New Reply
Subscribe
Clonkified
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Ableton + Launchpad vs. Maschine

Hello,

I just recently bought Ableton Live 8 and a Launchpad. I also got nativeKontrol's LPC for the Launchpad which opens up a huge amount of functionality. I also am trying out midiKatapult for programming the Launchpad for use with other software (such as Geist).

Anyway, I have a Maschine Mikro, which is pretty cool, but for those that have experience with both Maschine and Live + controller, would be interested to know if you prefer the Maschine for anything? I'm thinking it has become redundant for me.

Thanks!
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Well there's a big difference because you have to use the maschine vst software, as opposed to ableton's drum racks, which was a deal breaker for me. I sold my maschine after realizing I couldn't live without the drum racks. If you like the integration then it's a really nice piece of hardware, has a good instrument feel to it. Much nicer than the build of the launchpad. It's just, does it help your workflow or hurt your workflow, that's the question.
Clonkified
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks! Curious - how do you use drum racks specifically and what do they do in your flow over Maschine? I have heard of 128s and that sounds like a great way to integrate a bunch of samples. I don't have Sampler right now, so I've taken another approach of creating "kick" drum racks, "snare" ones, etc. - I think this also is beneficial because then I can swing the hats without touching the kicks for example (since I guess Live applies the groove to the entire MIDI clip, not just individual notes?).
Clonkified
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetres View Post
Huh? Many people use Maschine and Ableton together. It's not an either/or thing. You don't have to use Maschine as a plugin to use both and you don't have to stop using Drum Racks either.
True you can have both, but my question was do you need both or does one replace the other for the most part (especially with the help of things like LPC)?
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
Stabby Stabby

Launchpad has no Velocity sensitivity, Maschines hardware can be used as a controller with velocity and you can use the sounds inside drum rack.
Audio Technica AT4060 --> Focusrite Liquid Channel --> Focusrite Saffire pro24 --> Sabertooth X79 --> 3930K 3.2GHZ OC'D to 4.7GHZ --> 16GB Ram --> Windows 7 X64 / Hackintosh --> Midi Controllers --> Phonic P6A
http://www.soundcloud.com/exile-1

https://soundcloud.com/exile-1/passenger-bass-duck
30th June 2012
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetres View Post
Huh? Many people use Maschine and Ableton together. It's not an either/or thing. You don't have to use Maschine as a plugin to use both and you don't have to stop using Drum Racks either.
Right right, but to use the Maschine hardware the way it was meant to be used (meaning all functions work, groups, etc.) then you have to use the vst, but yea of course if you want to use drum racks then you can use it in MIDI mode, but then it's just a really expensive set of pads, or a $500 launchpad.

My point was that if you want to use it as a method of sequencing your drums you pretty much have to use the VST software, or else it's just a $500 set of midi pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDuck View Post
Launchpad has no Velocity sensitivity, Maschines hardware can be used as a controller with velocity and you can use the sounds inside drum rack.
Again, right, but then what do you have besides a $500 controller that transmits velocity? It would be smarter (assuming you want to use the drum racks) to lay out your scenes on the drum racks and then sequence from a launchpad.
Clonkified
30th June 2012
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

A padKontrol would be a much cheaper option if I just wanted the velocity-sensitive pads (although with LPC, I doubt I'll miss that). LPC also enables hardware step sequencing on the Launchpad (with LED feedback).

The question then sort of becomes Live vs. the Maschine software - the Maschine software is definitely much more integrated with the hardware, but with LPC, pretty much all the equivalent Maschine functions in Live can be done from the Launchpad. Ableton, although it is long in the tooth, still has more software features for the most part (apart from the real-time clip automation) - better MIDI editing, a full arrange view, warping, etc.
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

quick thoughts...

1. LPC has a pretty good workaround for velocity on the launchpad. It works well for hihat parts. You can also use the LPC/Launchpad in tandem with another midi controller. I have a padkontrol also, but never rarely use it vs. the velocity drum mode in LPC.

2. You can actually record clip automation using a simple max4live plugin.

www.maxforlive.com - View Device Details

PLUS can also use Stray's ClyphX scripting to trigger virtually any type movement (midi, GUI keystroke, etc) as a clip.

The Beatwise Network - ClyphX for Live 8

Maschine seems great to bang something out on the quick fast. LPC can to that also plus way more. Feature wise, it's a whole lot deeper: Not only step drum sequencing, but 303 analog type sequencing, chopping/rearranging both MIDI and audio clips on the fly, scale mode, chord mode, etc.

check me out: www.cooloutmusic.com
4th July 2012
Old 4th July 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

Send a message via AIM to KevWest Send a message via MSN to KevWest Send a message via Skype™ to KevWest
I am curious what does Maschine actually bring to the table when you are using Live besides a hardware feel that can probably be had with the APC or whatever?
7th July 2012
Old 7th July 2012
Banned

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search