Originally Posted by vrtcl
I do plan on getting more channels of AD/DA as I have a variety of pres/strips... Great River, UA, API, SSL, etc that I would like to have always plugged in instead of the patching/repatching. Cost prohibitive right now
To that I would also appreciate recommendations for at least 8 more channels. No need for pres just great quality conversion... Ideally I wish UA made a 2198!
I can highly recommend the Lynx Aurora 8.
Actually I've been 'half-bypassing' my Digi 002 with both the UA 2192 and an Aurora 8 for years now.
Just like you, ever since PT 10 I've been planning to get rid of the 002 'hardware dongle' but there are a few reasons why I haven't done so yet:
- As far as I understand, this would mean buying an additional Lynx LT-FW card. But I never really got clear info if that would be the only option and especially what the downside would be (if any).
- Would this setup work with the UA 2192 as master clock and main AD/DA? What about buffer sizes, this is crucial for me because I pretty much stay with Buffer size '32' whenever possible to minimize latency with Pro Tools.
- Haven't you used the built-in preamps of the 002? While I obviously stick with the 2192 and Aurora converters for anything up to 10 channels the 002 preamps and I/O still come in handy for talkback mics or cue mixes, etc.
- That's why I've been keeping the 002 because I don't see any advantage in dumping it except more rack space and less ugliness in the visual department.
- As far as I understand, one big reason for dumping the 002 and getting the corresponding Lynx card would be the possibility of up to 32 inputs as opposed to the 18 channel limit of my current setup (2 x 2192, 8 x Aurora8, 8 x Digi 002)
- So in my case, I'll wait till I can afford more preamps and one more Aurora 8 (or one Aurora 16).
Hope this is helpful.....