Best DAW/Audio Interface for $1500
New Reply
Subscribe
massergy
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Gear interested

Best DAW/Audio Interface for $1500

Hey Slutz! Greetings from Texas. Making my first post to your forum.

Ready to retire my BOSS digital recorder and move into laptop recording and would love some help spending $1500.

Gear: Moog LP, Virus Ti2, Blofeld keyboard, Triton Studio, Eventide Space, Pigtronix Echolution, M Audio SP-5B monitors, Lenovo Thinkpad T410 w/ Intel i7/firewire 400/eSATA ports.

Music: ambient/space/experimental/classical

Learning curve: I have no children, a very supportive wife and plenty of time to get familiar with a set-up.

Looking for recommendations on audio interface and DAW. No instruments or voices to record...only the synths/effects pedals. Portability is not a concern. A professional demo is the goal.

Been considering the usual suspects...PT10, Steinberg, MBox, MOTU, etc. Sweetwater rep recommended the PT10/MBox Pro bundle but any suggestions would mean a lot. Thanks!

Last edited by massergy; 15th September 2012 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: replace title
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

Metric Halo ULN-2. It's on sale through tomorrow. If you need more than two inputs, the 2882 is also very good. Mac only. It's much more than an interface as it also includes an 80 bit summing bus, plugins, etc.

Welcome to Metric Halo
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

Metric Halo ULN-2. Hands down leader in that range.

ULN-2
massergy
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Gear interested

I'm tied down to windows for now, but I appreciate the quick responses. Is there a PC equivalent?

Side note: Need interface and DAW to come in under $1500 together. Thanks, guys.
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massergy View Post
I'm tied down to windows for now, but I appreciate the quick responses. Is there a PC equivalent?

Side note: Need interface and DAW to come in under $1500 together. Thanks, guys.
RME Fireface UC for about $1,300 + Reaper $60
If you don't need to record more than two channels of audio at the same time, you can save some money and get RME Babyface for about $700. The sound quality and the excellent drivers are the same.

RME: Fireface UC
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits
RME: Babyface
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

RME Fireface UCX for small and portable. Really... it doesn't get much better. Especially for the price. And the drivers are excellent and super stable.

15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Gear addict

I got a friend with same desire as you the RME UC and he is dead happy.

The RME pres are very good for an interface , convertors great and It is stable and works well under windows Win 7 commercial edition which has been stripped of all bloat and extra processes

In my setup I use the larger UFX in addition to 8 channels Apogee.

I use Apogee as master clock for mine. and monitor through Apogee too.

I have used the RME pres which are going through the interface itself for A/D not the Apogee on my own recordings and this is a great sound.

Not as good as Great River or Sebatron via Apogee of course but they are still clean, full and professional.

Any of the new range of RME is a good choice
The above "words" are the ramblings of a depraved megalomaniac.Any similarity to normal communication is a hallucination on the part of the reader.Replying to this post will result in your Wife, family and posessions including any audio equipment you may own becoming the property of funkynuts.
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Gear maniac

well, the audio interface just needs half a dozen inputs, you should be able to get one for around $500.
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS

Do you need all those synths plugged in at the same time?

The best DAW is Ableton Live, you could buy Sampler as well for that price.

MacAbleton
Free Ableton Live tutorials and resources, Mac tutorials, plus mouse-free computing.
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Gear nut

You should check a MOTU/Digital Performer combo. Integration like nowhere else, realtime (near zero latency) monitoring with fx while tracking, monitoring reflects the mix's settings, and so on..
15th September 2012
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

For daw try out all of them, or at least a bunch: Reaper, Ableton Live, Studio one, Cubase.
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear nut

Welcome to the forum. Very happy with my RME UC/ Reaper/ Macbook Pro. Super sable, excellent conversion. I have a nice selection of mic pres that I usually reach for instead of the ones built in to the RME, but the RME pres are clean, quiet, have adequate gain and are perfectly usable. All in all, I'd have to sat the RME is one of the better buys I've made.
massergy
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear interested

Great suggestions, guys.

No, I don't really need all my synths plugged in at the same time...actually, I really just need two line level inputs, two outs for monitors and a headphone in.

Was looking at the TC Konnekt 6 but I'm concerned about compatibility issues with Windows 7 64 bit.

Babyface seems very interesting. I understand it's USB only. Could there be latency?

Any slutz have experience with the MOTU 16 channel?

Again, thanks for all of the replies.

Last edited by massergy; 16th September 2012 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
massergy
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear interested

Ok...looking at RME products now. Great call on RME.

Finger is on trigger...
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Quote:
Great suggestions, guys.

No, I don't really need all my synths plugged in at the same time...actually, I really just need two line level inputs, two outs for monitors and a headphone in.

Was looking at the TC Konnekt 6 but I'm concerned about compatibility issues with Windows 7 64 bit.

Babyface seems very interesting. I understand it's USB only. Could there be latency?

I have the dekstop konnekt 6 and its the best audio interface I have use don win7 64 bit running 32 bit cubase 6.5.4... rock solid never had a crash or audio drop! My old interfaces were m audio pro something and the motu lite... konnekt 6 kills them both in sound and desktop function... the only diff from you is i do not record in at all.
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great suggestions, guys.
Babyface has superb latency figures, comparable to any FW interface. If you don't need more than two audio inputs, it's a no brainer (*) Plus it's bus-powered (unlike the other RME interfaces mentioned), which means no hassle if you use it outside with a laptop.

(*) Consider that it has an ADAT port and the inputs can be expanded via multiple-preamp unit, in case later you change mind about having only two inputs.
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Great suggestions, guys.

MOTU 16 does not have good Windows drivers and the conversion and pres are not as good as the Babyface. I wouldn't get it. Get the Babyface, it is a great option.

As for DAW, I like Studio One, however, I also think Reaper is a great DAW. For electronic music, I hear Ableton is quite good, but it is also expensive.

Good Luck!

A: The one with a good musician in front of it!

Last edited by Bunjji; 16th September 2012 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: Punctuation!
massergy
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear interested

All right, it's gonna be a babyface/reaper combo with enough $$ left over for an ext. hard drive and MAYBE a moogerfooger to boot. Sorry, I'm not taking suggestions on the left over funds!

I appreciate every reply. Thanks, Slutz.
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

good choices. I hope you enjoy your new set up. check out groove3.com for reaper tutorials also there is a YouTube channel that has free tutorials. the software is pretty basic but can do a lot if you learn all of the keyboard short cuts.

Sent from my LG-P925
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Great suggestions, guys.

I had a TC, it was nice but it broke or something early on, there was some issue with it anyway, so I got the Audio Kontrol. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a TC. I don't know about compatibility. Ask the manufacturer.
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear maniac

I appreciate that you get what you pay for with audio interfaces, but I must point out that the same can be said for DAWs too. I'm not disputing that Reaper is great value, but it's not even a kid brother to Live, more like a baby brother.

What is the difference in latency between a Babyface and something cheaper anyway?

It seems very odd to get an expensive interface and a DAW that is mainly for audio and very basic in terms of it's effects and features for someone using Midi.

When I went from Reaper/Reason to Live it was like getting off a moped and getting into a Porsche.
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Gear maniac

17th September 2012
Old 17th September 2012
Gear maniac

Having heard from massergy a bit about the way he works, which is more or less using the DAW as a tape recorder, I think he has made the right choice actually in this instance. Reaper is certainly good for recording.
17th September 2012
Old 17th September 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyda View Post
I appreciate that you get what you pay for with audio interfaces, but I must point out that the same can be said for DAWs too. I'm not disputing that Reaper is great value, but it's not even a kid brother to Live, more like a baby brother.
Really depends on what you're doing doesn't it? FOR YOU this might be the case...for someone else, it might not be.

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
17th September 2012
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
running my konnekt 6 with cubase no issues in 2 years
18th September 2012
Old 18th September 2012
Gear interested

You cannot go wrong with RME. I've never had any type of problem whatsoever with their stuff.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Gear nut

I don't know the last thing about interfaces (I seem to forget that after two interfaces that are just awful and useless), but Ableton Live suite is a great DAW. I HIGHLY recommend it.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Anything MOTU is hghly recommended, sound quality-, compability- and future proof wise... AND warranty wise..
Check out the quality tests here and elsewhere.
MOTU scores no 1. This means both audio interfaces and Digital Performer (DAW).

MOTU.com - Welcome to MOTU Audio
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 8.05, LogicPro 9.1.8, Wavelab 8, MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, Sonnox, Sonalksis, McDSP, UAD2 Quad, SSD/VCC/VTM/FG-X, Melda, Mäag, P&M. Lexicon PCM Bundle, AbbeyRoad, LiquidMix, NomadFactory, SoundToys, DSM, EWQL S-Orchestra & Piano Gold, EZDrm, AAS, MOTU ElectricKeys etc. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, SSL Buss comp, TK BC-1 MK2 Buss comp, GAP PRE73, Lexicon PCM91, TC, FMR RNC. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7 >40 mics.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji View Post
MOTU 16 does not have good Windows drivers and the conversion and pres are not as good as the Babyface. I wouldn't get it. Get the Babyface, it is a great option.

As for DAW, I like Studio One, however, I also think Reaper is a great DAW. For electronic music, I hear Ableton is quite good, but it is also expensive.

Good Luck!

LOL.. sorry, but I can´t stop myself now, I need to speak up. Product Police talking:

The MOTU 16 tracks and many other MOTU interfaces like the Ultralite, 24 I/O. 2408MK3, 828MK3 etc, do all top sound quality tests done by the pros. (like; the Swedish radio broadcast company did a large quality and audio test and ended up buying hundereds of MOTU Ultralite interfaces.)
Google it and you get some nice results of similar tests.

Got that straightened out now. Phew..
Please, keep it true.
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal View Post
Anything MOTU is hghly recommended, sound quality-, compability- and future proof wise... AND warranty wise..
Check out the quality tests here and elsewhere.
MOTU scores no 1. This means both audio interfaces and Digital Performer (DAW).

MOTU.com - Welcome to MOTU Audio
I agree with all this^ I would get a MOTU interface and DP 8. DP is one THE best DAWs out there, their interfaces are excellent, and for the stuff you do it's perfect.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search