked automation in Cubase 7 then .... for me, Cubase will be the perfect DAW and being a more Windows orientated DAW is also working well for me considering the direction Apple is taking things these days.

tht
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
... are you agreeing with me or advising me? either way, all is good! I think your words almost the same as mine
Trying to say that whichever you feel more comfortable with, will help you write and work, and that's why you're doing it, right?

So, if you think you like PT or Cubase, go for that one. Do it, don't look back, learn it, don't quit till you do, and you'll be working. Then, you can look at other programs if you want, but they all do basically the same things, but in different ways with different GUI's so, whatever looks better for you.

Next, and this should not dissuade you, however more users in the world use Cubase. More Pro's use Pro tools in studios. There are plenty of Pro's using Cubase, however more on Pro Tools. Don't want a war.

Anyway, it's art, do what you feel best about.
Good luck and if I can help, no worries, hit me up.
Thanks
Scott
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitscat View Post
Trying to say that whichever you feel more comfortable with, will help you write and work, and that's why you're doing it, right?

So, if you think you like PT or Cubase, go for that one. Do it, don't look back, learn it, don't quit till you do, and you'll be working. Then, you can look at other programs if you want, but they all do basically the same things, but in different ways with different GUI's so, whatever looks better for you.

Next, and this should not dissuade you, however more users in the world use Cubase. More Pro's use Pro tools in studios. There are plenty of Pro's using Cubase, however more on Pro Tools. Don't want a war.

Anyway, it's art, do what you feel best about.
Good luck and if I can help, no worries, hit me up.
Thanks
Scott
Hi Scott
I did not post the thread nor am I the OP.. I was advising the OP just like you. I have no confusion whatsoever. As mentioned, I have all three and use all three based on clients. However, as mentioned, Cubase is my go-to and I have been using it since the Atari days. I do like PT as well. It works on certain projects for me. Again, no confusion here, but thanks anyways!!
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear nut

26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Protools is the Engineers dream, especially for mixing.
I'm on C6.5 & PT10....but just learning PT10. Can u elaborate on this? How is PT better for mixing than C6.5 and how is it the "engineers dream"?

I hope I dont sound antagonistic...I really would just like to know the differences

Are there 3 key points that make PT superior at mixing than C6.5?

THANKS!!!
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Cubase 6.5.4 Nuff said!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search