Originally Posted by dero
I get this message sometimes when running My projects from a 7200 ext drive.
Logic (and plugs) on the system disc, project files and audio files are on ext disc.
Could be a few things I can think of
1. Do you have a FireWire External? If so is it 400 or 800? And if you have either does it have it's own FW port? If not is it connected to another FireWire device in the recommended order?
2, Filesystem? What's the File
System of you External? (This shouldn't matter too much)
2. Cable (may be faulty)
3. Available Space on the Drive?
4. Size of the largest continuous section of Free Space on the external?
5. Possible fragmentation (Not likely though)
6. Possible "spotlight indexing" enabled (I set this to off -> SYSTEM PREFERENCES -> "SPOTLIGHT" -> OPTION -> PRIVACY -> SELECT the "+" (to ADD the EXT DRIVE to the "PRIVATE" List)
Those are just the top of my head - other things may be at issue.
Though it's a somewhat personal sort of task thing - I do the following (May or May not help)
I keep a spare Single Terabyte drive on hand and when I have time I do this
TRANSFER ALL FILES -> Spare Drive -> ERASE the main EXTERNAL choosing OPTION ERASE FREE SPACE & WRITE ALL ZEROS across the whole DRIVE (you can do this in the DISK UTILITY App) -> COMPLETE PROCESS --> PLACE ALL FODERS BACK TO PRIMARY EXT DRIVE.
You shouldn't have to do the above very often MAYBE once every 3 months or so.
Can't really lose it's a fresh start for your drive.