Kontakt 5 vs. Komplete 8: what to get?
New Reply
Subscribe
Quasar
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear nut

Kontakt 5 vs. Komplete 8: what to get?

As I already have Kontakt 2 and Guitar Rig 2, I'm thinking the $119 purchase of Kontakt 5 and the included 43GB of samples might be a better use of limited funds than the $399 Komplete 8, and the extra $280 would be better spent elsewhere.

Thoughts would be appreciated re:

Is Guitar Rig 5 a huge upgrade over Guitar Rig 2?

Is the included Kontakt 5 Orchestral, World, Band and Choir fairly useful or frustratingly limited?

The thing is, I know I want Kontakt 5 one way or the other. I just don't know if the extra stuff that comes with Komplete 8 is worth the extra money. I don't need oodles of electronic beats or anything, and I already have a slew of other sample libraries, synths et al, though none of them are of the really expensive, top-shelf variety...
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

it really depends on what you need, to me Komplete 8 was completely worth it, even just with Kontakt alone, you'll get all the expansions that don't come with Kontakt plus all the synths

I haven't even had time to explore all the synths or everything that comes in Reaktor
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

I was looking for just Kontakt on Sweetwater but nothing there, only libraries for it.
I did see the prices you mention on NI's site, is that really the only place where one can buy standalone Kontakt?
For $199 I'm jumping on this. Offer ends July 7!!

Where did you find Komplete 8 for $399?
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Is the included Kontakt 5 Orchestral, World, Band and Choir fairly useful or frustratingly limited?
Nope! It's extremely useful if you know your way around. A sample library is, in most cases, always as bad - or good - as its user.

If I may bang my own drum:

Scoring with NI Komplete 8 - Orchestral Arrangement - YouTube

and one of the Grands in Komplete 8:
Kontakt_Piano.ogg

Guitar Rig 5 comes with a lot of very handy stuff - verbs, compressors etc. - not just for guitar stuff!
Especially considering that NI are trying to make their own effects lab with Guitar Rig (see included ReflektoR convolution reverb etc).
Quasar
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Where did you find Komplete 8 for $399?
Only at the NI site. If you have an account with them you can login and they will tell you what crossgrade or upgrade discounts you qualify for. For me, I get Kontakt for $119 and Komplete for $399 as a current Kontakt 2 owner. Their current 50% 10 year sale AFAIK doesn't have anything to do with this.

I've only seen K8 for $499 everywhere else.
Quasar
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear nut

5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

I have guitar rig 4 and it's soooo much better than 2. for me even going to 3 was a huge jump.

I'll get GR 5 eventually, but to answer your question, yes 5 will be a big step up...

http://www.associatedminds.com
http://www.twitter.com/ed_boogie
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Quite nice, thanks! I have Miroslav, and this is no doubt a step up. I suppose my question would be: How much of the above would you have been able to do with the 43GB Kontakt 5 library only? As opposed to the 110GB Komplete 8 library?
I'll be honest with you: That was my first tryout the very day I got Komplete 8. The only thing that didn't come from Kontakt was Guitar Rig 5 running Reflektor. And even that I replaced (since it eats CPU cycles like crazy) now with ReaVerb running Bricasti's M7 IRs.

The factory library in Kontakt is pretty good, especially the orchestral one. A shame they didn't actually include the whole VSL Opus 1+2 (anybody willing to sell theirs? ). The "legacy" instruments are where it's at (in the demo I only used the "normal" instruments), they got some very nice legato samples in there.
The rest of the factory library is still decent, but I personally wouldn't miss the other Kontakt libraries in Komplete 8, like the Session Drummer or the West Africa drums. The pianos can be nice if you tweak the sound with a little eq and verb, but there's better (and cheaper) Kontakt libraries out there. And with Komplete 8 I don't need to worry if I need some synthie/guitar work for my film/game scores.

So it really depends - what kind of music are you going for with Kontakt?
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear addict

Since Komplete includes Absynth, Massive, FM8, Alicia's Keys (I think? maybe not) and of course Reaktor, I think it's well worth the extra cash if you can spare it.

That said, Kontakt 5 is the most indispensable plug-in of them all, for me. Guitar Rig is the one I use the least..

"Don't ever let the position of a control or the activity of a meter have any influence whatsoever on what you end up choosing. Close your eyes if you need to, and just move it around until it feels right. Open your eyes, note the position without judgment, and move on. And if you ever hear a voice that says "I shouldn't have to set it that high/low/up/down/whatever", thank that voice for stopping by and promptly ignore it." (Gregory Scott - ubk)
Quasar
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accall View Post
So it really depends - what kind of music are you going for with Kontakt?
Thanks, Accall, for the honest and lucid reviews. It's not really a question of "kind" of music, since this is a new century with new media, and my artistic aspirations (in short form) have to do with taking traditional forms of music and creating new music that "quotes" or otherwise alludes to them.

My stock answer to the Q "What kind of music do you like?" is Mahler, Puccini, Celtic Folk, Woody Guthrie and Jefferson Airplane. I'm not a fan of the gimmicky in-your-face soundscapes you hear on TV commercials and action films, although some of them are sonically interesting... I work mainly in so-called bread & butter instruments emulated via MIDI keyboard, but the point isn't to replicate an 1885 orchestra, a 1930s Appalachian string band or a 1967 psychedelic rock group so much as it is to contextually embed such music in a way that fully acknowledges the digital age, the time, place and tools from which the music is being created today...

... I have an MO6, which may render much of the Komplete 8 package unnecessary too, but much prefer the workflow of loading soft sounds in Reaper's FX bins without having to navigate through the arcane menus of the hardware workstation.

I would just order the K5 today, but then I'm committed (more or less) to not going the Komplete route, since I've already thrown that money in another direction. On the other hand, I don't want to waste what little money I have on a bunch of gimmicky apps and sounds I do not need and will never use. It's a conundrum.
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

If you can - go for Komplete 8. It's the best price/performance package on the market, for sure. I got it, and even if I don't use absolutely everything in it, it's worth for the synths alone (heck, Reaktor has THOUSANDS)!
5th July 2012
Old 5th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
If you can - go for Komplete 8. It's the best price/performance package on the market, for sure. I got it, and even if I don't use absolutely everything in it, it's worth for the synths alone (heck, Reaktor has THOUSANDS)!
This is my philosophy, and the route I'll likely take in the next year or so. I'm just waiting to see if they discount the crossgrade even more deeply (I have Maschine) or come out with K9.

I don't care for many of the included products, though it's always nice to have options, but the ones I do care about are why I'm buying it. Unless you only want Kontakt and know for a fact that you will never, EVER need anything else, I suggest going for Komplete.
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and bought the Komplete 8 for $399, so now I get to wait for the mail!

Hey EvilDragon, do you run Reaper 64 when using this stuff? I have both version on the machine but have been running 32 because so many plugs are 32 bit, but hope to eventually remove the memory ceiling...
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Hey EvilDragon, do you run Reaper 64 when using this stuff? I have both version on the machine but have been running 32 because so many plugs are 32 bit, but hope to eventually remove the memory ceiling...
Why not just go ahead and use Reaper x64? It bridges 32 bit plugins just fine. Never had any serious problems with it, just the occasional crashes from certain IK Multimedia plugins...
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Guru

General rule is: as soon as you want more than 2 NI products Komplete is a better deal. Good that you ordered it, the only thing you are going to regret is the installation; reserve 2 hours or so for it to finish
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
General rule is: as soon as you want more than 2 NI products Komplete is a better deal. Good that you ordered it, the only thing you are going to regret is the installation; reserve 2 hours or so for it to finish
I assume that it will be a time-consuming process, but since I'll no doubt have a little of that "kid at Christmas" energy going on, it won't be so bad.
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Guru

When you get it, I recommend installing the Kontakt and Battery libraries on a separate partition, if possible. Regardless of where you put them, after installation; copy those libraries to an external drive.

Why? If you ever find yourself in the situation where you have to reinstall Komplete, you can skip the libraries - just copy them from the backup to their intended location again, open Kontakt on a computer with internet access, and they'll be found and re-authorized again. Saves you lots of time because you can skip a whole load of DVDs.

If you've been planning (for whatever reason) to wipe your computer and start from a clean slate, I'd recommend doing that before you install Komplete .

Also, be prepared for a slew of updates from the NI service center
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, Reaper x64, works splendidly.
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks to a poster on here yesterday,I found out that Komplete 8 Ultimate was only $399.For some reason his threads were deleted.But I want to thank him.

I just checked NI and it says that I was eligible for a crossgrade thanks to buying Kontakt.

So I ordered the K8 Ultimate today for only $399 and I cant wait to get it here.I was so excited that I paid for faster shipping lol.
$399 is the deal of the year for me.You get an Insane amount of sounds and plugins for this price!!!!!I going to have alot of fun with this.

Kontakt is 1 of the most important programs of All-time imo.
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and bought the Komplete 8 for $399, so now I get to wait for the mail!
ouch.

just a day or three before it went on sale for half that... i was kicking around the idea of the crossgrade for the past couple of months myself. glad i waited.
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012

he'll be able to return it, or negotiate a different price.
given that NI is such a machine (this has pros and contras) I think the first option is easiest.
my copy is already here

I've edited the title of the thread, so to avoid it looking like spammy spam.
edit: moved to "new product alert"

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

I've just ordered the crossgrade from Maschine. Couldn't resist.
I was a bit pissed about the huge price drop of Maschine but that 50% discount on Komplete 8 got me back to NI.
I can see myself slowly moving ITB because of this
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddash View Post
Thanks to a poster on here yesterday,I found out that Komplete 8 Ultimate was only $399.For some reason his threads were deleted.But I want to thank him.
Your welcome...

I got a spam warning for that thread... I took one for the team... but people needed to know about those Native Instrument deals.

$199.50 for Komplete 8 is crazy....
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASICE View Post
Your welcome...

I got a spam warning for that thread... I took one for the team... but people needed to know about those Native Instrument deals.
affilliation with NI?
possible!
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
affilliation with NI?
possible!
LOL... no affilliation... just giving you guys a heads up and trying to help you guys save some money.

Next time I come across a great deal I guess I'll have to keep it to myself.
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012

Quote:
LOL... no affilliation... just giving you guys a heads up and trying to help you guys save some money.
you understand now the problem we (moderators) face?
NI and other software companies are known to post as users.
And that's not helping end users get unbiased opinions.
Quote:
Next time I come across a great deal I guess I'll have to keep it to myself.
No please do post, but then do it here:
The Good News Channel - Gearslutz.com

thanks for considering
Quasar
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
ouch.

just a day or three before it went on sale for half that... i was kicking around the idea of the crossgrade for the past couple of months myself. glad i waited.
Ouch is right!

It's coming via UPS today, and I've already called NI and written them without result except for a "ticket number" and a promise that a request be forward to "management".

What should I do?

On the one hand, I can simply open and install Komplete 8:

1) $399 is itself a very good price, and I was OK with it the day I purchased it. (FWIW, there is a biblical story about exactly this, the moral being: Don't resent your deal merely because you've since learned that a better deal was available.)

2) I can start using it right away after it comes. No several weeks of customer support, hassles and waiting.

3) The $199 Komplete 8 crossgrade is until July 31st or however long supplies last, which is of course a backdoor way of closing it down any time.

4) I can still beg NI for mercy and a compromise after I open it, though I lose my leverage at that point. Truth is, though I would really like Session Strings Pro, if they would just throw in the Scarbee Pre I would be ecstatic.

On the other hand:

1) What's to keep me from returning it under their 14 day policy and re-ordering it at the better price immediately? I'm short of cash to do this, (I'm basically a broke hippie drop-out) but have friends who will help me on this one, so either re-ordering K8 for $199 or K8 Ultimate for $399 is doable.

2) Even though I bought this at the price I bought it at, I do believe it's somewhat manipulative to run these various sales right on top of each other. It was the Kontakt deal that got me looking at Komplete again in the first place... NI seems purposely opaque and inapproachable, and you don't build customer loyalty by making people feel like either gamblers or suckers IMO.

So even though I believe it shouldn't bother me that I missed the $199 deal, it does. It seems I have three choices:

a) Open my new package and start using Komplete 8. I have a discount request in already, and NI will either cut me some slack or they won't. I just roll with it. If they offer me a partial refund, I will use some of that money on the Scarbee Pre.

b) Go through the cancellation process, return it and get K8 for $199.

c) Go through the cancellation process, return it and get K8 Ultimate for $399.50...

I'm inclined to option a, but it's a conundrum.
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

is the new "giant" included in komplete?
12th July 2012
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ouch is right!

It's coming via UPS today, and I've already called NI and written them without result except for a "ticket number" and a promise that a request be forward to "management".

What should I do?

On the one hand, I can simply open and install Komplete 8:

1) $399 is itself a very good price, and I was OK with it the day I purchased it. (FWIW, there is a biblical story about exactly this, the moral being: Don't resent your deal merely because you've since learned that a better deal was available.)

2) I can start using it right away after it comes. No several weeks of customer support, hassles and waiting.

3) The $199 Komplete 8 crossgrade is until July 31st or however long supplies last, which is of course a backdoor way of closing it down any time.

4) I can still beg NI for mercy and a compromise after I open it, though I lose my leverage at that point. Truth is, though I would really like Session Strings Pro, if they would just throw in the Scarbee Pre I would be ecstatic.

On the other hand:

1) What's to keep me from returning it under their 14 day policy and re-ordering it at the better price immediately? I'm short of cash to do this, (I'm basically a broke hippie drop-out) but have friends who will help me on this one, so either re-ordering K8 for $199 or K8 Ultimate for $399 is doable.

2) Even though I bought this at the price I bought it at, I do believe it's somewhat manipulative to run these various sales right on top of each other. It was the Kontakt deal that got me looking at Komplete again in the first place... NI seems purposely opaque and inapproachable, and you don't build customer loyalty by making people feel like either gamblers or suckers IMO.

So even though I believe it shouldn't bother me that I missed the $199 deal, it does. It seems I have three choices:

a) Open my new package and start using Komplete 8. I have a discount request in already, and NI will either cut me some slack or they won't. I just roll with it. If they offer me a partial refund, I will use some of that money on the Scarbee Pre.

b) Go through the cancellation process, return it and get K8 for $199.

c) Go through the cancellation process, return it and get K8 Ultimate for $399.50...

I'm inclined to option a, but it's a conundrum.
this is perfectly viable.They are having the sale.They have the return policy.I'd return it and get Ultimate for the same price.

I experienced a bit of "sales buyer remorse over 4th of July I bought a fridge on sale for $800 on July 3rd(40% off) at Sears then saw a slew of the same types (double door for half off...It was only a $100 or so difference but...I could have got Kontakt 5 on sale for with that!! ..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search