Best iPad DAW
New Reply
Subscribe
mike e.t.
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear interested

Best iPad DAW

I recently purchased the GarageBand app for iPad and was pretty underwhelmed with it. It seemed quite limited in editing options and didn't really have many useful sound manipulation tools; delay, compression, etc

There are a lot of other options out there as far as daw apps go. What have you used that has impressed you?
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear nut

20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear maniac

GarageBand is 1/10th the price by the way LOL.. Over here it's GarageBand for soft synths, beatmaker 2 for samples (and feeding midi to hardware synths ) and auria at mixdown. The trio of power!
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Head

Auria looks pretty amazing in the demo videos. How much do the extra plugins cost?

If it works with some great interfaces (Duet 2 doesn't work), this could be a great way to record.
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear maniac

The most expensive one is the fancy EQ at 29.00, but most are 9.99.
They also sell a bunch of IR for the convolution reverb at 5.99 each.
Very very cool
mike e.t.
20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear interested

Ok, that looks very cool. It's funny how $50 seems expensive all of a sudden
22nd July 2012
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

I have project studio in my house and I can tell you that $50 for Auria is absolutely nothing when you consider the cost of other studio equipment and software. For instance Nuendo 5.5 runs well over $2,000. It's amazing what Auria can do for the money, I'm afraid that it now makes Garageband seem like a toy and Apple needs to revamp it completely. GB is great for putting down song ideas quickly though.
Portland, OR
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey222 View Post
I have project studio in my house and I can tell you that $50 for Auria is absolutely nothing when you consider the cost of other studio equipment and software. For instance Nuendo 5.5 runs well over $2,000. It's amazing what Auria can do for the money, I'm afraid that it now makes Garageband seem like a toy and Apple needs to revamp it completely. GB is great for putting down song ideas quickly though.
Same here... I don't get how folks think its expensive! Granted the $49.99 is an introductory price, but like you say it's absolutely amazing at double the price even!
25th February 2014
Old 25th February 2014
Gear addict

How about interfaces?
25th February 2014
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

Has anyone priced out Auria and all in app AUDIO plug in purchases?

I know Fab Filter has most of their stuff available...how do they compare with the VST versions? I ask because Saturn was one of the largest CPU hogs I've used....on my C2Q--far more dsp than an iPad...do they disable the overampling? Or allow you to eat the whole iPad CpU with it and just freeze it? Or be super nifty and use "non Hq" for live and switch to upsampling for any freeze action? That not a bad idea. Glad I had it.

Anyway--they don't have a demo...right? They should make like a free 8trk version or something--something where you can get in and play with the interface...see what's available as in app purchases...demo the plug quality, etc. I've been meaning to get a Camera Kit to start to play with it...but, be nicer to simply import some tracks into whatever limited version to play...see what the real cost would be.
Older archives:
My work--now available in linear PCM for download!
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

I've been trying to work out how it might be possible to bounce out audio from Maschine into Auria seeing as there's no USB port... Feel like I'm missing something really obvious but can't quite work it out... (?)
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

A small warning for those looking to buy Auria - it is presently unusable on Ipad 3. It is incredibly laggy and crashes often. This is when simply recording or playing back one or two audio tracks with no effects engaged.

I wasted $50 on that DAW due to the rave reviews, don't make the same mistake if you're on Ipad 3.

I would also note that the workflow is horrible ( something which is not really mentioned in the reviews for some reason). There is a lot of unnecessary finger tapping required when tracking compared to Cubasis.

Cubasis is a better DAW on all fronts, except with regards to built-in effects ( which are unusable on Auria in any event, making that a moot point).

Hopefully this will get fixed with an update at some point.
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManProducer View Post
I've been trying to work out how it might be possible to bounce out audio from Maschine into Auria seeing as there's no USB port... Feel like I'm missing something really obvious but can't quite work it out... (?)
You need to bounce your audio to wav's in Maschine and then place them in drop box ( install the drop box app on your Ipad). You can then import the tracks in Auria.
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

What's the deal with the iPad3? Is it specific to the 3? It was introduced for the 2....which is still for sale new from Apple in several forms--the 3 WAS just a very brief thing in tech....they moved to selling the 2&4...and now the Air&2.

The import/export issues with ithings means I won't use it as a full time DAW...they'll need to fix that else Surface will own them. I'm not uploading 96khz WAVs to Dropbox to get them in/out...but, that'll be fixed by someone.

It's not mature tech...but, if Auria has a head start on multitouch--they can port to Surface/Win8 very easily...and potentially own that. Sonar's multitouch it ********. They won't EVER move fast enough. That's the issue with the mature mouse/key apps--they will need to alienate a lot of people to move fast enough to keep up with something built for multitouch from the ground up. How many Sonar users would be pissed if the next version was redesigned for multitouch ONLY? That's what has to happen. Cubase and them are incrementing it...Cubase's new inappropriately huge colorful carton looking mixer? Is their first steps....and why I'm not moving from v6 until they're done and this is mature.
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
What's the deal with the iPad3? Is it specific to the 3? It was introduced for the 2....which is still for sale new from Apple in several forms--the 3 WAS just a very brief thing in tech....they moved to selling the 2&4...and now the Air&2.
I noted that I was on was Ipad 3, since the subsequent models are more powerful and Auria may not have the same performance issues there.
26th February 2014
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post

The import/export issues with ithings means I won't use it as a full time DAW...they'll need to fix that else Surface will own them.

It's not mature tech...but, if Auria has a head start on multitouch--they can port to Surface/Win8 very easily...and potentially own that. Sonar's multitouch it ********. T
1) file management is an irritating part of the Ipad.

2) Auria has major problems, they aren't ahead of the curve on anything. It is riddled with bugs, it has terrible UI choices and it doesn't run well. The included effects and third party effects are great, but the actual DAW is not. They have major issues to sort out on ios before they take on any other platform.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search