what's m audio project mix like with pro tools?
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Head

what's m audio project mix like with pro tools?

hi guys,

have read some good things about the project mix on here and it looks pretty cool to me. just wondering if there's any known problems with protools 7 at all?

thanks
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have to say that I personally would never buy a ProjectMix... they seem shoddily built to me, and if Pro Tools is the way you want to go, you should at least consider going for LE instead of M-Powered. There is some functionality missing from M-Powered that you may need, and that exist in LE.

I see the reason people want to like the ProjectMix; its a mixer/control surface with I/O and moving faders, etc... but after I demoed one I was disappointed in the build of the unit which seemed like a cheap toy.

If you can afford it, go for a 002R and get a Command 8 as your controller. The command 8 is compatible with all forms of Pro Tools including HD so if you upgrade in the future you already have a great control surface designed exclusively for Pro Tools. The only bitching I have to mention about this unit (the command 8) is that, for some inexplicable reason, Digidesign decided there should be 8 faders on the board and NO MASTER FADER!! whatsupwitdat??? There need to be NINE faders for this to truly be proper.....

Anyway make sure you demo before you buy. I have had bad experiences with just about every M-Audio product, and even though they are now owned by Avid (parent company to Digidesign) I haven't seen them stepping their products up a notch quite yet....

Happy hunting,

J.D.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Head

thanks for the reply jd. i've been using an mbox2 with 7.0 and have just thought about a few more inputs and a control surface. i've seen a few project mix units going farly cheaply and thought that might be the way to go. what about using the project mix with le rather than m-powered?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul
what about using the project mix with le rather than m-powered?
I am not sure that this is possible.. I am not certain about that but I think you can only run LE with the actual Digidesign interfaces (Mbox, 002). I am assuming that the ProjectMix wouldn't be recognized by LE even though you have LE installed on your system.

Have you ever tried starting Pro Tools LE without your Mbox connected?? It doesn't work; the program wont even open....

But I could be wrong; be sure to check out M-Audio's Website..

J.D.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul
what about using the project mix with le rather than m-powered?
This is not possible. Note that if you're gonna buy the projectmix you would have to buy m-powered too.

I personally haven't had any bad experiences with the projectmix at all, for me it's been a good deal so far. Just make sure you use a powerfull computer cause that is an even important part of your system too..

good luck.
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Head

Thanks guys. Yeh i'll have to read up on the diffs between mpowered and le. To be honest my step up from mbox2 with 7.0 was going to be a 002rack and maybe the behringer control surface (price is a consideration for me). I can get by with the inputs on the mbox2 but always keen to make a step up here and there. Obviously the 002 factory (control surface all in one) would be ideal but any i've seen have been out of my price range whereas i've seen a few of the projectmix units. If mpowered is cool for me to use then it might be a goer. apppreciate the help guys.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear interested

I have owned the Command|8 and the PMix.

I thought they were both of the same extremely high build quality.

I did not miss a thing going from the C|8 to the PMix, except maybe being stuck with a controller that only worked well in Pro Tools. Actually, no, I don't miss that at all.

The PMix is a great product. At least, don't worry about the build quality.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search